Integrity Check Interrupted...Lost Recordings

dgray9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Recently, our Dish 625 was interrupted during an Integrity Check by the electrical power dropping out during a thunderstorm.

Usually the integrity check, when it happens, lasts about 5-10 minutes and isn't a problem.
This time, however, the power went out for a second causing a reset/reboot of the dvr during the integrity check.
After the reset the TV channel came on as if nothing had happened.

The DVR now has major problems !

The title list looks O.K., but trying to play back most recordings causes the system to lock up or give me a little error notation that a "problem was encountered" in opening the files for this event...Error Code 05 etc.

The DVR gives 100h 0min as the available DVR recording time (empty DVR).

It doesn't seem to recognize that there are still a few good recordings in the dvr:
About a third of the recordings play back O.K. as if nothing was wrong.
The sound/picture quality seems to be just as good as before the power outage.

I immediately disconnected the dvr from the Dish antenna, and reset the box so it is currently in what some call a deactivated state.
The time and date have returned to their default settings (Jan 22, 01:23 A.M.).
I have disconnected the receiver (No signal input/ No recording function).
Just Playback function.

I've given up trying to save the recordings that don't play back.
The look-up table for the title list seems severely damaged.

Does anyone have suggestions about saving the recordings that play back.

I'd like to get the DVR back to as much functionality as possible without losing the few good recordings that survive.

Thanks for any useable suggestions.​

I believe the integrity check is run after every 4 reboots, so try turning off and unplugging the receiver at least 4 more times and let it fully reboot after each time. That might force another system integrity check that hopefully restores the dvr events. If not, nothing can be done to save them.

Reset the receiver multiple times, and the dvr does not run another integrity check.

At this time, I don't really want to run more integrity checks since this might further damage those recordings which still survive.
Right now, I simply want to save as many surviving recordings on the title list as possible while returning the dvr / receiver to its former function.

For example, I am not recording any new events, since this might overwrite surviving events and further damage the title list.
Frankly, I fear this would erase the title list completely and return the title list to its default "empty" state; (100h 0min Avail.) is displayed as if for a new dvr.

Any further comment or suggestions are welcome especially from those who have experienced similar events.

Thank You.

Save your good recordings to a DVD or VCR then erase the hard drive. You are another customer to learn the HARD way that hard drives are only temporary storage.

Save your good recordings to a DVD or VCR then erase the hard drive. You are another customer to learn the HARD way that hard drives are only temporary storage.

Recording DVR events to vcr and dvd for permanent storage over this past year has also been something of an adventure.

Both vcr's required repair and parts which were unavailable. I have two dvd recorders with internal hdd (also temporary storage devices); one of which is acting up (and may fail). The other has problems dubbing to dvd.

I have tried to back-up the most important dvr events over the past year, but this has taken more time and a whole lot more money than I anticipated.
Inevitably, some favored recordings have fallen through the cracks and cannot be saved.
Nor can they be purchased (especially events from now defunct channels such as IMF).

I am taking your advice, however; I've got another dvd-hdd combo on order (80gb) which should store and edit the remaining events quite nicely; if it functions long enough to do this.

Any further suggestions on keeping the remaining recordings safely stored on the title list; or returning the dvr to functionality are welcome.

Last edited:
Recording DVR events to vcr and dvd for permanent storage over this past year has also been something of an adventure.

Both vcr's required repair and parts which were unavailable. I have two dvd recorders with internal hdd (also temporary storage devices); one of which is acting up (and may fail). The other has problems dubbing to dvd.

I have tried to back-up the most important dvr events over the past year, but this has taken more time and a whole lot more money than I anticipated.
Inevitably, some favored recordings have fallen through the cracks and cannot be saved.
Nor can they be purchased (especially events from now defunct channels such as IMF).

I am taking your advice, however; I've got another dvd-hdd combo on order (80gb) which should store and edit the remaining events quite nicely; if it functions long enough to do this.

Any further suggestions on keeping the remaining recordings safely stored on the title list; or returning the dvr to functionality are welcome.

Buy an AV input card for your computer and then save the programs by playing them back and capturing them on your computer. You can then transfer them to dvd or to solid state hard drive.

Well, it has been about a week and a half since the dvr on the 625 had an integrity check interrupted by a power outage ...
And last night it failed completely.

It began by emitting a knocking sound as if trying to reboot but then powered down.
Finally the drive failed and deleted the remaining recordings.

This happened the same day that I received a new 80gb hdd to attempt saving some of the events I had overlooked and now seem irreplaceable.
Such is par for the course.

I got pitifully little saved during the past week; trying to play a shell game between the dvd recorders and the dvr.
A shell game which had begun and has continued since the loss of my vcr last year.

I can only say that I backed up those recordings which I truly believe to be irreplaceable,
and in the best way I knew how given the time and money available to me.
Usually transferred to other hdd/dvd recorders, of course, which can also fail.

Twice, late last year, I had some free time and recorded some programs from the dvr ...
But many shorter recordings from discontinued channels (IMF and SciFi --- soon to become SyFy) and programs couldn't be saved.

I can only say that dvr/hdd's seem to be an evolving technology.
My attempts at balancing permanent and temporary storage on these things has not gone as well as I had hoped.
Thank you for your suggestions and replies.

Of course, I welcome any further comment.

Last edited:

FCC DID IT AGAIN

OTA Transition affects on LiL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts