Lack of D* HD Recievers?!?!?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AIA_SMALZ_11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I have been waiting for awhile to purchase a HD satelitte reciever. I would like to buy one within 2 months, but i found that there are only 2 to be found. The sammy that pretty much everyone carries and the RCA one from DirecTV. If i remember correctly that about 8 months ago we had a few more to choose from like the Hughes and the sony one. What happened. Did they stop making them? Are new ones coming out soon? I have heard way to may problems with the sammy. Heard fewer about the RCA and can't really afford the HD Hughes. So what should i do hold out or buy either the Sammy or RCA? :confused:

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Directv is gearing towards making their own receivers from now on. They've contracted Thompson (who makes RCA) to do this.

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Directv is gearing towards making their own receivers from now on. They've contracted Thompson (who makes RCA) to do this.

I really hate to hear that they chose Thompson to make thier receivers because thier stuff is junk. I really liked the Hughes receivers.

You might be able to find some others online still. I am not sure where you are looking, possibly Best Buy & Circuit City? Check some more specialized Audio /Video stores like Tweeters, Good Guys, Ultimate Electronics or a local AV store. I know one store near me called Leigh Adams (http://www.800bigscreens.com) still has some of the Sony boxes.

The longer you wait though, means less & less options.

As for HD boxes I have the older Samsung 160 model and I have no complaints with it.

ramy said:
I really hate to hear that they chose Thompson to make thier receivers because thier stuff is junk.
And they're French. :(

You best bet would be to find one on ebay. There are still some of the new Toshiba's out there as well.

you can find many just out of production Hughes, Sony, LG, and Zenith boxes on ebay. New release does not mean its better.

Since you are not looking at the HR10-250, I would give my vote to the HTL-HD. It is a solid & reliable receiver.

I have the HTL-HD and I can vouch for it's reliability. I would highly recommend it.

I'd like to add LG made the Hughes HTL-HD and the Sony 300. Thomson is not the only manufacturer that Directv has contracted with the D-10 is built by Samsung, Thomson & Phillips.

boba, very good inside information. My contacts tell me very much the same thing you said, Thompson, Samsung and Philips are the only authorized DIRECTV manufacturers. It appears that Thomson is the favored vendor. To date Thomson has built all of the D-10s, but no matter who makes them they will have the exact same specs.

Samsung is slated to build the next DIRECTV HD STB and Thomson will continue building the HR10-250. All three suppliers will share in the SD DVR products.

This is not 100% official, but reliable and accurate.

-Robert

If that's the case lets hope Samsung will correct the many issues that seemed to pop up in their 360 HD receivers, with these new ones.

I think this just proves cost over quality. Isn't Philips owned by Koninklijke NV ?

So does this mean if & when they move to a new multi-sat system we all have to buy this inferior crap?

I just recieved a RCA DTC210 the onscreen menus are just like the Sammy. They had sent me a Hughes to replace my Sammy and I loved it. But I could not get the picture to center on my screen. It was way to the left. D* sent me a RCA. I think the picture quality on the Hughes is much better. Too bad I couldn't keep it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTV International Set Up ?

Trouble aiming 119 dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts