Installer coming on Wednesday, is my new wiring ok?

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I just ran a bunch of wire in my house to accomodate the install I will be getting on Wednesday. But, I think I may have a problem. I am getting a 4 tv installation with a 322 and a 522. Each of my tv locations has two cables coming in from a central location. If each receiver requires 2 inputs from the satellite, how do I get the 2nd output to the 2nd tv on each receiver? I have already used the two coax runs to where the receiver will be as inputs.

If I am totally missing something, please let me know as I am now worried that I may have to run more cables and I don't like crawling around in the attic.

Thanks

let me clarify this a bit. you ran 2 wires to each tv area from a central location?

your installer wont want to do this but diplexors could be used. unfortunately you are probably going to be running new wires. the installer probably wont even have diplexors.

with the 2 tuner 2 tv units (522 and 322) it goes something like 2 in 1 out. so 3 wires are traditionally used at the reciever 2 sat inputs and 1 wire out from the recievers "tv2" out to the actual tv 2. I hope this makes sense.

Again Diplexors could be used but your installer will either likely not have them or not want to use them.

So it sounds like I need to run one more coax to the locations where the receivers will be.

The installers have already been to my house once, but couldn't install because of my house's wiring. That is the reason I re-wired everything. I must mention that the first time the installers were there, they said they needed two cables to the location. They were even talking about running new cables and putting in a dual port jack. Given that, it sounds like they were planning on using diplexers or something.

I may just run a new cable, but not connect it unless they say I need to run another one.

run a cable from the recievers location to the tv2 of each recievers location.. aka receiver is in living room tv 2 is in bedrrom... run 2 lines from central point to living room and run 1 line from living room to bedroom.

Yes, I could do that, but I would rather have all my lines terminate in the central location.

Also, I was wondering about getting another receiver for a fifth tv. If I bought my own receiver, would they still charge me $5 a month to use it?

If I bought my own receiver, would they still charge me $5 a month to use it?

Yes, actually it's $4.99 for additional non-leased receivers.

Most of what I'm going to tell you is going to be dependent on your installer. If you can't get them to work with any of these options, you might be stuck for the moment.

You do have another, albiet pricey, option. You can get a dpp44 switch and two separators, put the switch in your wiring closet, use a single line from it to each receiver, connect the line to the separator input and connect the two separator outputs to the two sat inputs on the receivers. That free's you up for using the second line that you ran for the receiver output back to the closet and wherever you want to go from there. You will have two empty ports off the dpp44 for additional receivers. This option will probably cost you around $250.

You can also use diplexors to send the receiver output back up one of the two lines to the closet and then wherever you want it, however this does not address your question about an additional receiver. Most likely you will be getting a dishpro quad lnb unless your locals are not in the 110 or 119 slots. That quad will only support 4 tuners, which is what you will have. You will not be able to add another receiver without changing your setup to include a switch. Diplexors (good ones) generally run $10 to $20 each, and you need them in pairs for this application. You also have to convice the installer to put them in if you get them, or not hook up the 2nd receiver out and you do it yourself later.

If your locals are NOT in the 110 or 119 slots, the install will include a switch, most likely a dp34. If you can work some kind of deal with the installer to pay extra and get a dpp44 I would do that, otherwise you'll have to decide what you want to do. You can stick with the diplexing option, purchase a second dp34 and cascade it off the first one at a later date when you get the additional receiver, or you can bite the bullet and do everything with your existing wiring, a dpp44 and two separators.

If you DO go with a dpp44, there may be one temporary catch at the beginning. Depending on the software on the receivers when you get them, you may need to temporarily hook up both lines directly to separate ports on the switch so they can download the latest software. Once that is done, you can go to the single feed, seperated at the receiver.

VOOMER seems to know just enough to be dangerous.

You CAN use diplexers to send the TV2 signal back "up" the line to your central closet. It's gotta be done right, but it's NOT hard.

As for a fifth receiver, it depends on a LOT.

Are you getting locals that require a third satellite? If so, you'll end up with a DP34 as part of the install - and AJ's thought on getting that upgraded to a DPP44 and DPP Separator comes into play - and guess what! If you do THAT, you've freed up one of the cables to the receiver, so you can backfeed the TV2 output without diplexers.

OTOH, if you are a 2-bird install, you'll most likely be getting a Quad LNBF, and the fifth receiver now requries a DP34 switch. BUT, if you can talk to the installer and arrange for a DP Twin plus DP34, plus DP21, you've got your fifth tuner feed. ;)

Wow! A lot of good information. I really appreciate all the input. Sounds like I need to try to talk the installer into a DPP44 and whatever else needs to be with it. I'll do a little more research and figure out what all it involves.

As far as the locals go, I am in Atlanta and don't think I need a second dish to get my locals. I don't know much about the satellite locations so all the 110/119 talk just went over my head. I'll eventually figure it out though.

The reason I don't want to run any more cables is because I have a 20 foot wall that I had to cut a hole in to pull the cables through. I have already patched up the hole and really don't feel like doing it again.

Thanks again for all the good information.

Your local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, and UPN affiliates as well as WGTV are being broadcast from 110 and will not need a second dish to receive them. However, WTBS, WUVG, and WPBA are broadcast from a different orbital location and will require a second dish if you want to receive them. If you don't want them, of course, you don't have to have the second dish.

Also, when SimpleSimon mentioned the "third satellite," I believe he meant a second dish to receive the signal from a third orbital location (in this case, those three stations I mentioned that are being broadcast from 61.5).

WakeBdr said:
I just ran a bunch of wire in my house to accomodate the install I will be getting on Wednesday. But, I think I may have a problem. I am getting a 4 tv installation with a 322 and a 522. Each of my tv locations has two cables coming in from a central location. If each receiver requires 2 inputs from the satellite, how do I get the 2nd output to the 2nd tv on each receiver? I have already used the two coax runs to where the receiver will be as inputs.

If I am totally missing something, please let me know as I am now worried that I may have to run more cables and I don't like crawling around in the attic.

Thanks
What type of wire (cable) did you run?

SimpleSimon said:
VOOMER seems to know just enough to be dangerous.
SimpleSimon said:
You CAN use diplexers to send the TV2 signal back "up" the line to your central closet. It's gotta be done right, but it's NOT hard.

Never stated diplexers could not be used !

Sounds like he is confused enough by just getting enough coax to the receivers to get his basic install let alone use of diplexers to redirect signals and all.

Silly me i thought this was an open forum where all try to help each other.

That is a very smart idea running all your lines to a central location (ie..attic entrance). That way if you need to changes wiring around or add switches or anything like that it will be a easy fix.

I agree, but so long as you're careful to not exceed the maximum recommended run lengths (100' legacy, 200' DishPro) and don't introduce too many possibly attenuating connections along the way.

everything read written here so far is an option. the only reason i didnt bring up the dpp44 is because 90% of the people around where i live have never even heard of them. When i bought my 811 they asked me how i was going to hook it up. i told them i was going to use a dp34 and they said it wouldnt work and that the 34 is only for 3 orbital location. obviously they were misinformed. Good luck. Its almost like you are playing installer roulette.

VOOMER said:
Yes, you DID - but you have since removed the evidence.
VOOMER said:
Sounds like he is confused enough by just getting enough coax to the receivers to get his basic install let alone use of diplexers to redirect signals and all.
The original poster did not seem at all confused to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOOMER

Yes, you DID - but you have since removed the evidence.

Well simple all i can tell you is you are wrong !

Only suggested that he run coax to the sets instead of using diplexors.

As far as the evidence as you call it - The posts where removed to allow Your Greatness to Awe us all with your Vast knowledge and have the final say on everyones decisions. It seems you are the 1 answer to all Questions,So this will give you more Space to post.

enjoy:D

I noticed that you deleted ALL your posts to date. Guess you got tired of other veterans also disputing or simply ignoring your bad information.

I also see in your last post, you 'dis me while raising the same concern as I did. :no

Everything was installed today. The installers came in and starting telling me that I needed three lines down to where the receivers were going to be located. I immediately asked if diplexors could be used. Their response led me to believe that they didn't really want to do my install today since it was already 4pm. I kept on it and they said they would try it. Long story short (too late), everything is hooked up now and they did use diplexors.

When they were hooking up the diplexors, I asked if they could use a DPP44 if the diplexors didn't work. They said that they didn't have any of them available because the demand is so big, but if the diplexors didn't work they would definitely try to get one for me.

When they got here, it sounded like I wasn't getting my install done today. But, because of all the things I have learned from reading this forum, they must have thought I knew what I was talking about and agreed to try the diplexors.

Bottom line is I got my install with diplexors and I'm really happy.

Thank you SatelliteGuys!!!

Daystar and Dish (The Saga Continues)

Using Two 811 same house

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts