Is Jessica Simpson right?

After that little A kissing you need to wash you nose it is very brown. BTW your statement for what E* has in HD is incorrect. It 30 channels plus 3 premium movie channels in HD. The only ch in HD that E* doesn't have is A & E. We scoff at D* because it has been the same as in the past of being very boastful and then not coming thru w/ the claims. I'm not saying E*'s perfect but I was a dealer for several different sat co's in the past and D* has had a a record of claiming they are going to do something then it never being what really happens in the end. As far as the MPEG 4 it is kinda the pot calling the kettle black.

Name one claim D* it has not come through with? Ok Thirty one channels (including three premium) if you get the platimum package and I don't count PPV (which both have) and music channels. Only HD channel E* does not have is A&E? what about Cinemax? The movie channel, Wealth, FSN? Claims? didn't dish claim to be adding more Local HD and add Regional Sports Networks this year? What have they added? D* only claim this year is to offer Local HD to 67% of the country. What do they offer? 67%. Yes D* is claiming everything and not delivering and E8 is not claiming anything but delivering everything.

DISH when will we get HD Sports on CONUS

....It 30 channels plus 3 premium movie channels in HD. The only ch in HD that E* doesn't have is A & E. We scoff at D* because it has been the same as in the past of being very boastful and then not coming thru w/ the claims. I'm not saying E*'s perfect but I was a dealer for several different sat co's in the past and D* has had a a record of claiming they are going to do something then it never being what really happens in the end. As far as the MPEG 4 it is kinda the pot calling the kettle black.

Try MHD, INHD, Cinemax HD, Movie Channel HD, WealthTV.
How about the local sports nets...Which DISH had promised by late last summer

How about all RSN's in CONUS?
Who wins the HD Game in my living room in the Seattle area will have
Comcast Sportsnet Chicago games on CONUS, preferably full-time. --GO SOX

My choices:
Comcast: ALL Seattle Locals in HD, including PBS, CW and MyNetwork plus an independant. HBO/SHO/Cinemax/Starz West HD (for years) (ALL channels true 1080i, not bitstarved HDLite)
MHD (12/14), INHD, Fox Sports NW HD, Comcast Sports channel (national-Jan.)
Tivo S/W early-mid '07

DISH: only ABC, NBC & CBS HDLite locals... FOX-who knows, This one may not be possible to pick up OTA, HBO/SHO/Starz East-only HDLite, 129 satellite needs a
24" dish, hhmmm :confused: :rolleyes: Note: Get it together by March DISH....

FIOS (Internet-Maybe summer 07; Video-???), blows away everybody price-wise, especially on premium channels, currently no MLB Extra Innings (deal-Breaker)

OR Tivo Series 3 -OTA?
OR just OTA

What's w/ the attitude

Name one claim D* it has not come through with? Ok Thirty one channels (including three premium) if you get the platimum package and I don't count PPV (which both have) and music channels. Only HD channel E* does not have is A&E? what about Cinemax? The movie channel, Wealth, FSN? Claims? didn't dish claim to be adding more Local HD and add Regional Sports Networks this year? What have they added? D* only claim this year is to offer Local HD to 67% of the country. What do they offer? 67%. Yes D* is claiming everything and not delivering and E8 is not claiming anything but delivering everything.
Why are you so PO'd. The only way that Max HD is available right now is on C-band and on E* there is going to be some change to do w/ Max. If you look at the E* website you will find out at the present time that Max is no longer offered as a separate movie channel. So either HBO is going to change the way it is offering it to the public or E* is working on doing something like Showtime which includes TMC along w/ their pack. Same thing as Starz does w/ the Encore channels. As far as A & E HD in the states it isn't offered here yet they are testing in Canada now. Ask Ruppert why Fox Sports Net is held up. E* has added more LIL HD this year. It also offers the RSN there is a thread about the RSN's on this forum or the DBStalks forum. Search for it. Don't know or care about the Wealth channel it was part of Voom when I was w/ them and it was junk(IMO).

InHD

Try MHD, INHD, Cinemax HD, Movie Channel HD, WealthTV.
How about the local sports nets...Which DISH had promised by late last summer

How about all RSN's in CONUS?
Who wins the HD Game in my living room in the Seattle area will have
Comcast Sportsnet Chicago games on CONUS, preferably full-time. --GO SOX

My choices:
Comcast: ALL Seattle Locals in HD, including PBS, CW and MyNetwork plus an independant. HBO/SHO/Cinemax/Starz West HD (for years) (ALL channels true 1080i, not bitstarved HDLite)
MHD (12/14), INHD, Fox Sports NW HD, Comcast Sports channel (national-Jan.)
Tivo S/W early-mid '07

DISH: only ABC, NBC & CBS HDLite locals... FOX-who knows, This one may not be possible to pick up OTA, HBO/SHO/Starz East-only HDLite, 129 satellite needs a
24" dish, hhmmm :confused: :rolleyes: Note: Get it together by March DISH....

FIOS (Internet-Maybe summer 07; Video-???), blows away everybody price-wise, especially on premium channels, currently no MLB Extra Innings (deal-Breaker)

OR Tivo Series 3 -OTA?
OR just OTA

Most of these questions are answered in the reply to the other guy. InHD was uplinked for a while but it looks like the deal wasn't sealed to offer it so it was taken down. In HD so far is a cable exclusive and has been from the start. It is owned by a company that owns MSO's. Tribune in the Seattle area is the reason the Fox isn't offered up there. It has to do with tech specs that Tribune is claiming that have to be used that is different than is being used also it is highly rumored that Tribune is about to sell off many of it's TV holdings. Fox sports NW is also at the present time only offered to cable co's. I'm very familiar with what is going on in your area as I lived there for most of a decade and got my degree in Broadcast Engineer at Bates Technical College in Tacoma. Stating 1080i means nothing unless you know the number that comes before it like 1920, 1440, or 1280. Right now the Comcast is looking better than it was when I left there was only the OTA's and 5 other HD channels then. As far as bit starving how do you know what Comcast is delivering? Screw the SOX go M'S.

Why are you so PO'd. The only way that Max HD is available right now is on C-band and on E* there is going to be some change to do w/ Max. If you look at the E* website you will find out at the present time that Max is no longer offered as a separate movie channel. So either HBO is going to change the way it is offering it to the public or E* is working on doing something like Showtime which includes TMC along w/ their pack. Same thing as Starz does w/ the Encore channels. As far as A & E HD in the states it isn't offered here yet they are testing in Canada now. Ask Ruppert why Fox Sports Net is held up. E* has added more LIL HD this year. It also offers the RSN there is a thread about the RSN's on this forum or the DBStalks forum. Search for it. Don't know or care about the Wealth channel it was part of Voom when I was w/ them and it was junk(IMO).

whatchel, I'm not Po'ed I was however responding to Poke. Second, Cinemax HD is offered by most Cable Cos. so I don't know what your argument is on it. As far as LiL yes they have added a few, but "DISH" claimed they would be at 50+ markets, as of now they are at what "26". What has D* claimed 67% of the market and where are they at ? 67%. Wealth channels I will take your word, but many Voom channels I hear are the same but everyone quickly spouts off "look at all the HD channels". While I would like to see all channels HD I also will say only a handfull I would watch.

Mariners???

...In HD so far is a cable exclusive and has been from the start. It is owned by a company that owns MSO's. Tribune in the Seattle area is the reason the Fox isn't offered up there. It has to do with tech specs that Tribune is claiming that have to be used that is different than is being used also it is highly rumored that Tribune is about to sell off many of it's TV holdings. Fox sports NW is also at the present time only offered to cable co's. I'm very familiar with what is going on in your area as I lived there for most of a decade ....Right now the Comcast is looking better than it was when I left there was only the OTA's and 5 other HD channels then. As far as bit starving how do you know what Comcast is delivering? Screw the SOX go M'S.

"In HD so far is a cable exclusive and has been from the start."
>>>DISH was uplinking INHD and then dropped them...so negotiations failed.

"Fox sports NW is also at the present time only offered to cable co's."
>>>No, it was on D* last summer and was just added to Comcast. DISH is sharing the HD channels so how many M's games in Seattle [in HD] is TBD.

