Is this a way broadcasters of cutting back on FTA??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Is going to s2,lower power,changing tps and tighter FEC's! and making it harder to use a smaller dish like a 6 footer a plan to reduce the fta crowd??

I doubt they see enough FTAers out there to bother with thwarting.

nah
3 of the 4 things you mention all come back to 1 thing
SAVING MONEY

S2-can fit more channels on a transponder
lower power-since the stations who these are intended for use larger dishes they can get by with lower power. I remember as example RTV when they launched on 83W KU their affiliates were told a 1.2m dish at minimum
changing TP's-this is the oddball. I know some satellites have better rates (sats that arent as full) but to change a TP to save money is kinda unlikely
tighter FEC's-higher the FEC the less room for error there is. Higher FEC allows more channels to be fit on a TP.

I agree with Iceberg.

The lower power puts less load on the satellite power supply and transmitter, possibly increasing life.
If it were my satellite, I'd give you a better rate. :)

Changing transponders may be so insignificant to the (intended) users as to be trivial.
I'd like to think some transponder changes would be to improve S/N ratio by avoiding adjacent-satellite interference, but some recent allocations clearly didn't care! ;)

IMHO - the BIGGEST influence on "cutting back on FTA" may very well be those NG backpacks that use the data connections of the cellphone networks instead of a satellite link.
I just have this feeling that a recent event used 'em to get their live streaming on the 'net. As for the past couple of years they were on sat. But not this yr. Either that or the venue got fiber.

Thanks all! I just hope these changes dont snowball to the point that i start to loose a good amount of what is on c-band with my 6 footer.iwould love to go with a bigger dish but that would be a verrry hard sell with the misses.:(

If you had a 6' black mesh dish, you find a 7.5' black mesh dish and have it waiting in the wings...send wifey to the spa and pull the switcheroo. She never notices.

6 months later, repeat, 'cept now the 7.5 becomes a 10.

You're welcome. ;)

This may relate to the thread or not.:)

I found a very interesting story on new video codics compressions neat and cool.:coffee

http://broadcastengineering.com/ott/dveo-unveil-mpeg-magnus-mf-transcoder-scaler-streamer?NL=BE-18&Issue=BE-18_20130327_BE-18_516&YM_RID=`email`&YM_MID=`mmid`&sfvc4enews=42

The technological changes have nothing to do with FTA hobbyists, but the increase in scrambling has a lot to do with certain feeds becoming public knowledge.

Just my opinion.

If you had a 6' black mesh dish, you find a 7.5' black mesh dish and have it waiting in the wings...send wifey to the spa and pull the switcheroo. She never notices.

6 months later, repeat, 'cept now the 7.5 becomes a 10.

You're welcome. ;)

Skip step one, but leave a bottle of miraclegro and a watering can on the ground next to the ten footer.

My wife didn't want me to upgrade from a 6 footer to a 10 footer, but she got over it quickly. Not that I allowed her a choice.

Not only THAT, but the 10 footer is in the front yard, in direct view of our porch, at the edge of our koi pond (100' x 65' x 15' deep)

The technological changes have nothing to do with FTA hobbyists, but the increase in scrambling has a lot to do with certain feeds becoming public knowledge.

Just my opinion.

Exactly! It's important to protect the feeds rather than profiting from them!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish Brand ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts