Killebrew ends fight against cancer, looks to hospice: UPDATE....he has passed away

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
Ultimate Astros » Killebrew ends fight against cancer, looks to hospice
MINNEAPOLIS — Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew said Friday he will no longer fight his esophageal cancer and is settling in for the final days of his life.
The Minnesota Twins released a statement on Friday from Killebrew, who said he has “exhausted all options” for treatment of the “awful disease” and that the cancer is incurable.
“It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end,” he said. “My illness has progressed beyond my doctors’ expectation of cure.”
The 74-year-old Killebrew said he will enter hospice care.

Sad news from a baseball legend, and a heck of a nice guy. I remember watching Mr. Killebrew hit the snot out of a baseball at Tiger Stadium in '71 or perhaps '72...the ball almost cleared the roof in Left-Center field.

Anyway, I'll withold my condolences until Harmon's passing.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

I was akid in '67 when the Twins and Red Sox were part of a four way pennant race and Kilebrew and Yaz were battling for the home run lead. It came down to the last weekend of the sasona and a two game series in boston and the Red Sox had to sweep the Twins to have a chance. I cringed every time Killebrew came up to bat and he did hita home run that would have given him the home run title if Yaz had not hit another one to take the HR title (and triple crown), the game and the series and the pennant.

I hated Killebrew in those days but once I found out about all of his charity work, the fact that he had personally congratulated Yaz on the triple crown and the pennanat etc I realized that the guy was worth looking up to even if he did not play for my team. Like a lot of baseball fans i will miss the guy when he is gone.

I was saddened to hear this news this morning. Harmon was my hero as a boy. I loved that I got to see him play at the Met. But it meant even more to me that — when my family went to see him at a Twins Fest event, and later at Bob Feller’s museum in Van Meter, Iowa — he treated my kids with dignity, respect, and genuine interest. He even got down on his knees to talk to my little girl face to face and made her feel like she was the center of attention that day instead of him. He was even more my hero then. Godspeed and bless him and his family.

The pics are my daughter with Harmon at Twins Fest (late 90s?) and my son last year at Killebrew Field in Payette, Idaho. My son was so impressed with his two meetings with Harmon, that, when he found out we were driving through his hometown, we had to stop for pictures.

Attachments

• jorden-harmon.jpg
    jorden-harmon.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 162
  • rjatkfield.jpg
    rjatkfield.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 164
salsadancer7 said:
OMG..!!! Please do not think I wish him dead.... Geez...I feel TERRIBLE.....:(

Honest mistake Salsa...just glad you didn't R.I.P. me when I announced that I was feeling a little under the weather in the Stanley Cup Playoff thread. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Trivia quetion: what former Washington Senator was once the state high school champion in the hundred yard dash and had his first major league at bat as a seventeen year old second baseman?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I post this in the wrong thread?

Reggie Jackson credits Killebrew with having invented the home run trot. He said that Killebrew wasn't showboating when ihe did it, it was just that because he hit such high fly balls, there wasn't any point in running them out, even if they only just made it over the fence, because they were either going to go out or get caught.

Last edited:
I was saddened to hear this news this morning. Harmon was my hero as a boy. I loved that I got to see him play at the Met. But it meant even more to me that — when my family went to see him at a Twins Fest event, and later at Bob Feller’s museum in Van Meter, Iowa — he treated my kids with dignity, respect, and genuine interest. He even got down on his knees to talk to my little girl face to face and made her feel like she was the center of attention that day instead of him. He was even more my hero then. Godspeed and bless him and his family.

The pics are my daughter with Harmon at Twins Fest (late 90s?) and my son last year at Killebrew Field in Payette, Idaho. My son was so impressed with his two meetings with Harmon, that, when he found out we were driving through his hometown, we had to stop for pictures.

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Worst MLB Contracts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts