Looking for portable Ku dish or how to make one?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
So I am looking to buy/build a portable Ku dish. I would like to be able to fold it up like an umbrella. Which leads me to my next question could I build one using an umbrella?

Thanks
Ken

Thanks for the link PSB. Make you wonder what is in/on the plasic that reflects the signal. I wonder if there is some kind of spray I could buy that would make what ever I put it on reflective?

PSB said:
Check this UK site out for some fold away satellite dish ideas you could copy, and my favorite a see through transparent KU dish!

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/caravan-satellite.htm

I was thinking of using snow sled BUT can not find a new metal one. Any idea if I can paint a plastic one with matelic paint?

Thanks

ken2400 said:
Thanks for the link PSB. Make you wonder what is in/on the plasic that reflects the signal. I wonder if there is some kind of spray I could buy that would make what ever I put it on reflective?

I don't think it will work, although I seen someone use a garbage bin lid to pick up satellite signals on TV once (so it MUST be true), these KU signals are very weak and the dish is precision made to collect every bit of signal they can, and to focus the signal into the LNB, even the fiberglass/plastic DirecPC dish have a mesh inside the reflector to collect the microwaves (Microwave oven door). Its worth tinkering with but I would not bank on it, hope you prove me wrong : )

I was at Lowes and was wondering if I could use metal screen when making the dish. I had not thought of a garbage bin lid. Not sure it would big enought for standard Ku. Might work for DTV/Dish network tho?

I wonder if anyone sell a portable 24" + dish?

PSB said:
I don't think it will work, although I seen someone use a garbage bin lid to pick up satellite signals on TV once (so it MUST be true), these KU signals are very weak and the dish is precision made to collect every bit of signal they can, and to focus the signal into the LNB, even the fiberglass/plastic DirecPC dish have a mesh inside the reflector to collect the microwaves (Microwave oven door). Its worth tinkering with but I would not bank on it, hope you prove me wrong : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where did the CBS thread go?

Strange DiscEq Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)