Intermittent reception problem on 311

aimon

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I'm not technical, but I'll try to explain and hope someone can help. We have two 311 receivers and one 625. One of the 311 is having strange, intermittent reception issues. It'll work fine for a few hours, then start bouncing between the signal lost message and the channel you were watching. Eventually, it stops receiving altogether and sits on the acquiring signal screen forever. Rebooting, unplugging, etc. doesn't solve the problem.

We've replaced the ends on the cable into the house. Bought new cables for all the connections, no improvement. So I'm thinking it's either the receiver or the cable to the house.

To test, I swapped the locations of the 625 and the 311. They both work fine is the new locations. However, I can't keep that setup because I need the dual back where it was.

Why would the 625 work on the connection that doesn't work for the 311? And vice versa? Is it possible that the 625 is a better receiver that can resolve whatever cable issues there might be on the original 311 location? I'm going to try putting my other 311 on that funky connection tomorrow, but I'm looking for any other insight you guys might have.

Sorry this is so long! Thanks for any help!

It could be the receiver, switch but intermittent sounds more like receiver as long as the other receiver works in that location with no problems.

what you might try is switching the cables around at the switch (outside) that feeds the two receivers. If everything continues to work fine then you can leave it alone, problem fixed. Or isolate it to a cable or receiver issue. It could be something as simple as you mentioned, the 625 can handle a little anomaly that the 311 can't. It could be a bad LNB or it could be the receiver is not putting out sufficient voltage to power the LNB properly.

Thanks for the tip, TNGTony. I swapped the cables and moved the receivers back to their original locations. That seems to have taken care of the problem! There must be something in that wiring that the 311 can't handle.

I appreciate the response!

Caller ID?

3 LNB --> 2 coax?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)