IF AMP to boost signal along 30 meter cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi guys The length of the coaxial-cable is 30 meter long , And I am planning to use an IF Amplifier ( ALCAD ) in order to boost the signal and to compensate for the losses of the impedance of the cable >

What is the best way to connect the AMP :-

1 - At the receiver-end

Or 2 - At the LNB at the top

Any thought you would have be greatly appreciated .

Best Regards

I would NOT install any kind of amp. I would get quad shield cable or even RG11 before I would ever install an in line amp. Over the years I have removed (and fixed the problem) MANY more amps than I have ever used.

Just my 2 cents worth!

PSB is right on with this one too. I would add that amps can add noise to the signal and need to be maintained.

PSB said:
I would NOT install any kind of amp. I would get quad shield cable or even RG11 before I would ever install an in line amp. Over the years I have removed (and fixed the problem) MANY more amps than I have ever used.
Just my 2 cents worth!

al_madhi said:
Hi guys The length of the coaxial-cable is 30 meter long , And I am planning to use an IF Amplifier ( ALCAD ) in order to boost the signal and to compensate for the losses of the impedance of the cable >
What is the best way to connect the AMP :-
1 - At the receiver-end
Or 2 - At the LNB at the top
Any thought you would have be greatly appreciated .
Best Regards

As PSB said...not recommended! It will boost the noise along with the signal!
Jeff

isnt 30 meters like 100 feet? (my metric conversions suck)

100 feet you wouldnt need an amp...I have a run of 175 on one and the signal is still great :)

My limited experience with amps wasn't good.
For only 30m, I would suggest in this order:
1) appropriate coax
2) better LNB
3) a bigger dish, if you still need more signal.

thanks to all members who replied to my thread

All agreed that a 30 meters long cable is not that long to insert an amplifier to amplify the signal It may distort the signal than to amplify it .

Anyway There is a proverb ( saying ) tells that " Experiment is the best proof"
I connect the AMP at the top near the LNB and there was no change in the signal strength , But at the receiver-end , The signal level increased from 62% to 78% And the signal Quality icreased from 74% to 86% .

As I mentioned in my thread AMP beteen two brackets ( ALCAD ) this is the name of the manufacturer of this AMP . It is a TV/SAT Indoor Amplifier From the Technical Leaflet It has one input from the LNB and Four outputs for four receivers downstair .
Frequecy Range : Band ( MHz) for TV ( 47-862) for SAT ( 950-2150 )
Gain ( dB ) for TV ( 22 +/- 1 ) for SAT ( 25 +/- 2 )
Adjudtable Gain ( dB ) for TV ( 16 ) for SAT ( 13 )
Fixed Equalization (dB ) for TV ( 3 ) for SAT ( 8 )
Isolation ( dB ) for TV ( > 13 ) for SAT ( > 9 )
- -

Any comments on this AMP .

Best Regards

A.M.AL-MADHI

happy for you!

Glad it is working out for you! I would suggest if you ever have a problem...look there first!

I have seen them work sometimes then go poof along with the signal...Hopefully yours will continue to work for you!

regards
Jeff

A good quality coaxial cable can let you gett he signal up to 300' if not at least 250'. I did few long run cable for customer using belden cable which is at least twice the cost of the $39.oo from china.

sksatellite said:
A good quality coaxial cable can let you gett he signal up to 300' if not at least 250'. I did few long run cable for customer using belden cable which is at least twice the cost of the $39.oo from china.

thanks sksatellite for reply

the cable I using It is a Belden cable , the reason I am using this AMP because it amlifies the signal and distributes the signal to other four receivers the AMP has one input from the LNB and four outputs for four receivers , but I am using one receiver at a time the others are off m all receivers in one room .

Best Regards

I for one thought it was

al_madhi said:
thanks sksatellite for reply
the cable I using It is a Belden cable , the reason I am using this AMP because it amlifies the signal and distributes the signal to other four receivers the AMP has one input from the LNB and four outputs for four receivers , but I am using one receiver at a time the others are off m all receivers in one room .
Best Regards

So it is a distribution amp!!! I thought it was one of those little in-line jobs! Distribution amps usually have better noise rejection and specs and is needed when driving multiple TV's. I have to use a little Motorola for my indoor Terk powered Local antenna...it does well there and unless I wanted an bunch of separate antennas...was needed

BELDEN IS THE GOOD STUFF!
best of luck....
Jeff

I agree with the experiment idea. If you have time try doing a blind scan with other sats (with and without the amp) to see what results you get. I would also be interested in the results of say a 1 meter cable and no amp.

Thanks for the feedback.

al_madhi said:
thanks to all members who replied to my thread
All agreed that a 30 meters long cable is not that long to insert an amplifier to amplify the signal It may distort the signal than to amplify it .
Anyway There is a proverb ( saying ) tells that " Experiment is the best proof"
I connect the AMP at the top near the LNB and there was no change in the signal strength , But at the receiver-end , The signal level increased from 62% to 78% And the signal Quality icreased from 74% to 86% .
As I mentioned in my thread AMP beteen two brackets ( ALCAD ) this is the name of the manufacturer of this AMP . It is a TV/SAT Indoor Amplifier From the Technical Leaflet It has one input from the LNB and Four outputs for four receivers downstair .
Frequecy Range : Band ( MHz) for TV ( 47-862) for SAT ( 950-2150 )
Gain ( dB ) for TV ( 22 +/- 1 ) for SAT ( 25 +/- 2 )
Adjudtable Gain ( dB ) for TV ( 16 ) for SAT ( 13 )
Fixed Equalization (dB ) for TV ( 3 ) for SAT ( 8 )
Isolation ( dB ) for TV ( > 13 ) for SAT ( > 9 )
- -
Any comments on this AMP .
Best Regards
A.M.AL-MADHI

Most distribution amps are made for use in CATV (Cable TV) systems and therefore have a lower frequency range (usually not above 1 Ghz). Satellite signals typically go up to around 1.4 Ghz or higher.

Does this amp correctly pass power to your LNBF? Another issue is that, just as with a splitter, you will be limited in polarity to what your master receiver is set on. Also, you should use DC blocks all but one of the receiver connections.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the stats you posted. That is an interesting piece of gear, I didn't know that distribution amps made for use with LNBFs were commonly available...

Last edited:
Tron said:
Most distribution amps are made for use in CATV (Cable TV) systems and therefore have a lower frequency range (usually not above 1 Ghz). Satellite signals typically go up to around 1.4 Ghz or higher.
Does this amp correctly pass power to your LNBF? Another issue is that, just as with a splitter, you will be limited in polarity to what your master receiver is set on. Also, you should use DC blocks all but one of the receiver connections.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the stats you posted. That is an interesting piece of gear, I didn't know that distribution amps made for use with LNBFs were commonly available...

Thanks Tron for reply

Please go back and read my reply to all members post # 7 , I mentioned all the technical spec of this AMP .

I use it for LNBFs for C-BAND And Universal LNBs for Ku-bands and works perfectly ( DiSEqc I/P # 1 Univ LNB , DiSEqC I/P # 2 LNBF (C-band ) DiSEqC I/P #3 Univ LNB , DiSEqC I/P # 4 LNBF ( C-band ) ) .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA and Media Center / HTPC

coolsat 5000 - programs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)