Lost channels on DISH

ComputerGranny

Original poster
Aug 17, 2024
Texas
Sorry for a potentially dumb question. We have a Wally with DISH network in San Antonio area of Texas. This morning, when we started the Wally, the guide looked same as usual, but only a few of the channels we subscribe to will connect. All the others say we have no satellite signal. When we turned on the Wally, it seemed to check for a satellite connection at boot up.

I have tested the satellite connection, and it says it's working. We have been using Satellite 119 for years, and are on it. I've checked the DISH site, and they are not reporting any changes or problems on our account. The few channels we can get seem to be fine, but unless we use internet when offered on other channels, we can get no other service. The channels that work are 248, 259, 265, 266, 267, 268, 283 and 289 . I have reset the Wally twice. Once, using the diagnostic tools in the menu and once by just unplugging for 10 seconds. I also, restarted our Winegard Satellite dish. Each time, nothing changed.

When I try to check the transponders, they all say they are locked on satellite 110. I can't seem to get any transponder to work on 119.

I'm stumped for ideas to solve the problem. I really don't want to have to call out an installer to get this solved, especially when we do get service on a couple of channels. It seems like DISH changed something, but I can't figure out what.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Sorry for a potentially dumb question. We have a Wally with DISH network in San Antonio area of Texas. This morning, when we started the Wally, the guide looked same as usual, but only a few of the channels we subscribe to will connect. All the others say we have no satellite signal. When we turned on the Wally, it seemed to check for a satellite connection at boot up.

I have tested the satellite connection, and it says it's working. We have been using Satellite 119 for years, and are on it. I've checked the DISH site, and they are not reporting any changes or problems on our account. The few channels we can get seem to be fine, but unless we use internet when offered on other channels, we can get no other service. The channels that work are 248, 259, 265, 266, 267, 268, 283 and 289 . I have reset the Wally twice. Once, using the diagnostic tools in the menu and once by just unplugging for 10 seconds. I also, restarted our Winegard Satellite dish. Each time, nothing changed.

When I try to check the transponders, they all say they are locked on satellite 110. I can't seem to get any transponder to work on 119.

I'm stumped for ideas to solve the problem. I really don't want to have to call out an installer to get this solved, especially when we do get service on a couple of channels. It seems like DISH changed something, but I can't figure out what.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.
Call Dish
Get Tech
Solve Problem

Seriously, I get calls from my techs like this all the time. You probably have an equipment issue that cannot be fixed by asking questions on a website (or the phone) by people who aren;t there to test the system.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Call Dish
Get Tech
Solve Problem

Seriously, I get calls from my techs like this all the time. You probably have an equipment issue that cannot be fixed by asking questions on a website (or the phone) by people who aren;t there to test the system.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Appreciate your time.

From your mention that you "restarted our Winegard satellite dish" I am guessing this is a mobile/RV installation? These type antennas can typically point at only one satellite at a time, and when your receiver is asking it to move to the other one, there is something going wrong.

It could be a problem with the Wally, or the dish antenna, or the cable connecting the two together. Some troubleshooting you can try (this assumes you've already checked the obvious things like trees in the way, etc):
1- Check the cable connections both at the Wally and the antenna, make sure nothing's loose. This is one of the easiest things to check, maybe you'll get lucky.
2- if you have Dish service at home try carrying the Wally inside and connect it where your currently working reciever is. Do the "test switch" procedure and see if all your channels work. This would prove that the Wally is ok. If you don't have Dish at home maybe you know someone who does or another person with a similar setup in their RV or who would let you borrow their Wally long enough to test your setup.
3- Disconnect the cable that's probably run thru the innards of your RV at both the Wally and the antenna. Connect a temporary cable directly between the two, you might run it out a window or door to get to where the antenna is mounted. If this fixes it, the problem is your internal cabling. If not, the problem is in the antenna.

From your mention that you "restarted our Winegard satellite dish" I am guessing this is a mobile/RV installation? These type antennas can typically point at only one satellite at a time, and when your receiver is asking it to move to the other one, there is something going wrong.

It could be a problem with the Wally, or the dish antenna, or the cable connecting the two together. Some troubleshooting you can try (this assumes you've already checked the obvious things like trees in the way, etc):
1- Check the cable connections both at the Wally and the antenna, make sure nothing's loose. This is one of the easiest things to check, maybe you'll get lucky.
2- if you have Dish service at home try carrying the Wally inside and connect it where your currently working reciever is. Do the "test switch" procedure and see if all your channels work. This would prove that the Wally is ok. If you don't have Dish at home maybe you know someone who does or another person with a similar setup in their RV or who would let you borrow their Wally long enough to test your setup.
3- Disconnect the cable that's probably run thru the innards of your RV at both the Wally and the antenna. Connect a temporary cable directly between the two, you might run it out a window or door to get to where the antenna is mounted. If this fixes it, the problem is your internal cabling. If not, the problem is

3- Disconnect the cable that's probably run thru the innards of your RV at both the Wally and the antenna. Connect a temporary cable directly between the two, you might run it out a window or door to get to where the antenna is mounted. If this fixes it, the problem is your internal cabling. If not, the problem is in the antenna.
Thank you so much for this detailed information! I'm going to print it off so we can review it carefully. Thanks for taking the time to share so much.

Call Dish
Get Tech
Solve Problem

will dish ever get a 24/7 4K like Directtv has?

Curent SW version for the Hopper 3?

OTA USB stopped working on Hopper 3