KUKC

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Now active on their new frequency, RF-14.

11.2 mbps. No subchannels.

2B384A83-D533-47A0-900A-47B452D974C5.png

I rescanned my Fire TV Recast and KUKC 14 in Kansas City added 4 new subchannels. Line up is: 14.1 UNI, 14.2 Shop HQ, 14.3 Funroad, 14.4 Shop HQ2, 14.5 AceTV, 14.6 OAN, 14.7 AWE,
14.8 Infomercials!

But what is odd is that the KUKC 14.2 thru 14.8 show in the channel lineup on the Fire TV Recast but DO NOT play! Only 14.1

All KUKC 14 channels play on a 50" Hisense Roku TV and a 24" LG TV, I use as a monitor, but they scan in but DO NOT play on older model 32" Emerson TV!

Any ideas why??

Last edited:
I haven't been able to get KUKC for several years. I can get other LP's like KGJC, KAJF, KCMN, etc., but not that one.
KUKC has a strong signal (strongest of the LP's) for me but I'm only 14 miles NE from transmitters! I can only watch channel 14.1!!

When they switched operators / owners they added 3 subchannels (NewsNet, sports and Shop HQ) and was able to watch those channels.

A few weeks ago they changed the line up and replaced NewsNet and sports with Shop HQ 14.2, Fun Roads 14.3 and Shop HQ2 14.4!
I was able to watch all the channels until they added subchannels 14.5 thru 14.8 sometime around Sept. 1!! Since then, I can scan the 14.1 thru 14.8 channels on the Fire TV Recast line up but can watch channel 14.1!!

The odd thing is the Fire TV Recast has a very good tuner and never any issues prior!!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
How old is your Emerson TV? And since I read that the Fire TV Recast doesn't feed directly to a TV but through some other Fire TV-related device, what's that and how old?

A possible reason you can see 14.1 but not 14.2-14.8 is that to add 4 more subchannels the broadcaster may have changed all but 14.1 from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 (H.264). H.264 was allowed on broadcasts from July 2008 but few stations use it because most older TVs (and some newer ones) don't decode it. The Recast first came out in 2018 so it probably could deal with H.264 if it decodes anything at all but it probably feeds to another device that does the decoding.

RabbitEars data on KUKC still shows just 4 subchannels and the TSReader Data that could tell the format of each subchannel is dated back to 2021.

TSReader Lite is free and runs on Windows but I don't know if it can see the feed from the Recast. I use it with HDHomeRun tuners.

How old is your Emerson TV? And since I read that the Fire TV Recast doesn't feed directly to a TV but through some other Fire TV-related device, what's that and how old?

A possible reason you can see 14.1 but not 14.2-14.8 is that to add 4 more subchannels the broadcaster may have changed all but 14.1 from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 (H.264). H.264 was allowed on broadcasts from July 2008 but few stations use it because most older TVs (and some newer ones) don't decode it. The Recast first came out in 2018 so it probably could deal with H.264 if it decodes anything at all but it probably feeds to another device that does the decoding.

RabbitEars data on KUKC still shows just 4 subchannels and the TSReader Data that could tell the format of each subchannel is dated back to 2021.

TSReader Lite is free and runs on Windows but I don't know if it can see the feed from the Recast. I use it with HDHomeRun tuners.

Thanks for the info / reply!
1. The Emerson TV is maybe 12 yrs old!
2. The Fire TV Recast I purchased in November of 2018. I liked it from the beginning but as you said it only works with a Fire TV device (Fire TV Stick)! I would never purchase another one due to that reason!!
3. I feel it's something they may be experimenting with as the info has not been updated for KUKC and can watch 14.2 thru 14.8 on the Roku TV an LG TV.
4. I am going to try the TSReader Lite to see if it will get a feed from the Recast!

KIRO TV Translators

How to repair antenna wire