LOGO "HD" channel looks like old VHS tapes!

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Ever since Dish added LOGO channel into its "HD Platinum" tier, the SD channel does look sharp compared to other SD channels.

Now I've noticed that even though my receiver still thinks it's a "HD" channel, the picture quality looks very compressed and even VHS-tape-looking.

What happened? Did DISH finally decide to shrink its bandwidth and keep the HD designation ?

From Logo's website:

Will Logo be offered in HD?

We're working on it but the cost of HD-friendly drag queen make-up alone is staggering. But seriously it's an expensive process and one that'll take a while to complete. We've just started shooting all our original series in HD, and it will take time to get everything else upgraded. We're looking into a possible HD channel launch in the future but don't have a date yet.

About | Frequently Asked Questions | Logo TV | Watch Free Videos & New Music Videos

Funny posts so far! However, it is sad that it isn't HD yet as Beautiful People was aired in HD in the UK and is even available in Blu-ray (Amazon dot com UK), but LOGO aired it in their crappy LOGO SD, with a lot edited out for language and to allow for commercials. While it may not be entirely Dish's fault, it still feels something of a rip-off that it is in the HD Platinum. Oh, and Viacom has tons of money to send LOGO out in HD tomorrow morning, if it wanted to.

On a larger point, I find LOGO a real disappointment as far as the content. Typical to a Viacom channel: lots of repeats of the same movies and the same TV shows, very little original programming, and for what should be a very edgy, pushing the boundaries channel obviously for grown-ups (unlike MTV), LOGO practices the Viacom standards and bleeps all the "dirty" words and cuts out all the explicit scenes. WTF! Even the few stand-up comics who have some good material get bleeped It's a gay channel NOT for kids. What's the point. Much of the content is just cheap and silly, as in NOT funny silly, just dumb silly. I expected LOGO to be, and it should be, a gay version of HDNET. You know, shows like Deadline, Get Out!, Bikini Destinations, and the always strangely compelling (it's just drunks or sex conventions, but it is still funny) Art Mann presents, all without the bleeping. Come to think of it, after writing this, I'm gonna watch HDNET now! Somebody should buy LOGO, fix it and put it in HD.

Ya, I thought that funny that it is LOGO HD, yet it is all SD. It would be nice to see it in HD! Ya, it is just too family friendly, like Kids are going to be watching LOGO, it is not like it is a basic cable channel, most people don't even have it, or if they do they never watch it. Really I know of only me and my gay friends that even know what LOGO is, all my straight friends, and family have no idea that LOGO is a channel and never watch it. I wish like HBO or Starz would like have a movie channel for gays and lesbians, it would be great.

I believe Bravo is more like what LOGO should be... with Tabitha's Salon Takeover, Top Chef-Just Desserts (which had more gay contestants than I've ever seen), Anything with Andy Cohen, All The Real Housewives, Million Dollar Listing, Top Design, The Gay Millionaire Matchmaker Episodes, etc... they seem to have more of the Gay demo than Logo ever has... I'd wish to see RuPaul and The A List move to Bravo and scrap LOGO all together. And it definitely is a rip-off to put it in a Platinum HD package!

I believe Bravo is more like what LOGO should be... with Tabitha's Salon Takeover, Top Chef-Just Desserts (which had more gay contestants than I've ever seen), Anything with Andy Cohen, All The Real Housewives, Million Dollar Listing, Top Design, The Gay Millionaire Matchmaker Episodes, etc... they seem to have more of the Gay demo than Logo ever has... I'd wish to see RuPaul and The A List move to Bravo and scrap LOGO all together. And it definitely is a rip-off to put it in a Platinum HD package!
Your right. I love Bravo, I watch Bravo more then any other channel. I love Tabitha's Salon Takeover, and all of their shows, and whats great is that my family and strighte friends know what Bravo is, and know the TV shows. I guess I watch LOGO for Ru Paul's Drag Race, and Be Good Johnny Weir, and a few movies that is about it. I have Latter Days on DVR from LOGO, but once I have a little extra cash I am going to buy the DVD better then having that cut up version on LOGO. So, after the year of free DISH Platinum I may just not keep it. But, I have been liking the DISHONLINE.COM movies from EPIX though.

I agree that the censorship - bleeps is extremely annoying. However, the reason I quit tuning in is the proliferation of advertising. I haven't taken a stopwatch to it, but it sure seems like they have double the commercials per hour over other channels. Also, I don't know the technical word for it, but those bombs and splats of advertising garbage that take over a tenth to a third of the screen advertising whats on next, or next week or next year is just adding insult to injury. The channel is a mess and someone more competent needs to take it over. LOGO as it is goes into the HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT dumpster along with the new & improved IFC with commercials.

Good point about Bravo as Queer Eye was among its best and funniest offerings, but they ruined that show into the ground. I have to say that I don't watch Bravo much anymore since Queer Eye died. I find the content too ordinary: I don't like the straight versions of the gay shows Bravo airs, either. I want something really different and at the boundaries more along the lines of Shameless UK version airing on Sundance Channel. I LOVE that show. It is hilarious and very naughty. "Tickets this way to the Chatsworth Express! Come and watch pikeys making a mess of their lives they were given by 'im upstars . . ."

Last edited:
I no longer can watch Bravo with all of its ads and bleeping. The only program I did record from Logo was Ed Wood. It was taken from just over 2 hours to nearly 3 hours with all the ads. Add to that the resolution reduction. I just hope this channel is not blocking it from showing on other channels as Bravo seems to block others from Green Mile?
-Ken

Food Channel HD going out?

Dish's New Satellite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)