Is it better to use USALS or Diseq 1.2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcustomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
California
As a novice to the world of FTA, I was wondering if I'd be better off setting up my motorized system (90cm Fortec Star dish and Fortec Mercury II receiver with a STAB HH90 motor) with USALS and then fine-tuning by phsically adjusting the dish with my hands or try messing around with the more complicated Diseq 1.2? Don't they both effectively produce the same results?

I've always used 1.2 because the first box I had that was motorized didnt have USALS

But I use USALS to get to the satellite, then fine tune using 1.2 :)

My brief experience has been to use USALS generally, and then test each location to see if I can get a better signal using 1.2 . Only on G10R have I seen a signal improvement using 1.2 on my system, so that's how I left it. All my birds are using USALS ( its much easier ) except G10R , which is just "1 bump" west of the USALS calculated position.

Makes me wonder if I call it 123.1 W and try USALS , would I see the same thing. That's what this is about, as much art as science.

:)

Brent

yes. If you change the satellite spot it will move to that. So if you say "123.2" it will move there.

My issue is the Coolsat will store it as that so it will say "123.2 Galaxy 10R"

So some of the satellites can be stored using USALS and others with Diseq 1.2? And I wouldn't have to phsically position the dish/mount with my hands if I used Diseq 1.2, right?

satcustomer said:
So some of the satellites can be stored using USALS and others with Diseq 1.2? And I wouldn't have to phsically position the dish/mount with my hands if I used Diseq 1.2, right?

They're talking about motorized dishes. You must have a motorized dish for usals or 1.2 to work. It controls the motor on your dish.

satcustomer said:
Correct ! Once the motor is setup on the arc of the Clarke belt, in USALS mode, you should not need to adjust it manually at all. You can choose to use 1.2 mode on any satellite that you wish.

USALS mode is a software calculator , built into many receivers, that issues 1.2 commands to position the motor. Diseqc 1.2 mode is more manual in nature, but can be more accurate since it gives you the option to move incrementally either direction.

Hope this clears it up.

:)

Brent

satcustomer said:

Another important point is to take your time and tweak the elevation juuust right for max quality on your first bird so that you are positive you only need to tweak the east-west later on with 1.2 for the others.

:hatsoff:

What do you think about mixing the 1.2 for some and USALS for other satellites together? Is it a bad idea, or is it OK?
(Personally, I use USALS for all satellites) - it's just easier.

It all depends on good of setup job you did. When you can use USALS for the entire arc and have the best signals you know you have everything tuned in 100%.

I like USALS better, my fortec gets kind of flaky when I go nudging it on 1.2
When using USALS if I want to nudge, I just adjust my elevation setting on the menu.
I'm at 86.1, when I want to nudge, I set it to 86.0 or 86.2 etc.
works great.

Dr_Brian_Oblivion said:
When using USALS if I want to nudge, I just adjust my elevation setting on the menu.
I'm at 86.1, when I want to nudge, I set it to 86.0 or 86.2 etc.
works great.

Hmm, never thought of it.. Thats another good tip!

Thanks!

My elevation is 37.7, depending on the website you use. So, in the satellite setup page for 123W (my true south satellite), I could "nudge" the elevation there in addition to physically adjusting the elevation on the dish and motor or would you just do the nudging on the setup screen? How much up or down would you recommend nudging it?

I am sorry I said elevation and meant longitude Ooops...

You will have to adjust the longitude setting in the menu.
the website I use tells me I should be at 86.4, but I have found 86.1 is actually where I'm at, or at least all my sats come in better there =)

If you go by the zipcode, most people aren't exactly in the middle of that zip, maybe your are a bit closer to the border of the next zip over??,
this is just an easy way to find out exactly where you are.

This is all after you have physically tweaked the dish and can get no further improvments, of course.

Last edited:
My Longitude = 121.952. I'll try 121.9 first, then peak the dish and see if I can get improvement with baby steps in the satellite setup screen.

Reading this thread saved me some work. I just installed a system and have been scanning for channels. I was going to try to tweak my dish a little bit, because I was able to get higher signal by changing the USALS location of IA5. Instead I am getting the dish into place with USALS, and then using DiSEqC to bump the dish one way or the other. I have noticed that I have to bump some East and some West. That is a very nice feature.

If USALS is off then something isn't set right on the receiver or the dish/motor. It took a bit of tweaking but all of my USALS positions are dead on and do not require 1.2 tweaking. I guess I'm spoiled by just punching in a degree for a new bird and it goes there. I wished they had USALS in the old CBand days.

USALS is by far much easier to use when you first setup the dish/motor alignment, and then when you use the system daily.

DiSEqC 1.2 is OK, but for a newbie, it is difficult to work with and setup the system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What JFET to use to repair a Samsung TBMU24311IMB QPSK NIM?

Anybody else watchin Off Beat CInema on RTN?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)