Looking at adding two DirecTivo's to setup...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Packhead

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Alright, so I clicked through a bunch of threads here but didn't really see a great answer for my setup.

I'm a DirecTV subscriber, and right now we have 4 recievers, all standard DTV receivers with Total Choice Premium, I believe. On the house, we've got an 18" dish (it looks like) with dual LNB's on it. There's a multi-switch built right onto the arm which goes 2*4, I'd assume (4 runs drop off right from the dish, and there's only two LNB's up there, so).

This Christmas, the parents are going to add a Tivo to the TV in the entertainment center, and I want to purchase one for my room. I'm going to need another two runs for this to work properly (don't want to have single-line Tivo's... defeats the point, no? :) )

So, my questions are:

1) Is there a way I can add just another multi-switch inside the house, something like 4*6, so I can get the two extra runs I want?

2) How does DTV price this? I thought I heard somewhere that if you pay the 4.95 for Tivo access, that gives you access for all tivo's you have at a location. So since I'm paying 15 dollars a month for the three extra recievers, would one of the "extra connection" charges go away, and only the 4.95 tivo charge remain on the bill? What would be the changes I'd see on the bill?

That's all I can think of right now... hopefully someone here has an answer to the two questions I posed. Thanks! :)

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

If you order through Directv, or better yet, Value Electronics (tell them you're a Satelliteguys member and get a 10% discount) your installation will include the multiswitch needed, at least when I had mine installed it was included).

It sounds like you have a Phase-III triple LNB dish. If so the multiswitch you need will be a 4X8. Like I said this should be included.

Depending on if you are going to remove any of your existing receivers you shouldn't have to pay any extra fee except for the one tivo fee, which covers ALL DTivos in your house. You would still have to pay the additional receiver fees, so if you are replacing 2 of your regular receivers with the DTivos then all you will see is a $4.99 increase in your bill for the DTivo fee. Make sense?

Neutron said:
Thanks ;)

Neutron said:
If you order through Directv, or better yet, Value Electronics (tell them you're a Satelliteguys member and get a 10% discount) your installation will include the multiswitch needed, at least when I had mine installed it was included).
Excellent... can't argue with saving money!

Neutron said:
It sounds like you have a Phase-III triple LNB dish. If so the multiswitch you need will be a 4X8. Like I said this should be included.
Sounds possible. It's 18x20, RCA branded with DTV logo on it, and if I remember, the owners manual said it could have three LNB's on there. Right now, there's only two installed, but there might be a spot for a third with a blanking plate or something... don't remember, it's been years since I've been up there fooling around with the dish. :)

I guess what I was wanting to do was do it myself and try and save cash wherever possible. If they offer free installation with the DTivo's though, I suppose it doesn't matter. I'd have to run the extra cables to the rooms though, unless I wanted to pay them, I'd assume..

Neutron said:
Depending on if you are going to remove any of your existing receivers you shouldn't have to pay any extra fee except for the one tivo fee, which covers ALL DTivos in your house. You would still have to pay the additional receiver fees, so if you are replacing 2 of your regular receivers with the DTivos then all you will see is a $4.99 increase in your bill for the DTivo fee. Make sense?
Make's perfect sense. I wasn't sure if they considered the tivo's individual connections an 'additional receiver', or if the Tivo charge covered all the boxes access charge.

Oh no, the second tuner on the DTivo is included. :)

You have an older Phase-II dish with an option later to add what's called a "Sat-C" kit which is the missing LNB. You would only need this for HD programming.

The cable runs to the locations are provided in your installation. However, wall fishing or any other special install usually costs extra.

The Tivo charge covers all DTivos in your house. I have two myself and both are covered. If you had DISH network you would have to pay the fee for each box, on top of the mirroring fee. You do have to pay the mirroring fee for each additional box on your account with Directv, even the DTivo boxes. That's pretty much standard though. I hope this helps.