Comcast has all the locals in HD. They have carried both Q13 FOX and KMYQ 10/22 both for some time, as KMYQ was the old WB. They added KSTW CW11 HD this fall. Local Seattle HD on E* is problematic due to the crap 129 satellite. D* only has NBC and CBS HD, I think.

"As far as bit starving how do you know what Comcast is delivering?"
>>>Several professionals on the boards have monitored Comcast bitrates and they are not bitstrarving [D* especially] and reducing HD resolution [both] or deleting colors [like D*] of the HD. Actually everyone that I know here has HD through Comcast.

"Screw the SOX go M'S."
>>>:D No thanks, really glad I'm not a Mariner fan. We won the WS then had a so-so year this year but Mariner fans were suffering. I do hope the Mariners get better as I too hate Oakland and the Angels. They kicked our butts again last summer...

Thax for the reply

"In HD so far is a cable exclusive and has been from the start."
>>>DISH was uplinking INHD and then dropped them...so negotiations failed.

"Fox sports NW is also at the present time only offered to cable co's."
>>>No, it was on D* last summer and was just added to Comcast. DISH is sharing the HD channels so how many M's games in Seattle [in HD] is TBD.

Comcast has all the locals in HD. They have carried both Q13 FOX and KMYQ 10/22 both for some time, as KMYQ was the old WB. They added KSTW CW11 HD this fall. Local Seattle HD on E* is problematic due to the crap 129 satellite. D* only has NBC and CBS HD, I think.

"As far as bit starving how do you know what Comcast is delivering?"
>>>Several professionals on the boards have monitored Comcast bitrates and they are not bitstrarving [D* especially] and reducing HD resolution [both] or deleting colors [like D*] of the HD. Actually everyone that I know here has HD through Comcast.

"Screw the SOX go M'S."
>>>:D No thanks, really glad I'm not a Mariner fan. We won the WS then had a so-so year this year but Mariner fans were suffering. I do hope the Mariners get better as I too hate Oakland and the Angels. They kicked our butts again last summer...

Most of what you have said just reinforces what I said. As far as bit starving they may be fine now (don't know not where I can see anymore) but as they add more HD they will run into a spectrum problem as well. There is only so much bandwidth available on any cable system where as DBS will have more bandwidth by adding more sats in the mix. Right now sat co's are going MPEG 4 to also increase what they will be able to offer. Cable co's are going to have to change formats to increase their ability to give more channels. At present they have not gotten it together to change so it will be a while. How many HD channels does Comcast carry now? E* has 30 full time and will be adding more. D* is claiming they will have 40 sometime next year. D* is also make a claim that they will have 150 but that is just vapor ware so far. I'm w? E* right now and will prolly stay due to the 1 thing that no one else is offering and that is the Voom channel RAVE. No one else carries anything like it. No MHD doesn't compare. The HD version OF MTV stinks just as bad as the standard one. Too bad about the M's but that has to do w/ there trading off too many good players and coaching staff isn't as hot as it used to be. I have not been able to keep up w/ them since I left the area a couple years ago. But I still say screw the SOX.

. How many HD channels does Comcast carry now? E* has 30 full time and will be adding more. D* is claiming they will have 40 sometime next year. D* is also make a claim that they will have 150 but that is just vapor ware so far. I'm w? E* right now and will prolly stay due to the 1 thing that no one else is offering and that is the Voom channel RAVE.QUOTE]

Just to clairify, D* has made the statement they will add over 40 national channels next year in addition to the 10 they now have. As far as the 150 D* has only said they will have the "capacity" for 150 national channels. Many twist D* words to they will have 150 national channels. D* plan has always been to add LiL this year first and have been doing it. And by the way I think A&E HD is offered here in the states by some cable cos.

Last edited:
...There is only so much bandwidth available on any cable system where as DBS will have more bandwidth by adding more sats in the mix. Right now sat co's are going MPEG 4 to also increase what they will be able to offer. Cable co's are going to have to change formats to increase their ability to give more channels. At present they have not gotten it together to change so it will be a while. How many HD channels does Comcast carry now? E* has 30 full time and will be adding more. D* is claiming they will have 40 sometime next year. D* is also make a claim that they will have 150 but that is just vapor ware so far. I'm w? E* right now and will prolly stay due to the 1 thing that no one else is offering and that is the Voom channel RAVE. No one else carries anything like it. No MHD doesn't compare. The HD version OF MTV stinks just as bad as the standard one. Too bad about the M's but that has to do w/ there trading off too many good players and coaching staff isn't as hot as it used to be. I have not been able to keep up w/ them since I left the area a couple years ago. But I still say screw the SOX.

"E* has 30 full time and will be adding more. "
>>>Really?? They are in HD-Lite and not 1920x1080i....

"Cable co's are going to have to change formats to increase their ability to give more channels. "
>>>Already cable is working new formats for the future. Cable is already all-digital in a lot of Comcast major markets, within 1.5 years analog 30-70 will be gone in Seattle, with channels in digital except for 2-13 and the public access/free channels.

" How many HD channels does Comcast carry now? "
>>>Will be 20 plus FSN; with 8 locals, 4 movie channels, ESPN/ESPN2, TNT, Discovery, INHD, select local FSN-NW games
Next Week: MHD, UHD
Jan: Comcast Sports HD national

Texas?? :rolleyes: screw Texas :D

I love the fact she says that "Directv hd is broadcast in 1080i. " That is before they uplink it to their satellite and put it back into hd lite. I don't think that they should say that in their commercials since we all know that no one receives the picture in true 1080i.

As discussed earlier in this thread, they do uplink in 1080i. It just isn't full HD 1080i resolution. 1280x1080i is still 1080i.

Of course there are other channels on E* that are uplinked in full 1920x1080i, but are bit-starved so that it still isn't good quality 1080i.

So it is always hard to pin them down.

And it will get harder in the future as MPEG4 is refined. For who knows how much bandwidth will be required to produce a high quality HD picture?

Showtime HD

Been seeing a lot of macro blocking on Showtime HD off 110. I have been DVR'ing Sleeper Cell and been seeing macro-blocking in many shots. I have deleted the time and replaced it w/ the Showtime HD on 148 to see if I get less artifacts off of it.

Geez, I've been off the boards for months, and people are still obsessed with raw resolution. BANDWIDTH, BABY!

Thank god Tom B's got the right idea now...seems like we argued a lot, and it drove me nuts because we were usually on the same side elsewhere.

And how did a thread with a completely nonsensical opening question get to six pages?

Mark, I haven't changed my position one iota since last year. Or the year before that.

I always thought you were either selectively reading my posts, or just reading a limited selection of them.

I have always contended that both resolution and bandwidth are critical to receiving a high quality HD image. If you starve bandwidth you get all of the compression-related artifacts like macro blocking, contouring, and motion bluring. If you reduce resolution you get a softer picture witih less detail.

The way I see it is that a true HD-resolution image that is bandwidth-starved is low quality HD. And a down-rezzed HD image that gets good bandwidth is good quality Super-ED, not HD.

Which one is preferred depends upon the content. A program that has good lighting and low motion would be better in low-quality HD. One with varied lighting and/or motion would be better in Super-ED. But neither is acceptable HD in my book.

I think the one that fewer people would notice is Super-ED. It is quite apparent on this forum that many people do not notice the loss of resolution from a 1280x1080i transmission. And ever fewer from a 1440x1080i transmission. Many do not notice the softness of the VOOM channels.

I believe the safest place for E* and D* to play is to transmit in 1440x1080i (and 1280x720p) at 11-12 Mbps. A la where HDNET now plays much of the time. This is sharp enough for most to not notice the degradation and enough bandwidth to keep compression artifacts in check for typical programs.

Now I'm going to see the softness and see the compression artifacts. Others will too, but it won't be enough of us to influence E* or D* to change things.

Meanwhile I'll lament the loss of the beautiful HDNET pictures we were getting for a long time from E*. It was wonderful to watch program after program in 1920x1080i with 15-16 Mbps.

Super ED

I have to think that most ppl would rather have Super ED than SD or ED. I know it looks much better to me. Now onward and upward. If the MPEG 4 is working correctly why have they not gone to it? Will they not be able to use it and give us better PQ w/ the bandwidth and bitrate that is available?

Off air antenna with dish dvr 622

Big Dish for Sat129

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)