Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
LIVE FUTBOL: Spanish Primera Liga
WorldSport-HD: Saturday, February 19, at 2 PM EST

_real_madrid2_.gif
Real Madrid vs.
_athl_bilbao_.gif
Athletic Bilbao

La Liga Report starts half hour before the Game. It features an interview with Zaragoza midfielder MOVILLA

For the latest schedules and standings, please check the following thread:
Schedule of Live Soccer Matches on WorldSport-HD

Logos are courtesy of www.hqfl.dk

soccer21905.jpg

Real Madrid v Athletic Bilbao: Preview

PA Source

Ronaldo's inability to keep time could cost him his place as Real Madrid entertain Athletic Bilbao in a vital Primera Liga clash at the Bernabeu.

Madrid need all three points if they are to keep the pressure on league leaders Barcelona, who entertain struggling Mallorca.

However, the Brazilian striker has managed to annoy both coach Wanderley Luxemburgo and president Florentino Perez in the past four days and could well find himself punished for his attitude.

Monday saw Ronaldo jet off to Paris to marry model Daniela Cicarelli in a lavish ceremony and then report an hour late for training the day after.

He was again late for training on Wednesday, in a session he was unable to finish because of an injury to his big toe.

Ronaldo then compounded matters by arriving 55 minutes late for the presentation of Perez's official biography on Thursday night.

When he finally did turn up he caused such a commotion as he arrived with his wife that the presentation was delayed, to Perez's evident annoyance.

With Michael Owen stepping up the pressure for an attacking berth, Ronaldo could find himself starting on the bench as a wake-up call from Luxemburgo, although the move would also keep him fresh for next Tuesday's Champions League clash against Juventus.

At the back Raul Bravo will step in for the suspended Roberto Carlos, while Luxemburgo could also choose to rest Zinedine Zidane, giving Guti a run out.

Meanwhile, Santiago Solari believes that despite some mediocre performances in recent weeks, Madrid's current run of seven straight wins is down to more than luck.

He said: "We have to think that you make your own luck when you play well. We take the games one at a time.

"All we think about are the three points we can get, because we can't worry about what anyone else does."

Athletic should present a stiff challenge to Madrid's recent form. The Basque outfit travel to the Bernabeu unbeaten in nine games and although they suffered the disappointment of seeing their scheduled UEFA Cup game against Austria Vienna postponed because of a frozen pitch on Wednesday, that could work in their favour.

It was hugely disappointing to the 5,000 fans who travelled to Vienna without seeing a ball being kicked, but they can take comfort that their side are now a lot fresher for their game in Madrid.

As well as that, in midfielder Fran Yeste, Athletic have one of the players of the moment in La Liga and Yeste believes Madrid are there for the taking.

"It's true we are fresher than we expected to be, although we have had to make a long journey," he said.

"We will go to the Bernabeu to play the fearless football we have been playing of late with no inferiority complex.

"We are going there to win and we are not thinking about renouncing a triumph at any moment."

Yeste also questioned Madrid's form, adding: "They have got results, but to tell the truth they have not played well. We know they are strong at home, but they have weaknesses that we will try to exploit with our game."

Coach Ernesto Valverde will try and do just that by using Joseba Etxeberria and Santi Ezquerro and sending Andoni Iriola further forward in an attempt to exploit Madrid's lack of pace in defence.

Sean Mota said:
I am warming up for the game. :) La Liga Report in less than 15 minutes​
:D

I am not at home yet, but I might be joining in later on.

Shots like that are nighmares for Referee Assistants. There is no way physically that he could get there in time from where he was with the offside line with the second to last defender and the shot was from so far out. That is extremely unfortunate.

timfouts said:
you must be doing the same thing I'm doing, watching both

Actually one of the announcers announced it. I have my SD TV on goltv. That is in the bedroom and it takes sometime to get there.

Peter Gabriel on Rave HD 9pm ET

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on Starz 261

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)