Right, got that. :)

One of the runs would require them getting into the attic and doing a rather difficult run... I know, I just did it myself not too long ago and man is it difficult (no joke... really nasty run). The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'd just do a single hookup for the Tivo in my room, and do a dual for the Tivo downstairs. It's very rare that I want to record something while watching another in my room. Typically if I want to record something in my room, I'm either watching it or at work ;)

Thanks for the quick responses.. I'll be sure to checkout Value Electronics to get this install going.

If it has to be ran in the attic I believe they will charge extra for that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Value Electronics will take care of you. In fact, one of their head honchos frequents our forum here.

Let us know how your install goes. You will LOVE the DTivo!

Another quick question...

What's the deal between the different DVR's? I read a little about this new "R10" model that's either out or coming out... ValueElectronics is selling the DVR80. Is there a big reason to wait til they get the R10, or is the DVR80 pratically the same thing?

Value Electronics is also selling the R10.

From what I can tell the R10 has newer software that allows for programs to be put in folders. I guess it's a way of organizing them.

It is also a 70 hour recording capacity unit, like the DVR80.

When I go to their site, and choose HDR's, at the top it says "The R-10 is here...". There's a button slightly farther down, below the top unit, that says add to cart. When I add it to the cart, it takes me to a verisign page that has a picture of the DVR80. When I try and view the product listing from Verisign, I see nothing that says "R-10". Maybe I'm missing something here, but I surely don't see the R-10 listed? :confused:

Neutron said:

Neutron,
I have a question cam you run tivo through a 2 multi-switch if there is one build into the lmb. If so how? Cause i install 2 last week and could not run them through the 2nd multi-switch it would not work unless i ran 2 line from the dish to the tivo.
Tyork

At the least I would call DirecTV directly and get in touch with their retention reps(800-600-8977), they can give you a better deal than anyone else.

I got mine for free a couple months ago. The best anyone else could do was $99 not including install.

TYORK,

Your multiswitch needs to be cascadeable, and you need at least a 4X8 if you don't have an OTA antenna to mess with. You would hook all 4 lines coming from your Phase-III to this multiswitch, and then you have 8 tuners you can hook up. Each DTivo takes 2 tuners if you want the full functionality.

Packhead,

Call Value Electronics and speak to someone there. You can still get the Satelliteguys discount over the phone, just tell them your member name and Robert there can verify it.

Directv customer retention should only be called if you are threatening to leave. For something like this I wouldn't abuse it as it may ruin it for everybody. Besides, you may only get a 40 hour DTivo through them.

digital splitter?

forgive me for my ignorance, but can you use a digital splitter to split a single R6 cable for use with a dual tuner directv tivo unit?

a year ago I purchased my directv system and the install guy did the install great except he only ran enough lines for 3 recievers, not taking into account the tivo reciever was a two line reciever. Needless to say I was peeved, but because my wife had signed off on the install, best buy, the install company and directv refused to correct the "problem" without charging an additional installation fee.

I really don't want to have to run another line from my triple LNB, or drill another hole into my house to run a line. Is it possible to use a "digital splitter" to correct the problem? For example: the RCA 2-Way Digital Splitter Model: DT2SP?

Here's the link

Nope, a digital splitter will not work. It will make some of your channels not available.

Picked up a R-10 unit from Circuit City today (had a coupon for 10% off, so it was as good a value as ValueElectronics).

We'll see how this goes if I get around to hooking it up.

thanks for the advice... I went to BestBuy and bought a DVR-80 and then took it back (hours later) after reading more about the R-10.

Thanks again for the help!

That's what we're here for!!

Let us know what you think of it. If I ever replace any of my DTivos it will be with one like the R10.

Well so far it's great.. was easy as heck to setup. I definately see why dual lines is recommended though... Now I need to find a 4x6 multi-switch... any ideas on that?

BTW: R-10 is great. Really really fast guide, and the pausing live TV thing is just great. Very pleased so far.

Value Electronics also carries multiswitches. You still get a 10% discount for being a Satelliteguys member.

You would actually get a 4X8.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transponder question

DTC100 off air tuner problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts