Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
OK, it's time for another challenge, I've become bored with how easy FTA has become with a motor. :) Imagine how bored I'd be if I had a blind-scan receiver. :D

Here's what I want to accomplish.
- Replace the Primestar LNBF on the motorized dish with a Universal LNBF (even though I only speak English, I just gotta have all that Spanish-language content!)
- Strap a DBS LNBF next to it to get NASA, GOL, radio, etc from E* and BEV
- or, get an Invacom LNBF that does both linear and circular (do they make one that handles Universal as well?)

I already have a DiSEqC switch that is switching between the motorized dish and fixed dishes pointed at sats the motorized one can't "see" due to trees, etc.

What do I need and how/where do I connect it? (I think what I need is a 22khz tone switch connected between the motor and the LNBFs?)

Will replacing a standard linear LNBF with a universal one lose any ability or will it get all the standard frequencies in addition to the universal ones? I know I have to change the LO value.

REALLY the only extra channel that you will gain by getting a Universal is Cubavision on Pas 9 and even that channel is available else where!
(You will not loose any channles with a Universal)

The other down side of a universal is it takes longer to blind scan both bands.

I would start with a cheapo Universal then you will be able to see if its worth it. Or not.

Pepper said:
OK, it's time for another challenge, I've become bored with how easy FTA has become with a motor. :) Imagine how bored I'd be if I had a blind-scan receiver. :D
Here's what I want to accomplish.
- Replace the Primestar LNBF on the motorized dish with a Universal LNBF (even though I only speak English, I just gotta have all that Spanish-language content!)
- Strap a DBS LNBF next to it to get NASA, GOL, radio, etc from E* and BEV
- or, get an Invacom LNBF that does both linear and circular (do they make one that handles Universal as well?)
I already have a DiSEqC switch that is switching between the motorized dish and fixed dishes pointed at sats the motorized one can't "see" due to trees, etc.
What do I need and how/where do I connect it? (I think what I need is a 22khz tone switch connected between the motor and the LNBFs?)
Will replacing a standard linear LNBF with a universal one lose any ability or will it get all the standard frequencies in addition to the universal ones? I know I have to change the LO value.

Strap that sucker on the side of the LNB! I made sure the face of the LNB was matched up with the face of the KU band one. I had the wife in house nudging back and forth on Nimiq2, weak DBS signal in the south, while I had the LNB taped to a plastic stick so I could get an idea of the best angle and distance from the dish. I was going to fabricate a piece of metal to make a bracket but she had another idea. She comes outside with a foam like flipflop and scissors. She cuts two strips out to fit the necks of the LNB's, puts the foam in between each LNB, then zip ties it down. Perfect distance and angle! Dish's birds now come in 99% quality with no change for several "nudge clicks" back and forth. I've got 'er hooked on this FTA and wild feed stuff now.

Put the diseqc switch after the motor and before the two LNB's. It's easy.

digiblur said:
Put the diseqc switch after the motor and before the two LNB's. It's easy.
I will try that but I'm already using the diseqc switch for another fixed-position dish to get the one sat 129 that's obstructed for the motorized dish so I will lose that to connect the dbs lnbf. I don't think I can cascade diseqc switches can I?

Pepper said:

I wish!

Remember you can use a cheapo Universal LNBF to find and store channels that require the the lower band, then switch back to the QPH-031 and the channels will still be there ;)

Pepper said:
I will try that but I'm already using the diseqc switch for another fixed-position dish to get the one sat 129 that's obstructed for the motorized dish so I will lose that to connect the dbs lnbf. I don't think I can cascade diseqc switches can I?

Get a four port switch.

ok, i think i understand, I can put the switch between the motor and its dish on port #1, then run port #2 to the dbs lnbf, and ports 3 and 4 to fixed dishes.

For some reason I felt like the fixed dishes needed to bypass the motor completely but I guess not?

Pepper said:
ok, i think i understand, I can put the switch between the motor and its dish on port #1, then run port #2 to the dbs lnbf, and ports 3 and 4 to fixed dishes.
For some reason I felt like the fixed dishes needed to bypass the motor completely but I guess not?

Yep you got it... then go into the receiver and set those fixed dish's satellites with the positioner as disabled but with the correct diseqc port. That way when you pick one of those channels it just sends a port switch command and doesn't send a positioner command.

Got it all working, thanks!

Everything's coming in great except for Nimiq 2 @ 82. I think I'm too far south for that.

82w comes in fine here in New Orleans... possibly there is a LOS obstruction? It is weaker than the other DBS birds here though... I never can get more than about 80 quality on it, even with a 36" dish, whereas the other DBS satellites always peg the meter...

There's not too much on it anyway, a few radio channels and, I believe, the BEV info channel that's also on 91w.

Last edited:
82 is a cippled bird. When they put it in orbit, something fried so they can only run I think 24 of the 32 TP's at a time (and thats not even full power)

Here in MN, 82 maxes at 85 signal. The rest as tron noted peg the meter :)

There are 6 audio stations (Cool 99.1 which is a jazz station is on there) and a couple video channels (one is the XPRS channel which is also on 91)

I could barely lock 2 of the transponders on 82 at about 50-60%. Amazingly I get all 32 transponders at 91 which means the crippled one at that slot is coming through fine.

A shame really, from watching the info stuff on 91 it looks like they have a lot of better stuff available and almost ala-carte subscription plans. $27CDN basic package is a lot better price point than Dish's lowest package. (this is off-topic and I will restrict any additional commentary to the Canadian forum)

Pepper said:
I could barely lock 2 of the transponders on 82 at about 50-60%. Amazingly I get all 32 transponders at 91 which means the crippled one at that slot is coming through fine.
I know TP4 on 82 won't EVER come in..they are using that for internet
but I just checked 82 and there are some weak transponders

A shame really, from watching the info stuff on 91 it looks like they have a lot of better stuff available and almost ala-carte subscription plans. $27CDN basic package is a lot better price point than Dish's lowest package. (this is off-topic and I will restrict any additional commentary to the Canadian forum)
its your post, so theres no issue :)

With ExpressVu, most stuff (English/French) is on 91
82 is for HD, Ethnic, some "local" locals (most CBC & CTV are owned by the Netwrok. The ones that aren't are on 82) and a few English channels

Iceberg said:
82 is a cippled bird. When they put it in orbit, something fried so they can only run I think 24 of the 32 TP's at a time (and thats not even full power)
Here in MN, 82 maxes at 85 signal. The rest as tron noted peg the meter :)
There are 6 audio stations (Cool 99.1 which is a jazz station is on there) and a couple video channels (one is the XPRS channel which is also on 91)

If I remember correctly they put Nimiq2 up to replace Nimiq1 at 91. Nimiq2 was running great and had transitioned everything over. Nimiq2 was supposed to be a hotter bird with more of the signal directed at Canada, which would have also put a hamper on the widespread hacking from the US with 18" dishes. Nimiq1 was sent over to 82 degrees. Then something went wrong with Nimiq2, they corrected the problems and pulled Nimiq1 back to 91 and reversed the process. Nimiq2 was then sent to 82. One of DirecTV's aging birds was then purchased/leased and sent over to 91 degrees for an in orbit spare.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

3500S cold boot needed; AC3 decoding?

Pansat 2700A with a hh90 motor help needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)