If I get a TiVo HD DVR for my DirecTV and am "moved", will it affect my already existing account wit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I have a DirecTV Genie for my DirecTV account. I am thinking of getting a second DVR, preferably one with TiVo capabilities, since I love my TiVo Roamio for my OTA antenna so much. But with DirecTV I am "moved", and that makes me wonder if DirecTV and TiVo having two different service addresses would somehow notify both if I get a TiVo for DirecTV? I probably can't use the excuse that I have two different homes or a vacation home at this time, for the billing address is not where I live, and at least the DirecTV account is not under my name, although I'm an authorized user (plan on getting that changed soon). So my question is, given that TiVo through my antenna has my real address, and DirecTV has a "moved" address, would merging them together notify them both in some way? Or would it be separate somehow? If it'd cause problems, I'll go with a basic HD DVR that can also be 3D compatible which would be a bonus that way. But, although not important if not, is there a DirecTV TiVo HD DVR that has 3D capabilities as well? Thanks for your help guys.

If I get a TiVo HD DVR for my DirecTV and am "moved", will it affect my already existing account with TiVo for my antenna?
no.

But, although not important if not, is there a DirecTV TiVo HD DVR that has 3D capabilities as well?
no

Also the Tivo HD through Directv has nowhere near the features as a name brand Tivo

And will it be able to talk to my Genie HR-44?

nope. MRV is not offered on the TIvo

Basically its a HD DVR with the basic Tivo interface for searching. ALso there is an extra fee for having the "privilege" of having it...I think its and extra $5 on top of the receiver fee
per the D* site...The following DIRECTV features are not available with the TiVo HD DVR: Whole-Home DVR service, DIRECTV iPad App remote control and live TV streaming functionality, DIRECTV CINEMA (satellite downloads), YouTube on TV, 3D, and GameSearch™.

It doesn't do mrv, and it doesn't do swm. Is your Genie connected with a swm8 or swm16 switch?

It doesn't do mrv, and it doesn't do swm. Is your Genie connected with a swm8 or swm16 switch?

One of those sounds familiar, so I'm assuming it is. I would like to have it, even if it doesn't talk to my Genie. But if I change my mind, what secondary receiver should I have that would talk to my Genie and is 3D capable?

I just got my equipment in August of last year. I switched from Dish Network. I think I have the highest grade equipment under the international dish and stuff. I hope that helps.

One of those sounds familiar, so I'm assuming it is. I would like to have it, even if it doesn't talk to my Genie. But if I change my mind, what secondary receiver should I have that would talk to my Genie and is 3D capable?

I would Not go with the TIVO, as Iceberg mentioned, its basically a TIVO Lite, doesn't do what your gonna expect.

You would be better off going with a HR24 HD DVR as a secondary recvr.
That WILL talk to your genie ... and your Genie and HR24 will do more than the D* TIVO unit.

If you got the HR44 Genie, you got the new TIVO style remote , thats what it reminds me of anyways.

I would Not go with the TIVO, as Iceberg mentioned, its basically a TIVO Lite, doesn't do what your gonna expect.

You would be better off going with a HR24 HD DVR as a secondary recvr.
That WILL talk to your genie ... and your Genie and HR24 will do more than the D* TIVO unit.

If you got the HR44 Genie, you got the new TIVO style remote , thats what it reminds me of anyways.

Okay, but the main reason I want the TiVo is for the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" and TiVo suggestions which I LOVE if that's what Iceberg means by the TiVo search interface. But if I go with the HR-24, is it 3D capable?

Yes, the HR24 does 3D.

But does the TiVo interface have the "thumbs-up" and "thumbs down"and TiVo suggestions, or is the interface search something different? I'm not sure what this TiVo search Iceberg is speaking of. For I have no experience with this on DirecTV. I will probably go with the HR-24 but considering all my options. Thoughts?

But does the TiVo interface have the "thumbs-up" and "thumbs down"and TiVo suggestions, or is the interface search something different? I'm not sure what this TiVo search Iceberg is speaking of. For I have no experience with this on DirecTV. I will probably go with the HR-24 but considering all my options. Thoughts?

