Looking for a smart stb satellite box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wildeye

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Is there a box out there that will use a motorized setup to scan for everything out there automatically?

Wildeye,

"No. Well yes, but actually not, but it does or it can, but no it won't."

How's that for an answer? I know that I am being facetious there, but there is an honest truth to it. A receiver with a GOOD BLIND SCAN capability is probably the best you can do. However, combining a good BLIND SCAN with a good motor control may be difficult to find. I think that this is what you are asking. You want to set your STB to scan the entire horizon for everything automatically... Moving the motor from sat to sat and scanning each sat all on its own. I have done this with the AZBox Premium Plus, but it is not perfect. The Coolsat 5000 will do this, but that is dependant on the firmware installed. Most receivers seem to continue scanning while it is moving the dish to the new position. Therefore you either lose a lot of information or you pick up a lot of junk along the way or both. This makes a real mess of your sat and channel list.

I totally understand your desire, but I don't think that you will be satisfied with any current receiver's options or ability in this regard. Some come really close to what you are looking for, but they all seem to lack one piece or bit of quality. Doing it manually is the best practice overall.

RADAR

I think there is one that will scan all sats in your list, but not search the arc looking for new/moved sats.
O IC the Guru beat me to the punch :)
Actually that could make a real mess of your list as sats don't all identify. Be more trouble to sort throught he mess afterwards

Last edited:
coolsat5000 or coolsat6000 can auto move, and blind scan however many sats you select... just dvb-s, NOT dvb-s2

it works great, I use that feature all the time... it waits untill its on the next sat before continuing to scan.

coolsat5000/6000 has very good motor control, and a quick blind scan

The Openbox is supposed to be able to scan every satellite in your active list. I haven't tried it, however, it does have one problem I've found anyway: sometimes if it's moving a long distance, say from a southern or western satellite down to Hispasat or vice versa, it'll start scanning in the beginning of the move. I've never had it do it when moving shorter distances though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can PrimeStar Feed and Linear LNB Converted For Circular?

Test your receiver sensitivity 72W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)