Just got the VIP 722 - can I watch live TV while recording something else?

Brent L

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
SC
We have two TVs hooked up of course, one HD and one SD. Is it possible, on the HD set, to watch a live show while recording another live show? If not, what do I need to have to be able to make that happen? I have heard that this thing can record up to three HD shows simultaneously while playing back a fourth. Is that true? Thanks in advance!

We have two TVs hooked up of course, one HD and one SD. Is it possible, on the HD set, to watch a live show while recording another live show? If not, what do I need to have to be able to make that happen? I have heard that this thing can record up to three HD shows simultaneously while playing back a fourth. Is that true? Thanks in advance!

Enable Record Plus to TV2. Yes to the last question.

Press Menu - 8 - 5. You can watch TV on TV1 while something records on TV2. You can also record programs on TV1 and TV2 while watching a DVRed show. You can only record up to 4 shows if you have the OTA module for your locals.

That is awesome, but forgive me, I'm a DVR dummy. Where do I go to enable the feature? Thanks again.

Plus the 722 has another feature. The dvr also records up to either the last hour or back to the time you last changed channels. So, if you are watching a show you can pause it, then resume it and skip commercials until you are back to real time. If you are watching a show and then decided you wanted to record it, you can rewind back to the beginning ( if less than 1 hour) and start recording it to the dvr.

Alright, now I'm confused. It seems I'm hearing two different things.

So the only thing I can do is record on one TV, and watch something different on the other one?

What I'd like to do is record something live in HD on the HD set while at the same watching something live in HD on a different channel, all on the same set. Is that one possible?

Plus the 722 has another feature. The dvr also records up to either the last hour or back to the time you last changed channels. So, if you are watching a show you can pause it, then resume it and skip commercials until you are back to real time. If you are watching a show and then decided you wanted to record it, you can rewind back to the beginning ( if less than 1 hour) and start recording it to the dvr.

That's the reason I like Dish's 625 MPEG2 SD DVR so much,because it has a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers.:)

If only Dish network's engineers could find a way to add that feature to the 722,for me they would have a winner and I would change out my 625,until then I imagine I will be the last 625 Dish will change out.:(

So the only thing I can do is record on one TV, and watch something different on the other one? Correct

What I'd like to do is record something live in HD on the HD set while at the same watching something live in HD on a different channel, all on the same set. Is that one possible?
ALL recordings are HD, Its the outputs of the receiver that are HD for TV1 and SD for TV2.

If you do not have the OTA module (Over the Air). You have 2 tuners. You Can

Watch live TV on TV1 and watch Live TV on TV2, Can not record
or
Watch Live TV on TV1 Record on TV2 (TV2 can watch any recorded shows)
or
Record on TV1 and Record on TV2 (TV1 and TV2 can watch recorded shows)

If you have or add the OTA module you can then record or watch 2 Additional Shows
that are available by Antenna, So it is possible to record 4 channels at once and watch 2 recordings at the same time.

So the only thing I can do is record on one TV, and watch something different on the other one?

Yes, if you are in Single Mode. But, your TV2 would be showing the same thing as your HD. I suggest taking time to browse your user's manual. All of the above is discussed and outlined.

Yes. As mentioned above, set your primary recording channel to TV2. Tehn go to the Guide and select the 1st program you want to record. I will record in HD on TV2. If you want to record/watch something else at the same time, it will record to TV1. Both TV1 and TV@ tuners can record in HD at the same time. You can also record/watch something to the OTA input at the same time.
If you are recording on TV1, you will only be able to watch TV1 or OTA or something from the DVR
When watching TV only the TV hooked up as your primary TV can show HD. The secondary TV output will down convert the video.
Hope this helps.

STOP.

Some posts above may be misleading. You have two satellite tuners. They both can record HD or SD. They are independent of the outputs, TV1 & TV2. The TV1 output can put out HD. The TV2 output can only output in SD. Those two satellite tuners can feed one or both outputs at the same time. They can also record to the built in HDD. You can record two programs HD or SD, to the DVR HDD at the same time, while also watching one of those programs, or watching another program already recorded- for example.

It's really simple, once you realize that you need to remember that the inputs, tuners, are completely separate from the outputs, TV1 & TV2. BTW TV2 can output an HD program, it will just be downrezzed to SD.

And then you add the other tuner input, the OTA module. In the ViP722, there is one built in OTA tuner. In the ViP722K, there are 2, if you have the OTA module installed. Again, completely independent of the outputs.

Now if you want both TVs to watch the same thing at the same time, you may leave the box in "single" mode. If you want independent viewing on each TV, you can shift to "dual" mode. Look behind the door on the front of the box and you'll figure it out. In dual mode, the second remote operates in UHF mode to control TV2 output.

Remember: There is no TV1 "tuner." There is no TV2 "tuner."
TV1 & TV2 refer to outputs only.

The ViP series are some impressively capable boxes. I'm sure you will come to love them. If you need more clarification or tips, please do not hesitate to ask.

BTW - While watching a program off the DVR and you come up to a commercial, press the yellow clockwise curved arrow button at 2 o'clock from the pause key. That'll put a smile on your face!

Last edited:
NavyChop, Your reply is also very misleading, you claim he should not care if he is recording on TV1 tuner or TV2 tuner. That is not the case. If he wants the ability to watch live tv from either his HD or SD TV depending on need, he has to schedule the recordings to match. A specific example: He want s to record a show at 6pm to watch later. Grandma wants to watch the news live at 6pm on the SD TV. he has to know to schedule the recording to occur on TV1 or grandma will turn on the SD TV only to see what he is recording. In split mode the tuners are tied to the TV's, Only the recordings are Tuner and TV independent.

It actually gets rather complex to manage recordings and live TV. What I think we all eventually do is record everything and never watch "live tv" even if you start watching immediately after the recording begins which is effectively live. So for the the above example he sets 2 recordings one for his show the other for the news. Grandma just has to learn how to play the recording.

Last edited:
Yes, if you are in Single Mode. But, your TV2 would be showing the same thing as your HD. I suggest taking time to browse your user's manual. All of the above is discussed and outlined.

You are wrong. In single mode he can only watch HD on the primary TV. Even in single mode, the aux TV will only show the same thing down graded to SD.

No matter if you are in single or dual mode, you can record a max of 2 HD shows from the Dish feed plus 1 from the OTA, but can only view HD on your primary TV.

You are wrong. In single mode he can only watch HD on the primary TV. Even in single mode, the aux TV will only show the same thing down graded to SD.

No matter if you are in single or dual mode, you can record a max of 2 HD shows from the Dish feed plus 1 from the OTA, but can only view HD on your primary TV.

Ah, but if you run an HDMI or component cable to TV2 you can watch HD at that TV as well, but only what is showing on TV1..... If you use component, you must also run audio...

Ah, but if you run an HDMI or component cable to TV2 you can watch HD at that TV as well, but only what is showing on TV1..... If you use component, you must also run audio...

Have you ever found those cables long enough for a run to another room? The run to my secondary TV is about 20 feet. Are there hdmi splitters? You could run hdmi to one tv and component + audio to the other.

Yes, I ran a 50 ft hdmi cable from the 722 in the back room to the HD TV in the living room. I use the component cables for the local connection to the HD TV in the back room. Works great! I can watch any show recorded on the 922 in the living room or the 722 in the back room, In the living room. In other words I can record 7 HD recordings at once and watch any of them in the living room. (I could also run hdmi to the back room, but have not)

P.S. quick search on ebay for 50ft hdmi buy it now

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Last edited:

Monthly Service Plan-Worth the $6?

superdish and a vip722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)