Is a KVM DVI Switch OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InspectorZ

Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I have one DVI input on my TV and would like to use the DVI output of my Voom receiver and Zenith DVB318 1080i DVD player. A Gefen 2-source switch is $250 and a 4-source is $350. I can get a 4-port DVI KVM(keyboard/video/mouse) switch for computers for about $130. It does not have a remote control like the Gefens, but I’m just trying to eliminate switching the cables back and forth. This is certainly cheaper, especially a 4-source switch.

Should a DVI KVM work?

I doubt that the KVM switch is HDCP compliant. While it might work with some of the components in your system today, HDCP is being pushed into more and more digital A/V hardware and media. I'm guessing that your DVD player and television are both HDCP compliant. If you put a switch between them that isn't, the DVD signal won't be tranmitted to your TV.

You'd have one major problem. According to a site that sells the KVM DVI switch it says this:

1280 x 1024
Analog 1920 x 1440
This product is not intended for use with Widescreen displays

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I thought the switch didn’t do much more than select connections. I would have considered spending $130 for a switch, but $250-$350 is too much for such a simple task. The Zenith DVB318 has DVI and component video, as does the Voom STB. I just prefer the DVI connection with my TV (Hitachi 57S500).

I appreciate the problem. I've had my E* 811 receiver for a year and it commands the one DVI connection on my Sammy HLN507W. So, my Sammy DVD-HD931 gets component and I don't get the value out of it that I paid for. I'm ready to buy a DVI switch for myself for Chistmas.

I know where you can get one for $250 minus a 10% discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony remastering every film in its archive for HD

What kind of HDTV do you have?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)