Install: do you have to use 2.25ghz with seperators

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Install: do you have to use 2.25ghz RG6 with seperators

New install. Got 2.25 ghz ran into the atic, but throughout the house is the older RG6 1 ghz coax.

Will the installer being to use serators with the Dish Pro Plus?

I do not want to have new wire fished through the house or a 2nd line ran.

Is using 2.25 ghz the better wire into the house good enough?

Anyone mix before with separators and the new DIshpro Plus twin LNBs?

Many dealers have reported having problems with DPP and old cable,even though the old cable was rated at 1ghz it might have really been better so you will just have to wait and see.

If you're looking at 10' of crap cable on a total 50' end-to-end run, there's probably no problem. If you're looking at 50' of junk on a 100' total, you're probably screwed.

So its kind of link some Computer CPUs. You buy a 3 Ghz chip but most of the time you can over clock it for a little more.

Is it the same with RG6, it may say 1ghz but I might be able to get it faster enough to use one of those Dish Pro plus seperators?

ScottChez, it's a matter of high-frequency roll-off. I don't know the exact amount of HF loss that DishPro tolerates, but a 10' cable with 2 GHz signal loss of 50dB per hundred feet will "work" the same as a 50' cable @10dB loss/100' since they both yield a 5dB loss. The problem is the lesser stuff won't tell you what the higher frequency attenuation is, so you can never be sure until you try it. And even then, it may work under ideal conditions, but you may lose half your transponders on a cloudy/rainy day.

A separator simply tells the switch to allows the cable to carry low and high band frequencies from possibly two different satellites, instead of low and high from a specific one. If a single tuner can receive all transponders on that cable (i.e. transponder 32 would be the highest frequency), it should be fine for use with a dual tuner box, DPP switch and separator.

Sorry, Pepper - the separator does no such thing. It has no "brain".

The Separator's job is to prevent the two tuners from interfering with each other when commands are sent up the line to the switch (or LNB).

Go ahead and nitpick :p it's actually the DPPlus receiver that tells the switch what to do, not the separator. The separator does however split the low band out port 1 and the high band out port 2. I verified this a while back by connecting a 311 to each output of a separator, when on port 1 it got only odd transponders and on port 2 it got only the evens.

My point was, if you get all transponders on a single tuner box without the separator, then the separator will/should work when using a dual tuner box (and requisite DPP switch/LNBF).

Help with CBS-HD

522 Audio/Video Problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts