Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Would anyone be able to tell me the "general" maximum cable length that is
acceptable for a FTA setup? I am planning on using a Fortec Star Classic Lifetime receiver, and a Universal .4db single KU LNBF.

I realized today that my southern view wasn't quite as Southern as I had expected. True south seems to be directly behind a large tree.

It seems that I need to locate my dish at least 120' from the house. That seems like a lot of cable loss at KU band. I also am planning on using a Stab motor drive. I wonder what the drop in control voltage would be over this length.

If this is acceptable, would there be any noticeable loss of signal in a buried cable compared to an above ground run?

Thank you.

Should be fine, I have run double that length with no problems, best to get the BEST coax you can get, I use 2.2GHz but if you can get some quad shield "Flooded" cable all the better. This is specially made for burial. Also a good idea to run double the runs you need then you are future proofed, you only want to dig a trench ONCE!

Thank you. Never would have thought about laying more than one cable. At least not until the grass had grown over :)

123tim said:
It seems that I need to locate my dish at least 120' from the house.
That seems like a lot of cable loss at KU band.

If this is acceptable, would there be any noticeable loss of signal in a buried cable compared to an above ground run?
Hate ta see you use a lot of coax, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
a). this would be a lot of loss at Ku (11..12ghz) band, but luckily it's more like 1..2 ghz
b). signal loss is the same no matter where you stick it, unless you use different cable.

. :)

I'm using 150 feet of cable on my 33" dish here in Canada. I'm getting ok signal. It all is going to depend on what signal strength you have to start with, and I'd think that would mostly be a function of dish size and your location.

I've got a 150' run or so to the one receiver from the dish...works just as good as the one only 30' away :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVBS-100 found Intelsat Americas 5 but...

question on receivers??????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)