Is Poker a Sport?

Like Sean I prefer Chess over Poker. However, I beleive that neither one is a real sport and that's why I wouldn't expect ESPN to show any of those. ESPN should be about real sports, but like Vurbano pointed out it is really about entertainment.

Walter L. said:
Samething applies to poker ;)
I'm sorry. I should have made clear that I don't think poker is a sport. I just enjoy watching it.

BTW Vurbano, you know ESPN is showing Happy Gilmore on Thursday? Talk about doesn't belong on ESPN.

Sean Mota said:
It is more than a board game. Tell that to Capablanca and Fisher...
Its a Freaking board game no matter how great/smart they are at playing it. Athletes play sports. They are not athletes. I suppose spelling bee contests and math olympics are sports also? Give me their number I will tell them. Go tell Beckham, Sosa, Shaq and Ray Lewis that bobby Fisher is an Athlete and plays a sport. LMAO

squicken said:
I'm sorry. I should have made clear that I don't think poker is a sport. I just enjoy watching it.

BTW Vurbano, you know ESPN is showing Happy Gilmore on Thursday? Talk about doesn't belong on ESPN.
Well the espn people will tell you that they are also an entertainment network. Thats why you saw playmakers, etc. Kinda silly if you ask me to be airing movies. Im like you I thought it was a sports network.

vurbano said:
Its a Freaking board game no matter how great/smart they are at playing it. Athletes play sports. They are not athletes. I suppose spelling bee contests and math olympics are sports also? Give me their number I will tell them. Go tell Beckham, Sosa, Shaq and Ray Lewis that bobby Fisher is an Athlete and plays a sport. LMAO

As I said before if you never played the game to you is just another board game like checkers.... To Chess Players is not. Let's leave it at that. Believe what you want to believe.

ESPN had nothing else to show, no X Games stuff yet, Tour the France was to expensive, so instead we get fat guys at a table, at least it was the Suber Elite Championship for whatever that's worth. Who cares, I didn't watch it, did you?

Poker is a sport....it just doesn't require athletes. The same thing with Chess, NASCAR, and bowling. If its an activity governed by rules played in a competitive environment, then it is in fact a sport by definition.

Whether it's an athletic sport or not is another question.

HeavyC said:
Poker is a sport....it just doesn't require athletes. The same thing with Chess, NASCAR, and bowling. If its an activity governed by rules played in a competitive environment, then it is in fact a sport by definition.

Whether it's an athletic sport or not is another question.
Whoa...wait just a minute. NASCAR drivers are definitely athletes. The good drivers more so than the bad drivers. It takes huge amounts of physical stamina and endurance to drive those cars for three to four hours without a break. Do you realize that it gets up to 120 degrees inside those cars and they are wearing full bodysuits and a stuffy helmet the whole time? Those guys, and the couple of girls, need to be in excellent shape to compete well. If the definition of sport is accepted as fact them the definition of athlete should be as well.

Advice rqst - HBO,Starz,etc.

7/22 HD Cinema Premiere Movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)