Is it possible that Dish damaged our LNBs with 4.01 thru 4.05?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
There was no mention of "LNB drift" until after the 4xx downloads. Then many started reporting here along with "check switch" issues, reboots and other anomalies.

When I had my 622 installed and my 942 relocated to another room, they removed the old DP34 and replaced the old LNBs brand new DPP.

Both the 942 and the 622 worked fine until 4xx but now both are having all kinds of problems.

The 622 has multiple reboots everyday and sometimes calls for a "switch-check", that results in the "LNB drift" message.

The 942 keeps going into the "acquiring signal" routine and also gives "switch check" error messages.

As a side note, I had a Dish rep PM me last week after I complained about the 622 in another thread. We PM'd each other and among other things he said the 622 reboots were a know problem and he wanted me to contact him about replacing my 622. I emailed him on 6/2. Today's the 8th and I still have heard nothing more.

You need to redo you switch check matrix. Unplug the sat cables from your dvrs and run the check switch again. This clear the matrix. Then replug the cables into the sat ports and rerun your check switch. This should clear up your lnb switch check problems. And Yes it was a software introduced problem with the L401- L405software. I have done this on both of my accounts with a 622 dvrs and the problems went away. I don't know why Dish hasn't just put this out publicly and saved everyone a lot of problems and rmas on receivers, tech visits etc.

I don't believe that any of the software releases prior to L4.01 had the ability to check for "LNB Drift" so the same problem may have been present before, but there wasn't the software there to detect it.

Software itself cannot damage LNBFs; other question is a quality of new DP/DPP LNBFs and switches. In case if you technically sufficient in STB arena - now all the components [LNBF and switches] have steady power [~19 VDC] vs old [legacy] technology used switching power 13/18VDC.

However, there are instances of software damaging hardware. Remember the old PET computer? There was an upgrade to BASIC, I think, meant for later models. Folks who installed it on early models found it "overclocked" one of the chips and burned it up.

Although not likely, but what if a software glitch caused the equipment to send excessive voltage to the LNBF.

3 or 4 times during the past month, my 622 would pop and quit sending a picture to the TV, and then would not respond to any commands, regardless if I was using TV1, TV2, or both. The Dual Tuner light went off, but which ever TV Ouput was being used, that light would stay on.

The only cure was unplugging the power cord, then plug it back in. It would then goes through a long reboot sequence. Last time was Wed morning.

No, the voltage could be turn on/off, switched 13/18V, but not higher then that. Well, if whole DVR burned by light strike, then anything possible - could be ~110VAC leak to sat inputs, etc.

Well I got the 1000.2 now up and running on a 1 week old 622 E-series, and LNB drift issues are gone now. HOWEVER, some weird things are going on: First of all whenever I disconnect the sat feed, even just for a couple of seconds (I was checking the connectors for damage or moisture on the grounding block) the receiver seems to loose connection alltogether, means after you reconnect it, there's no signal, the check switch doesn't find anything until you reboot and run check switch again. It acts like there's nothing connected with running like 0-38 of 38 on both tuners on check switch. Another thing is whenever I'm in the point dish screen and change to the 129 readings, AND I was on an HD channel, and then exit the screen, the receiver acts like there's no cables connected again. If I do the same thing being on a channel that is NOT on 129, it'll exit without a glitch. SAME thing if I am checking SS on any TP on 129 AND change sat inputs, same story. Every time I have to reboot and run check switch again to regain satellite picture, if I just let it sit there on the acquiring satellite siganl screen it'll keep rebooting until I redo check switch manually, and everything works fine again. No signal losses or lost locks or picture glitches, all LNB's check out as GOOD and no LNB drift either. Like I said, all works splendid, unless I try to play around in the point dish screen, as I have done countless times with my previous receivers, and never had a problem. Not sure if it is related to L4xx software, as I haven't played with it that much, until yesterday, when I put up the new 1000.2, with new cables and stuff, and I used that screen to point my dish. Can anybody duplicate this, or does this sound to scary to do? Or what do you guys think about this in general?

Smith, P do you have similar experiences? I mean they had troubles with wrong satellite, reverting to 105 as default every time you entered point dish screen. That was introduced with L4.01, and then supposedly fixed with later software releases. What if this is a new bug?

I'm wondering what's up myself.. I've had dish for less than a year now and 2 of my 3 lnbs have poo'd in the last couple of weeks.. right now I only get 119 and partially 110.. 61.5 is long gone.. :(

The 942 keeps going into the "acquiring signal" routine and also gives "switch check" error messages.

I have a 942 & 811. In the past few weeks, we have had nothing but problems! Many days the 942 won't pick up one or two of the sat signals, get the acquiring signal, switch check, etc.

While I have unplugged the the sat feeds on both machines then done a check switch, I have not tried Mike's suggestion of "clearing the matrix" (I did not know about that) so I will try that next. My signals keep showing all green, and near 100 readings (which is typical for us), but have just had horrible reception. I will report if the clearing the matrix solves my problems.

In some ways, I hope this is a software problem, because I have been seriously thinking about switching services after all the problems. The wife is extremely unhappy, which makes life :( .

Well, I cleared the matrix but to no avail. Same problems.

Actually, I am thinking it may be time to go to FiOS or DirecTV. I am feeling less than appreciated by Dish. I can live with not receiving the new Mpeg4 channels, I just want to turn on my TV and be able to watch the channels that I pay for without problems every night; and it really has been a problem every night for a few weeks now. Ugh!

I don't believe that any of the software releases prior to L4.01 had the ability to check for "LNB Drift" so the same problem may have been present before, but there wasn't the software there to detect it.
That may be but I wasn't having signal related issues and reboots before either, so the problem was not present before.

I called Dish about my LNB problems.. first guy hung up on me when I asked why i would have to pay to fix something I don't own.. I called back and the second person I spoke to appologized for the first person and scheduled someone to come out.. the tech was great.. he noticed 110's lnb was boiling hot and 119 was fine.. replaced all the lnbs, the switch, and fixed one minor issue with the original wiring that was done by some other tech.. and I was back in business..

Does dish like to know about the good techs they have? Maybe I should let them know what a great job this guys did?

I let the tech know via the coin of the realm.

A note to Dish couldn't hurt.

<snip>.....As a side note, I had a Dish rep PM me last week after I complained about the 622 in another thread. We PM'd each other and among other things he said the 622 reboots were a know problem and he wanted me to contact him about replacing my 622. I emailed him on 6/2. Today's the 8th and I still have heard nothing more.

Update: As of today (6-15) I still have heard nothing back from this guy. Scott did confirm that he IS a Dish rep. I wonder if it's ok to post his name and a copy of the PMs he sent me.

Echostar11 rescheduled

Charlie says

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)