Is this legal (Distant Network Address Question)??

gta00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
I was talking to another friend of mine this morning about losing the distant networks out of the the Los Angeles area (as it turns out, he has the New York distants) to which he replied he had switched his address with DISH to an address out of the New York City area (where his sister lives) and will pay the bill through the online system with DISH since he will no longer be receiving the paper statement (as it will be mailed to his sister).

The end result??

He now gets a ton of different locals (besides just FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC) out of N.Y. (a lot of independent stations) but now no longer qualifies for his local networks (Birmingham). Is this legal?

I should also mention that he stated he could no longer receive Turner South (which, at this point, I guess we'll refer to as SportsSouth).

Guess it depends on your definition of legal.

Good call. Maybe unethical is another way of putting it!! I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and request my networks from Birmingham (I don't already have them because all we have is the L.A. networks)? It's obvious I'll be losing them within a few days... I'm just guessing that once I call to add the Birmingham stations, the L.A. networks will be removed. But, if they are going to be removed anyways.....

its called "moving"

Do a search here...you'll find lots of info on it. I "moved" to get a neighboring DMA of locals instead of my own.

its called "moving"

Do a search here...you'll find lots of info on it. I "moved" to get a neighboring DMA of locals instead of my own.

So, essentially, if I want to keep my L.A. networks, I can "move" my mailing address to a relative / friend / or SOMEONE in southern California and can claim those networks as local instead of the Birmingham locals?

He doesn't get "a ton of different locals" besides the 4 networks unless he's actually in the area around NY as most of the other locals are on the NY Spotbeam.

I'm brand new here but couldn't help myself on this one!! When my wife and I first learned of the situation, we were sure we'd lose our distant networks because, after all, we lived in Atlanta, so we decided to go ahead and make a choice on which we would like to keep. Since I'm also a Jets fan (in addition to the Bengals), I wanted to keep the New York City locals but my wife, being the huge Guiding Light and Bold and Beautiful fan, wanted to keep the networks out of the Los Angeles area. She's an educator so, by the time she gets to the house, those networks are just starting to roll out the soaps. Anyways, we just signed up for paperless billing and gave them a service address in the Los Angeles area to my wife's aunt. It really doesn't seem as though DISH really questioned what we were doing and the process was as simple as giving them the new service address.

Now, I think everybody else is right (unfortunately) on "tons of other channels". The only networks we get are the Big 4 (CBS, ABC, FOX, and NBC) as well as KTLA. Everything else, as everybody has said, is on spot beam. I did have a pretty reliable friend that works with me indicate that he received some of the other networks from the Los Angeles area at various times of the day but the timing seemed to be sporadic and limited to a few hours. I've not researched the subject enough to indicate anything certain but would assume that, with the channels being on spot beam, you would only get a few hours of programming at best from anything other than the Big 4 and KTLA. All I can say is what I know about spot beam -- it usually sends feeds to a limited geographical area (I do remember a few things from college). With that being said, don't expect anything other than those few networks I've mentioned on a consistant basis.

I personally haven't looked for anything other than the Big 4. I KNOW KTLA is there because I once subscribed to the Superstations package and am aware of where to look for it. My advice: If you want the networks out of Los Angeles, it's a great idea. If you are looking for all those other networks out of the area, I think you may be out of luck (unless someone else knows of a network or two outside of those five). The odd part is this: The only local network we ever subscribed to out of the Atlanta area was FOX 5 which, oddly enough remains there to this day. I'm not sure if it's now considered a "distant" network which will be removed on December 1, or if it's going to stick around!! Regardless, the only reason I had that network was because of weather related issues -- which will soon be covered by the local options on the Weather Channel Interactive.

Here's my question: My brother, who lives one town over, is a huge Tennessee Titans fan so he changed his service address to the Knoxville area (in order to see some of the Titans games). Somehow, he still has access (as I do to my FOX) to all Atlanta networks. How did he swing this?? Are all of these going to disappear (the Atlanta networks) on December 1 as distants, or is it possible to have two seperate addresses on file with DISH?

ALL distants will be shut off on 12/1

so anything not in your local area will be shut off. Local as in what address Dish has on file. Your brother may have both due to a Dish screw up. When I "moved" from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN (use to live there) Dish screwed up and at one point I had
Duluth locals (which I qualified for)
Minneapolis (which I didnt but Dish didnt shut them off)
Fox from LA & Denver (which I had at my Minneapolis address)

Had all for about 6 months until Dish caught on. With the 12/1 coming soon, the Atlanta stations he gets as distants will be gone

For LA channels, the Big 4 & KTLA are CONUS (Continental US)
NY has Big 4, WWOR & WPIX as CONUS

ALL distants will be shut off on 12/1

For LA channels, the Big 4 & KTLA are CONUS (Continental US)
NY has Big 4, WWOR & WPIX as CONUS

Are Chicago, Atlanta, Denver Big 4 CONUS? How long would they be expected to stay CONUS after Dec 1 ?

And for HD Locals on 129 (CONUS) any idea how long we could expect them to stay there CONUS?

Need to figure out where to open a 2nd E* account, and whether HD will be on 129 long enough to warrant buying another 622.

I would sign up with Star Choice except I read what a lousy DVR the DVR530 is, and I'm spoiled by the 622.

Last edited:
A 2nd account is probably the best idea to receive DNS for those who really really want those stations. I haven't checked lately, but I think last year I was reading where you could subscribe to some programming without having a basic package by paying a small fee ($5).

So you could live at the Federal Prison in Florence, CO with your AT180 and locals, then set up an account in NY under your sister's name with locals only, and then another account in LA under your sister's sister's name with locals only.

So it would be about $5.95 for locals, plus a service charge of $5, plus buy a 311 receiver for about $100 +/-; for each coast.

I have it on good authority ...ummm... yes good authority... that when one "moves" they change their SERVICE address and leave their billing address alone. Use a cell number or no phone number at all for the service location. All bills and go to the billing address. Service is provided to the service address.

If at any time the customer needs product replacement, they have the product sent to the BILLING address. There are no problems with this as long as the customer remembers to ask for this.

If actuall service calls are needed, independent local dealers should be called.

See ya
Tony

So, essentially, if I want to keep my L.A. networks, I can "move" my mailing address to a relative / friend / or SOMEONE in southern California and can claim those networks as local instead of the Birmingham locals?

No, you have to move your SERVICE address (where your "service" is - get it? ;) ) - the mailing address is where you need bills or other correspondence sent to. (ie: where you actually LIVE now...)

Most cellular providers now pass ANI - so a cell phone may not make any difference.

I have it on good authority ...ummm... yes good authority... that when one "moves" they change their SERVICE address and leave their billing address alone. Use a cell number or no phone number at all for the service location. All bills and go to the billing address. Service is provided to the service address.

If at any time the customer needs product replacement, they have the product sent to the BILLING address. There are no problems with this as long as the customer remembers to ask for this.

If actuall service calls are needed, independent local dealers should be called.

See ya
Tony

I will post this once. Again, I have it on good authority that DISH DOES NOT CARE as long as they get paid. The cell number suggestion was strictly when they ask for another number for the new address.

See ya
Tony

I will post this once. Again, I have it on good authority that DISH DOES NOT CARE as long as they get paid. The cell number suggestion was strictly when they ask for another number for the new address.

See ya
Tony

One of the features I really like about the dish recievers is thecaller ID function. If a person moved and gave a cell or no number, would you still be able to connect your land line and get this feature? Would having your "billing address" phone connected cause a problem when dish calls?

as long as the number you give at Dish is the number that you are going to plug the box into, there is no issues.

I "moved" 4 years ago and "moved" a couple years later and my billing address and phone number on the account stayed the same. Had it hooked to the phone line until I went cell only

Question about equipment fees

Fat Lady has finish singing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)