The Genie doesn't do Suggestions persa, but it does have Whats On Tonight and Genie Suggestions under the Menu tab.

I'll clear a few things up, since I have 2 THR-22 (DirecTivos) as well as a Tivo Premiere (free lifeline Comcast with rent -- I kept the Tivo active for local subchannels and to watch CBC and for use as my Netflix/Hulu/Youtube box)

First off, it does do SWM -- so if you have a SWM switch, you'll be fine. Both mine are set up on single wires -- no issues there.

Secondly, as previously mentioned, it will not talk with the Genies or do whole home at all... it's basically a standalone box. It does do "On Demand" -- many people think the lack of "DirecTV Cinema" means the lack of On Demand -- I can't really tell what the difference is... It seems to have the exact same content as my old non-Tivo D* boxes. I think it just doesn't cache the shows from the satellite for instant playback (basically only the PPV's anyway) -- it has to download & buffer them just like everything else.

Compared to the Premiere, you lose all "third party" software -- no Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Youtube etc... Your only access to streaming is what is provided by DirecTV On Demand.

As for being a "crippled" Tivo Box, it's crippled in the exact same ways as the old DirecTivo Series 2's; they couldn't get the third party software either. This is "technically" a Series 3 box, not a Series 4 (Premiere), so you don't get the same nice HD Menus (it is actually a custom software port over the HR22 hardware, but Tivo identifies it as a Series 3) -- it's all SD menus -- so any comparisons made to it should be done to Series 3, not Series 4 boxes -- you'll be permanently stuck at Tivo version 11. If you had an old HR10-250, your essentially looking at the exact same box, but with a higher capacity, faster processor, and On Demand abilities (and of course MPEG4 HD, which of course was the main point of this release in the first place)...

So no, don't expect this to be a Premiere... but I'm not going to say it's garbage. What I *will* say is that it is now 2 generations behind the current Tivo boxes (Roamios are Series 5, Premiere is Series 4) -- this is more along the lines of a "Tivo HD", with the same DirecTV restrictions that have been in every Tivo since they released them -- and that there are no signs that DirecTV has even thought about a replacement, so it's pretty much an orphan product.

That said, it was faster than any D* box until the HR24, and if you want a dead simple, rock solid DVR that does Suggestions w/ the thumbs up & down, actually lets you edit the "channels you get" (and pretends they don't even exist), love the Tivo remote, and don't really care about Whole Home service (or don't mind that it won't talk to your Genie), I say go for it.

Even with being outdated, I *still* find the software more pleasant to use, easier on the eyes, and the BIG one (for me) is that it lets you edit the "channels you get" (which on D* is never perfect for some reason--and they always include PPV channels regardless), obeys that list to the letter, and doesn't spring a bunch of movies and shows onto your list because they match a description, then you go to watch them and it's on a channel that you actually don't get, but it thinks you do (this happened to me a LOT on my non-Tivos and is why I changed to them as soon as they were released)... when I want to watch TV, I don't want to have to think about it -- and I really never have to when I'm using a Tivo. THAT is the main selling point -- not the extra features.

Would I love it if they released a Premiere or Roamio-based Tivo that had a faster processor and HD menus? Absolutely! Is it missing any "killer apps" for me? Nope... not any more than the old Series 2 DirecTivos... Unless your "killer app" is whole home--and mine is not--you should be completely happy.

N

I'll clear a few things up, since I have 2 THR-22 (DirecTivos) as well as a Tivo Premiere (free lifeline Comcast with rent -- I kept the Tivo active for local subchannels and to watch CBC and for use as my Netflix/Hulu/Youtube box)

First off, it does do SWM -- so if you have a SWM switch, you'll be fine. Both mine are set up on single wires -- no issues there.

