Looking for closed caption receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
I am thinking about buying a used FTA receiver.

Do anyone know of brands that are closed caption.

I need closed caption, so I can hook up my TVG unit to it.

Is the coolsat 6000 closed caption ?

Last edited:
Yes the CS 6000 does decode the close caption info (even CC1 Spanish and CC3 English on KTEL Telemnundo @ 79W) . I would even say that probably every other receiver also decodes close caption. You also have to enable CC on the TV menu and the STB as well for it to work. The only catch though , the receiver and the TV can not be connected using HDMI. I have seen just a few receivers claiming they can display close caption over HDMI but have not tested it yet. The CS 6000 is a very good SD receiver BTW.

Hope it helps.

If the channel has Closed Captions then almost every FTA can let pass through line 21 of the MPEG stream (that is where CC1 lies), BUT your TV needs to be CC compliant, if its just a monitor then most likely wont display the captions.

Old Stuff

If the channel has Closed Captions then almost every FTA can let pass through line 21 of the MPEG stream (that is where CC1 lies), BUT your TV needs to be CC compliant, if its just a monitor then most likely wont display the captions.

Line 21 went away with NTSC. DVB uses TS streaming data.

Line 21 went away with NTSC. DVB uses TS streaming data.

Uhm... yeah DVB uses TS (transport stream), but line 21 has not gone away (mainly due to the Television Decoder Circuitry Act that mandates that every tv set, receiver and tunner card has to be line 21 compatible).

So in short, DVB it's backwards compatible and it has line 21 capability, even if the close captions are transmited as a separate stream in the end is displayed by the receiver as plain line 21, but unlike coaxial and RCA cables, to my knowledge HDMI doesn't has a way of transporting the close captions to a tv (ATSC also is backward compatible as it has 2 streams for it so as to display alternate language captions and an additional stream that supports more than 60 streams with the 'new' format), and since DVB uses MPEG files it's rather easy to include it.

Cheers!

:)

M.

It is up to the source player (DVD, Satellite or Cable STB) to have the capability to decode CC and then overlay it on the video and send it via HDMI. For more info read here : HDMI not allowing Closed Captioning? - Page 5 - AVS Forum

Just recently I read and Ad on a FTA STB claiming it has this capability. Neither my CS 8100 nor my Bell TV 9242 HD PVR certainly do not. Well the Bell TV STB does the CC1 (English) via HDMI but for some extrange reason (software engineers laziness maybe, lol) it does not overlay Spanish CC2 that for instance ABC broadcasts (I have tried Bell DVB signal and Buffalo OTA as well since the 9242 has an ATSC tuner).

I know this is an old thread and that I recently posted this on the PBS one but still noone has answered it. As per PBS press release the "new" HD ditital signals on C band are supposed to have digital CC service. I have noticed the Azbox premium does not show any captions at all on any channel (it always say OFF when I press the Subt key). Has someone being abled with an AZbox to display CC on the before mentioned PBS channels?

Iceman, I'm glad someone revived this thread, so I have a question for you, as the resident cs5k guru. Does your 5000 get closed captioning? As I stated months ago, mine doesn't, and I for one would LOVE to have CC. I didn't realize how loud I had my TV turned up to hear, till one night when I was in my motor home in an RV camp, and someone banged on my door demanding that I turn the TV down. (Embarrassing to say the very least.)

Photto

I havent seen the 5000 do closed captioning ever...and some of the programs I viewed were the same as on Directv and they were closed captioned

I've seen CC on my GeoSatPro DSR-200c. You probably know this, but if you're wanting CC on wild feeds and the like, there won't be any captioning encoded. Usually someone from the captioning company dials up and adds CC while listening to the program audio (at least, for live events). This is done further down the chain back at the network or tv station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

? Audio on Huskervision ???

adding channels to stb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)