increase OTA

Recording is not useless. Use a manual timer for the OTA channels, what I did until the locals showed up in the guide... I grew up w/ VCR's and setting a timer for a certain time & channel was not that complicated, well, unless it's CBS, and it's Sunday, and there was some sort of sport on, why, the Man Upstairs himself could not tell you what time a show would be coming on, much less a guide????

the 922 CAN"T do manual timers and dish passes only via the web page and that won't work with OTA not listed. I know how use a VCR, I was just it would be nice if DISH would fix it and give the run around. I use my OTA DVR for most OTA recording. I just keep complaining to dish. Thanks for the ideas.

the 922 CAN"T do manual timers and dish passes only via the web page and that won't work with OTA not listed. I know how use a VCR, I was just it would be nice if DISH would fix it and give the run around. I use my OTA DVR for most OTA recording. I just keep complaining to dish. Thanks for the ideas.

I had no idea the 922 wouldn't do manual timers... that sux :( No offense meant to you w/ the VCR comment, was just a segway to the CBS vent ;-)

I wrote a book on this earlier, but decided not to post it hoping that something more conclusive would happen and . . . Right now Denver 7 that I have been having problems with just went 0 - 39 (brief picture) - 0 - 77 (picture) - 0. While on the TV itself, the signal is 100% with no wavering. The other channel that I have had problems with, Denver 9 right now is at 88% on the 722. 100% on the TV. And the recording of "Off the Map" on 7, broke up several times, froze once with picture and no sound, then took off as if nothing ever happened. I got the "parts of this program are lost . . ." yada, yada many times. So . . .

And on the locals in the guide topic. The guide as a whole needs major work. Like a new "accurate" information provider. Or is Charlie spending that allotment on antenna companies and TiVo suits. (He should have just bought TiVo this time last year when they were ripe for the picking.)

I think you need to subscribe to locals to get the guide data. The only reason I can think is the PSIP information embedded in an OTA signal may only have the next day or two available, Dish can provide a week.

Dish doesn't want us having access to the PSIP, and has set things up such that a subscription to Dish LIL's is the ONLY way the ViP's will access and display EPG data for OTA's. Consider that legacy Dish HD boxes with OTA tuners DID allow the PSIP, and now by some "oversight," "goof," "incompetency (in thier favor)" prevents the use of the PSIP so that we don't have to pay for an LIL subscription? Dish can legally do this because the ViP's are SATELLITE boxes and aren't regulated the same as OTA boxes that are mandated to access at least PSIP.

Now, the argument can be made that Dish is providing for FREE or at a discounted upgrade, a very sophisticated satellite box that also receives OTA, and they want a return on that investment and require an LIL subscription to provide EPG data for OTA's. However, Dish used to recover that investment by requiring at least a satellite subscription to even have the OTA tuner functional. That was a reasonable requirement; the current requirement for LIL subscription is NOT, IMHO.

So, yeah, free up the PSIP and we could get the proper EPG data and feel the Dish box is an even better product instead of dealing with a lot of "Digital Service" on too many OTA's, and we are PAYING for the EPG with the LIL subscription, and Dish still doesn't provide us with the service at this extra cost. If Dish had virtually all the OTA data, like TiVO does who also use Tribune for EPG, I would NOT be complaining about the LIL subscription requirement. We would feel like we are getting our money's worth.

This is gonna be a post where we won't see a Dish response, although I would love one. One is left wondering why TiVo can get about 99% of all the OTA guide data using Tribune, yet Dish can or will not? Data for KTLA, 5.3, This TV is still "Digital Service" while TiVo handled the transition from 5.2 to 5.3 without one glitch.

Last edited:
Already have an FM Trap in line. The OTA tuner in the 722 drops at about 70-75% signal while the TV's direct are fine. It's the DISH OTA tuner, otherwise, the TV's should drop too, but don't. I installed a whole house 8 channel modulator system back in 1994 when DISH could only do one box, one set and have never had any issues with the sets themselves. Just the DISH OTA tuners.

Someday we'll all look back and say "those original OTA tuners were trash". Just wait . . . you'll see . . . but by then OTA will be long gone and all programming is DLNA. Which we are now getting more use out of.

Is the signal level going up and down on this channel? If so good chance you have mult-path problems. The 622 & 722 OTA tuners are not as good as the module that is put into the newer VIP's. Although the split inside the mod does drop power by 3 db (half). Just read you post #24. It really sounds like you have multi-path problem. The TV tuner you are comparing it to is a newer better design than that of the 722.

Last edited:
. . . The TV tuner you are comparing it to is a newer better design than that of the 722.
Like I have long said, the 722 tuner is inferior. That's a given. DISH "saw" OTA as a "Red Headed Stepchild", as I have been told by several DISH people for quite a while. I guess the reason that the add-on module is better, is that DISH was shown that OTA is not incidental. And I am not comparing signal strength with any other DISH product. But am the "raw" signal that other and varied devices are showing off the same antenna. I'd check my neighbors 722k's to see how they are faring, but I am the only one that is doing OTA.

Wow! I just went to check something and all my locals off the dish are showing a 002 "Partial Signal Loss" screen. I have never seen this before. Oh, their back now. 10 minutes later.

Just did a Front Panel Reset to see what comes up. So . . . .

Like I have long said, the 722 tuner is inferior. That's a given. DISH "saw" OTA as a "Red Headed Stepchild", as I have been told by several DISH people for quite a while. I guess the reason that the add-on module is better, is that DISH was shown that OTA is not incidental. And I am not comparing signal strength with any other DISH product. But am the "raw" signal that other and varied devices are showing off the same antenna. I'd check my neighbors 722k's to see how they are faring, but I am the only one that is doing OTA.

Wow! I just went to check something and all my locals off the dish are showing a 002 "Partial Signal Loss" screen. I have never seen this before. Oh, their back now. 10 minutes later.

Just did a Front Panel Reset to see what comes up. So . . . .

The module is better simply because it is the new broadcom chip rather than the older one in the 722. The drop of all the chs is sounding like you better get stuff off the int HDD. I'm saying this because it is sounding like the OTA section may be able to go belly up.

I just think that dish feels there are not that many subs that use OTA to make worthwhile to fix guide issues and tuner issues which is sad IMHO

I just think that dish feels there are not that many subs that use OTA to make worthwhile to fix guide issues and tuner issues which is sad IMHO
I think DISH miscalculates their subs on many accounts. This would hold true more so if you are coming from the older boxes that don't have OTA tuners and if the sub got locals via DISH. But also if you only had one tuner, as we did for years, one uses the box to record "cable" channels and watch OTA live. So in our household OTA is equal to satellite and has been forever.

Last edited:
The module is better simply because it is the new broadcom chip rather than the older one in the 722. The drop of all the chs is sounding like you better get stuff off the int HDD. I'm saying this because it is sounding like the OTA section may be able to go belly up.
I have a feeling that the whole box is on the verge of dying. I have a 2TB drive that I am using to organize my main computer. Once that is done I will put it on the 722. But as I have said many times I use the Internet more for programming these days, so most of what I would want to keep on the box I already have on my server or can easily get. All I really need to do is take pictures or write down the programming that I wan to keep so I can get it else wise.

Thanks though.
. . . sf

I have a feeling that the whole box is on the verge of dying. I have a 2TB drive that I am using to organize my main computer. Once that is done I will put it on the 722. But as I have said many times I use the Internet more for programming these days, so most of what I would want to keep on the box I already have on my server or can easily get. All I really need to do is take pictures or write down the programming that I wan to keep so I can get it else wise.

Thanks though.
. . . sf

I was using the net allot too. Then last Fri nite was shut down by my ISP. They had sent me a letter talking about that I should compare my usage to others. Well mine was most likely higher, I don't give a "S". None of their biz. But I had supposedly a violation of the TOS. I never found out what the "violation" was. They had literately sent DMCA commands to my cable modem/router and shut it down. It took me at least an hr worth of cell time to get me on line again. I had to talk to a network eng at their hub 300 miles away. And it took him a good while to get me back on line. So today AT&T will be showing up to drop a line for me. Going to DSL 6mb cable was rated at that or faster but varied from 4.5 to 8. I also wound up find a Trojan(3 of them really) the next time my A/V updated and scanned system that I think they were inserting to follow my on line usage. ANyway enuff on that subject.

GolTV-HD Rumor - Will it ever come back to DISH?

Worth re-upping for 24 months?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts