low fec rate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icu1954

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
lower alabama
does a satellite with a low fec rate give you a better chance at being successful at minibud testing,say with a 1 meter offset and conical scaler? possibly a bird like amc1 ?

Last edited:
the lower the number (1/2 being the lowest and 9/10 being the highest) the less signal you need to keep it stable

Good example I always used was Equity Broadcasting (when it was around). The feeds they had on 123W KU were 3/4 FEC so on my Pansat 1500 a 30-35 quality was minimum for threshold. The mux they had on 95W C-Band was 7/8 FEC which required at least a 75 quality on the meter. Anything lower and you had pixeling.

When White Springs was around on 129W KU they were 1/2 FEC. That could be stable at 10 quality

Using AMC1 as example RFD TV comes in more stable on the 6 footer (2/3 FEC) than Americas Auction at 5/6 FEC.

But just because FEC is low that doesnt mean it will come in on a smaller than recommended dish ;)

And the FEC is a part of the signal being uplinked-not the satellite itself. It is just one part of the process. And it gets too complicated for me to want to think about, lol.

FEC stands for Forward Error Correction.

A low number like 1/2 means that for every 1 bit of data, 2 bits are transmitted.
This is a large amount of error correction, the signal has 50% error correction, "High FEC"

A high number like 9/10 means that for every 9 bits of data, 10 bits are transmitted.
This is a small amount of error correction, the signal has only 10% error correction, "Low FEC"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Receiver Question

pc satellite apps dying out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)