Looking for a player

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a player that is out or coming soon with the following features?

1. 7.1ch output
2. Built in DTSHD and Dolby TrueHD decoder
3. HDMI 1.3

I haven't been able to find (surprisingly) a player that has decoders and 7.1ch outs. I really don't want to buy a new receiver yet.

When DVD first came out, there were players with built in DD decoders and 5.1ch outputs all over. It seems the HD formats are not being as helpful.

Does anyone know if there is a player that is out or coming soon with the following features?

1. 7.1ch output
2. Built in DTSHD and Dolby TrueHD decoder
3. HDMI 1.3

I haven't been able to find (surprisingly) a player that has decoders and 7.1ch outs. I really don't want to buy a new receiver yet.

When DVD first came out, there were players with built in DD decoders and 5.1ch outputs all over. It seems the HD formats are not being as helpful.

1. When you are referring to 7.1 output, I assume you are referring to analog outs, yes? The Panasonic has 7.1 outs.

2. Be careful when you say DTSHD. There are two forms of DTSHD, High Resolution, which is lossy and handles 6mb/s, and Master Audio which is lossless and handles up to 24 mb/s. The only player that will do DTSHD in any form is the Panasonic. No current player will do Master Audio.

3. If a player is doing the decoding, 1.3 really isn't necessary.

But to answer your question, the only player that has been announced to date that meets all the criteria is the Denon DVD-3800BDCI which will be $2000 and kick some serious booty. It will be the only player that has the Realta Chipset, sweet, hence the cost. It will also meet profile 1.1 specs and be available this fall. I'm sure we'll hear more at CEDIA in about 3 weeks.

S~

I'm looking for a future-proof unit, hence the 1.3. But for now, I'm looking for 7.1 analog outs with built in decoder.

I just can't bring myself to buy a new receiver yet. I spent big (for me) $ on my Integra DTR-9.1 receiver, and even though it's almost 8 years old, it still kicks butt and I'd can easily get another couple years out of it.

Thanks for the info though. I guess I'll wait and see what the holidays bring. There's bound to be some new players coming.

Hot Fuzz HD-DVD gets 5/5 from HighDefDigest

3rd Gen HDDVD Players Coming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts