IA-7 (Formerly Telstar 7) GONE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
It appears something has happened to IA-7 (Telstar 7) at 129° West. I have heard that Starband, which is on some of the Ku transponders, is telling subscribers that,

"On Sunday morning, we lost communication with the IA7 satellite and
it cannot be repaired. All customers with Tech IDs begining with
002, 050 and 189 are affected. To restore service we are working
with our satellite providers to move customers to a different
satellite and we are working to provide our customers with temporary
dial-up service. We will update you as information becomes
available."

I note that I cannot pick up anything on IA-7, for example America One seems to be gone. So if anyone is trying to receive a signal from that satellite, it probably isn't going to happen, unless they somehow get it fixed.

Intelsat has declared IA-7 "a total loss" according to Ramu Potarazu, the Chief Operating Officer for Intelsat. They are not giving any reason for the failure as of yet. At approx 02:22am ET Sunday, they had an electrical short of some kind on Bus 1 and eight minutes later lost telemetry to the spacecraft according to Intelsat engineer Kevin Maloy. There were no station-keeping maneuvers being done at the time, Maloy said. IA-7 was located at 129 degrees West longitude.

As of 11am ET, ABSAT Ku transponders on IA-6 will NOT be affected. Early this morning, it looked like we might lose IA-6 / K11 and K19 to restore protected customers from IA-7. That will not happen as of now. Intelsat bought space from PanAmSat on the Horizons 1 satellite to restore those customers.

IA-8 will launch in mid-December. It's currently slated to go to the 89 degree orbital slot (where Telstar 4 used to be), but Intelsat wouldn't say if that orbital position would change because of this failure.

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/29/0639232&tid=215&tid=137&tid=160&tid=1

anik said:
It appears something has happened to IA-7 (Telstar 7) at 129° West. I have heard that Starband, which is on some of the Ku transponders, is telling subscribers that,

"On Sunday morning, we lost communication with the IA7 satellite and
it cannot be repaired. All customers with Tech IDs begining with
002, 050 and 189 are affected. To restore service we are working
with our satellite providers to move customers to a different
satellite and we are working to provide our customers with temporary
dial-up service. We will update you as information becomes
available."

I note that I cannot pick up anything on IA-7, for example America One seems to be gone. So if anyone is trying to receive a signal from that satellite, it probably isn't going to happen, unless they somehow get it fixed.

Stop the presses! This just in...

IA-7 IS NOT DEAD!

Late this afternoon, we met with Intelsat and they told us that they've managed to revive one of the two buses on board the spacecraft...

Thanks to ABCABSAT

Diamond Jim said:
That makes sense, if I ask you if you want to go drink an OZ or an OZer, what are you goung to get? ;)

something I won't drink :)

Did you try to blind scan the C-Band portion of 121?

What an interesting turn this thread has taken. I prefer Amaretto Di Saronno straight. :)

Anyways, it's always sad when something like this (lost satellite) happens. Let's all take a drink in memory of IA-7. There, I connected the discussion. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help with Wiring

IBM Ultrastar FTA receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)