loss of HDMI during sat acqusition phase

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ts7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
IL
I had a lightning strike in close proximity to my dish, it may have even been a direct hit. Now one of my HR24 receivers will not work in the HDMI1 port on my LG TV. RBR or power cycle appears normally on the TV but sometime after phase 1 of the satellite acquisition starts and before phase 2 starts, I lose the HDMI signal.

The odd thing is that it seems to work if I switch to HDMI2 on the TV. I have also completely cycled power on the TV as well. I would think if the HDMI port on the TV was bad, it wouldn't come up at all so I'm thinking the HR24 must be doing (or checking) something between Phase 1 & 2 that is causing the loss of signal on the HDMI cable.

This is very strange and I really can't determine if the problem is with the TV or the HR24. Has anyone else run into something like this? Does anyone know what the receiver is doing at the end if phase 1 or start of phase 2?

Thanks

It sounds like it's the tv and not the HR24. Have you tried connecting something else to the tv to test it?

I tried an H24 but it is completely fried - won't come up on any TV. I'm going to have to disassemble some other equipment to test further. I would think, though, if the TV were bad, the HDMI port wouldn't work at all, but instead it works through the blue screen and the first phase of the sat acquisition (with the DirecTV logo on the screen above the progress bar). Now that I have found a second bad receiver, I am going to make the call to support and get both units replaced. Just have to watch everything that was recorded first and write down the scheduled recordings. I sure wish there were a way to back these things up!!

I have actually heard of this quite a bit. I have never fully understood why, but it does happen. Have you tried swapping the cable? maybe its not the port on the tv but it could be.

My sister has an Emerson tv. Did the same thing only it would only take a A/V cables. It would get to step 2 and screen went black everytime.

Hutch1814 said:
My sister has an Emerson tv. Did the same thing only it would only take a A/V cables. It would get to step 2 and screen went black everytime.

Sounds like the same problem. Did it turn out to be the box or the TV?

ts7 said:
Sounds like the same problem. Did it turn out to be the box or the TV?

Unfortunately it ended up being the tv. I set up a service call just so I could swap the receiver and it did the same thing. She needed a new box anyways, kept disconnecting from the network (pretty sure the internal deca was bad). I brought her old "defective" box home and plugged it in to confirm that her tv was bad and it fired right up and had no issues on my tv

Hutch1814 said:
Unfortunately it ended up being the tv. I set up a service call just so I could swap the receiver and it did the same thing. She needed a new box anyways, kept disconnecting from the network (pretty sure the internal deca was bad). I brought her old "defective" box home and plugged it in to confirm that her tv was bad and it fired right up and had no issues on my tv

That appears to be the case here as well. Guess I will be making a call to my insurance agent too

Thanks

Just to add my experience, I've been to two different houses where the hdmi port stopped working after a couple of days on the tv. They where both h25s.

However, after doing some digging on another sat site there was a general consensus that even though I grounded everything properly the tv and directv box where having odd grounding issues. I cut the ground wire and it never happened again. My thought was their house wasnt grounded quite right. Power cube said the outlets where good but I don't know how to use an ohmmeter to do more of a thorough check.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV HR24-500 Issue. HELP!

HR34 not available to everyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts