Living in an RV

Bill3315

Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Full Timers
I am new to the forum. This is my first post here.

We live full-time in our motor coach and change our location about 3 or 4 times a year. This is our primary home, so we don't have a "fixed" residential address for service. We do have an address for mail purposes, but not for satellite service. I am considering a Dish Network account since their HD programming is on the standard satellites that my Kingdome can receive. The problem I run into is that the agents I have spoken with so far (at Dish and the DishStore) are confused about how to set up such an account. In fact, the agent at Dish said he could not set up that kind of account--I would have to go to a satellite service dealer who offers Dish Network. At the DishStore, I was told that Claud, the owner, is the only one who might be able to help me with this.

Do any of you folks know of a Dish distributor who is totally familiar with the RV lifestyle and commonly sets up accounts for full-time RVers? The process was MUCH easier when I used DirecTV. The problem with Direct (among others) is that they moved their HD programming to a satellite band that my installed Kingdome cannot read. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Just a suggestion.....from the address that you may be now, locate a retailer for Dish. Contact that retailer and ask the same question that you have directed to the forum. You will learn from that "eye to eye" contact, what is needed to establish a Dish service account. An excellent source for location of a retailer would be the areas yellow pages directory.

I am new to the forum. This is my first post here.

We live full-time in our motor coach and change our location about 3 or 4 times a year. This is our primary home, so we don't have a "fixed" residential address for service. We do have an address for mail purposes, but not for satellite service. I am considering a Dish Network account since their HD programming is on the standard satellites that my Kingdome can receive. The problem I run into is that the agents I have spoken with so far (at Dish and the DishStore) are confused about how to set up such an account. In fact, the agent at Dish said he could not set up that kind of account--I would have to go to a satellite service dealer who offers Dish Network. At the DishStore, I was told that Claud, the owner, is the only one who might be able to help me with this.

Do any of you folks know of a Dish distributor who is totally familiar with the RV lifestyle and commonly sets up accounts for full-time RVers? The process was MUCH easier when I used DirecTV. The problem with Direct (among others) is that they moved their HD programming to a satellite band that my installed Kingdome cannot read. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
To get a hold of Cluade, you could Private Message him on here. His Screen Name on this board is Claude Greiner

Geoff

We live full-time in our RV. We just called DishTV up and ordered the service. They set up an appointment and had an installer come and put a dish on a tripod and cabled up the receiver.

When the installer went away, we hooked up our roof dish. We actually have switches to go between the ground dish and the roof dish.

It is handy to carry a ground dish anyways to handle those times you are stuck under trees.

Use your mail forwarder as your address. Get DNS from All American for broadcast channels.

We live full-time in our RV. We just called DishTV up and ordered the service. They set up an appointment and had an installer come and put a dish on a tripod and cabled up the receiver....

Yes, you have to keep it simple for dish. I have had dish for many years, in both the RV and our house, and the less you complicate things the better. I just don't ever mention an RV. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around the halls of Dish when it comes to this topic. As mentioned, you then talk to All American about getting your distant networks and it is with them that you provide all the RV info to get the network waiver.

Yes, you have to keep it simple for dish. I have had dish for many years, in both the RV and our house, and the less you complicate things the better. I just don't ever mention an RV. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around the halls of Dish when it comes to this topic. As mentioned, you then talk to All American about getting your distant networks and it is with them that you provide all the RV info to get the network waiver.

While you can get the RV waiver, you can also just change your service address in order to get the locals wherever you are, SD and HD. Most RV parks/campgrounds have numbered lots so you just use their addy and the lot/site #. I would do this if you only move a few times per year and want HD.

Thanks for the great info. I perhaps took a bit more costly approach, but it should work for us. We were only interested in the HD lineup since the SD offers have so many filler channels (shopping, etc.) that we never use. We also don't use any of the music channels. For us, the Turbo Bronze HD should be a good starting point. I purchased 2 VIP 211k units from the DishStore. That way, we also will not have any commitments with Dish Network. Claud was a great help in solving the issue. We'll probably go with AAD for the networks in SD since we don't watch that many network programs anyway. We just need them to feed our few additions (Heroes, Lost, and Galactica). No matter where we are, we can't miss those!

My wife and I fulltime and our Billing Address is our mailing address. Our Service Location is where we happen to be. We don't change locations very often. I set up my tripods and dishes (one dish for 119/110 and a 2nd for 61.5) and zero in on the birds. Once I am up and running I call DN if I need to change my location.

722 Issue

VIP622 recordings halt early

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)