Losing local channels if I don't upgrade the dish??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jbeck

Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Hey All,

Not sure if this has been brought up, but has anyone else noticed a message at the bottom of their screen warning of a "loss of programming"?

I called the number, and was informed that I would need to have my dish upgraded. When I asked why, basically I was given the runaround. I mean - correct me if I'm wrong, but my little 18 receives the same signal than one of those triple LNB dishes they were trying to pawn on me. I have one receiver, and I do not need any extra LNB's for it?

I haven't acted on this yet (committed to it), but before I do can anyone tell me of why D* would tell me I would lose local channels (coming right off the same sat feed, no??) if I do not?

Your 18" dish doesn't receive the same signals the multi-satellite dish does.

The 18" dish only receives on satellite (101), and the multi-satellite dish (hence the name) receives 3 (110, 119, 101).

DirecTV has launched a new spot beam satellite at 119 and they are moving local channels from the conus of 101 to the spots on 119.

I have a related question. I am in the process of replacing my old dish with a triple LNB (in preparation for the HR10-250, if I can ever get one). My current reciever is a Philips DSR6000R01 35 hour Tivo model.

My question is, it's okay that I put the triple LNB up now while I still am using my Philips receiver, right? It will still receive all the channels I get now, right?

Will this Philips even recognize all three sats?

jbeck, here is the issue...

You probably live in one of these markets:

Louisville
Des Moines
Shreveport
Tucson
Wilkes-Barre
Richmond
Roanoke
Jackson

These eight markets are going to be moved from the 101 slot (single LNB) to the 119 slot (the multi-satellite dish). Therefore, once the local channels listed above are moved, you will no longer have access to those channels.

slobizman, yes, you can put up the triple LNB dish now. All DirecTV w/ TiVo models are multi-slot aware.

Well, I changed to a triple LNB dish. Now I am able to get local channels on my DTV/40 hour TIVO receiver. However, on my very old standard RCA receivers (maybe 6 years old), it does not give me the local channels.

Any idea why?

A 6 years old receiver may not able to pick up 3 sats or dont has that in the menu set up.

Louisville has always been on 119. When I got D* I was told back in March that the phase-III dish was required because of this.

No, Neutron, Louisville is still on 101. Has been for the past year. DirecTV is about to make the cut-over to 119, but still hasn't done so.

I have a six year old receiver. It can ONLY pick up signals from 101. Call DirecTV to get a receiver upgrade, or go buy a new receiver. Either way, you'll be stuck with another one year commitment.

EDIT: Louisville locals on your old receiver should be located in the 670's, unless the cut-over has already been done.

EDIT #2: Since I don't know where either jbeck or slobizman reside, here is where those local channels are currently available using the older style receiver:

Tucson, Wilkes-Barre, Des Moines, Jackson, and Shreveport are all in the mid to high 400's.

Roanoke and Louisville are in the high 600's. Richmond is at 873-879.

can anyone tell me how this can be true?
jbeck Registered User Join Date: Jul 2004

he has 1 post right at the begining of this thread?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD-TiVo now available at Bestbuy.com

Intergrated HD sets and new receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)