Secondly, as previously mentioned, it will not talk with the Genies or do whole home at all... it's basically a standalone box. It does do "On Demand" -- many people think the lack of "DirecTV Cinema" means the lack of On Demand -- I can't really tell what the difference is... It seems to have the exact same content as my old non-Tivo D* boxes. I think it just doesn't cache the shows from the satellite for instant playback (basically only the PPV's anyway) -- it has to download & buffer them just like everything else.

Compared to the Premiere, you lose all "third party" software -- no Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Youtube etc... Your only access to streaming is what is provided by DirecTV On Demand.

As for being a "crippled" Tivo Box, it's crippled in the exact same ways as the old DirecTivo Series 2's; they couldn't get the third party software either. This is "technically" a Series 3 box, not a Series 4 (Premiere), so you don't get the same nice HD Menus (it is actually a custom software port over the HR22 hardware, but Tivo identifies it as a Series 3) -- it's all SD menus -- so any comparisons made to it should be done to Series 3, not Series 4 boxes -- you'll be permanently stuck at Tivo version 11. If you had an old HR10-250, your essentially looking at the exact same box, but with a higher capacity, faster processor, and On Demand abilities (and of course MPEG4 HD, which of course was the main point of this release in the first place)...

So no, don't expect this to be a Premiere... but I'm not going to say it's garbage. What I *will* say is that it is now 2 generations behind the current Tivo boxes (Roamios are Series 5, Premiere is Series 4) -- this is more along the lines of a "Tivo HD", with the same DirecTV restrictions that have been in every Tivo since they released them -- and that there are no signs that DirecTV has even thought about a replacement, so it's pretty much an orphan product.

That said, it was faster than any D* box until the HR24, and if you want a dead simple, rock solid DVR that does Suggestions w/ the thumbs up & down, actually lets you edit the "channels you get" (and pretends they don't even exist), love the Tivo remote, and don't really care about Whole Home service (or don't mind that it won't talk to your Genie), I say go for it.

Even with being outdated, I *still* find the software more pleasant to use, easier on the eyes, and the BIG one (for me) is that it lets you edit the "channels you get" (which on D* is never perfect for some reason--and they always include PPV channels regardless), obeys that list to the letter, and doesn't spring a bunch of movies and shows onto your list because they match a description, then you go to watch them and it's on a channel that you actually don't get, but it thinks you do (this happened to me a LOT on my non-Tivos and is why I changed to them as soon as they were released)... when I want to watch TV, I don't want to have to think about it -- and I really never have to when I'm using a Tivo. THAT is the main selling point -- not the extra features.

Would I love it if they released a Premiere or Roamio-based Tivo that had a faster processor and HD menus? Absolutely! Is it missing any "killer apps" for me? Nope... not any more than the old Series 2 DirecTivos... Unless your "killer app" is whole home--and mine is not--you should be completely happy.

N
You would have to sign a 2 yr commitment to activate it iirc ....
Also, as mentioned, it is 2 generations behind the current TIVO line up and at least 3 generations behind the current D* equipment, typically each generation gets a bit quicker, so I can't imagine what the speed of this unit is once it's been used for awhile.

These would be a few things that I would think about before signing up for this unit.
3 generations behind most D* stuff and signing a 2 yr commit likely makes it at least another generation behind before it out of commitment.
Btw, nice write up NGeorge.

Installer/ repair guys ...
If you go out and service a TIVO that is in need of replacement, does it still get replaced with a TIVO, are they still supplying TIVO's to replace them, or are they having the sub choose a D* branded replacement ?

Installer/ repair guys ...
If you go out and service a TIVO that is in need of replacement, does it still get replaced with a TIVO, are they still supplying TIVO's to replace them, or are they having the sub choose a D* branded replacement ?

Basically the tech has to call the warehouse since almost no one stocks these on their trucks. If any are available to begin with the tech needs to "obtain" it by whatever means. The job would most likely end up rescheduled to allow time to get another tivo unless the job is in a town close to the local hsp warehouse.

The OLI for a tivo is literally THR22-100 so it can only be service swapped with another tivo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

From what I have read, there are plenty in the warehouses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR20-700 Dual Inputs

SWM question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)