Just activiated an used 811 for foreign SD package - keep or swap it for 211?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
This week I just activated an used 811 HD receiver for a Chinese language SD package on satellite. Locally in Los Angeles we also have about 5 OTA digital Chinese channels. So my parents now have more Chinese channels than people who only get either OTA or have SD-only receiver (without the OTA turner).

What's Dish's current policy about swapping out the 811 to a 211 receiver? Is there any advantage to the 211 receiver besides better hardware?

I've read that the 211's OTA turner won't work without a subscription to DISH. That would be a drawback to the 811.

Also I am having problem getting strong enough signal for my local ABC affiliate 7.1 digital HD station. The other local HD channels works fine and the other VIP receivers running off the same HD anntenna can pick up the same station.

Is it because it's VHF, which 811 can't pick up? Or is it because it's 720p?

The 211 you can add a external hard drive to (after paying a one time $40 fee)

The 211 OTA tuner will work with Dish but there wont be a guide info. The 811 will show guide info as long as the satellite the locals are on you can see. Do you get the guide info on the locals or does it just say "digital signal"

The tuner on the 811 is not the strongest. I had one here in Minneapolis and had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the station being on VHF Or 720p...the tuner in the 811 just isnt that sensitive

The 211 you can add a external hard drive to (after paying a one time $40 fee)

The 211 OTA tuner will work with Dish but there wont be a guide info. The 811 will show guide info as long as the satellite the locals are on you can see. Do you get the guide info on the locals or does it just say "digital signal"

The tuner on the 811 is not the strongest. I had one here in Minneapolis and had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the station being on VHF Or 720p...the tuner in the 811 just isnt that sensitive

I do get OTA guide information on most channels (except for the smaller stations that still says Digital Programming).

The Chinese SAT package isn't active yet since I'm waiting for UPS to deliver the new Smartcard.

I'm actually watching the OTA channels in HD except the ABC affiliate though I don't recall having that problem when I last used the 811 a few years back... before it went from UHF 53 to VHF 7.1.

Will I get OTA channel guide if I only sub to the foreign package (without the SAT local channels) on the 211?

What happens if I call DISH and claim my owned 811 is defective because it can't get ABC OTA that my 722/622 receivers have no problem getting?

Will they swap me an (owned) 211 without charge or will they make it into a leased receiver?

I don't wanna have to extend my contract because of new lease equipment.

Remember how old that 811 ATSC tuner is probably second or third generation. Mine works as good as my HR10-250 about the same age. It can't hold a candle to the DTV PAL for sensitivity. I expect the 211 should have a much better ATSC tuner, but don't expect any bargins from DISH. A 211 should cost you about $100 plus subscriptions.

Will I get OTA channel guide if I only sub to the foreign package (without the SAT local channels) on the 211?

no...you need to sub to the locals to get the guide info for OTA. The 811 works without a subscription to the locals. LA locals on Dish are on 119 so that is why you are getting the guide info for a fair amount of chanenls. I assume the dish sees 110, 118 & 119?

Ya I have 118, 119, 110 and 129 hooked up on my setup.

So the 211 has better turner but requires SAT local to guide fino.

If the 811 is RA'ed for defect, will they send me another 811 or the 211?

What will happen if I call to get HD Platium? :)

811 is discontinued. Years ago. I'm not sure they'll send you anything. If they offer you a ViP211, consider yourself lucky and be happy. Even though the 211 will be leased, not owned.

811 is not "discontinued" it is out of production but DISH remanufactured some as I believe "251" receivers, same receiver new model #. That will probably be the replacement a 211 would still be an upgrade out of your wallet. If I am wrong on the 251 I'm sure Iceberg will correct me.

381 are the rebadged 811.

Seems like most "digital" antennas are optimized for UHF these days, you may need something slightly different for that VHF station.

The 811/211 discontinued receiver promotion is over and is not offered any longer. Had you called in 9 months ago, you would have been able to use the still active promotion. You'll be offered a dishin it up (if your packaging qualifies) or a purchased receiver option and buy one outright but that's it.

Locals Only Price

Why can't I get Channel 515?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)