HR34 self install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grover432

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I am planning a self install of an HR34 which will be connected to 4 TVs with an HR24 connected to a 5th TV. I'd like to be able to take the 24 to the lake while on vacation. I've installed Dish in the past but an not familiar with DTVs hardware. I know that I need a new slimline dish, the 34 and the 24. The questions I have are as follows:

1. How many wires From the Lnbs to the switch (in the basement)?
2. What model switch is require.
3. I will place the 34 in our bedroom, does it send it's signal back to the other TVs through the switch in the basement?
4. What hardware (receiver?) will I need at the other 4 TVs to allow HD viewing, recording, playback etc.?
5. When I connect and setup the 24 on the 5th TV, will I be able to disconnect it when I need to do so (take it to the lake) and then return it when I am done at the lake? I'm aware I'll need a second dish at the lake. Do I need another switch too? What type?

Thanks.

Grover

Do you have a Broadband DECA (CCK-W)? If so, that will use an additional channel on the SWM. Should be okay though. If your replacing the HD receiver then you would be using 8 channels total.

Lanarian said:
Do you have a Broadband DECA (CCK-W)? If so, that will use an additional channel on the SWM. Should be okay though. If your replacing the HD receiver then you would be using 8 channels total.

Broad band deca is an CCK a wifi is a CCK-W. as for it using a SWM channel, yes. Tuner, no. You can have 8 tuners used and add a deca. Deca's are information only so they don't use a tuner so it won't matter

Unless you have Samsung Tvs with RVU capability, you are misunderstanding how the HR34 works. It will not drive five TVs, the five tuners allow it to record five programs simultaneously. Its connectivity is the same as a regular HR2x DVR.
If you have a Samsung TV with RVU client capability (that is only in certain 2011 models, no 2012 so far) then these can connect via coax to the whole home network and access the HR34 tuners. And soon DirecTv is expected to release a small RVU client box which can do the same. But the HR34 is limited to three streams at one time, and each RVU client or another DVR/receiver accessing the HR34 through whole home uses one stream. Right now, without RVU, you need a DirecTV receiver or DVR at each TV (assuming you want them to watch different programming).

EDIT: And FYI, the CCK does not use an SWM channel, or a tuner. The DECA frequency band is separate.

texasbrit said:
Unless you have Samsung Tvs with RVU capability, you are misunderstanding how the HR34 works. It will not drive five TVs, the five tuners allow it to record five programs simultaneously. Its connectivity is the same as a regular HR2x DVR.
If you have a Samsung TV with RVU client capability (that is only in certain 2011 models, no 2012 so far) then these can connect via coax to the whole home network and access the HR34 tuners. And soon DirecTv is expected to release a small RVU client box which can do the same. But the HR34 is limited to three streams at one time, and each RVU client or another DVR/receiver accessing the HR34 through whole home uses one stream. Right now, without RVU, you need a DirecTV receiver or DVR at each TV (assuming you want them to watch different programming).

EDIT: And FYI, the CCK does not use an SWM channel, or a tuner. The DECA frequency band is separate.

It does use the SWM channel. Channel 1 to be exact. It's the channel all receivers share

I was referring to the regular SWM channels....

texasbrit said:
I was referring to the regular SWM channels....

It is a regular SWM channel. There is 9, channel number 1 is shared by all receivers for on demand, YouTube, and MRV, then 2-9 are assigned as each receiver is powered up and takes 1 or 2 channels depending on if it's a DVR or not

I am planning a self install of an HR34 which will be connected to 4 TVs with an HR24 connected to a 5th TV. I'd like to be able to take the 24 to the lake while on vacation. I've installed Dish in the past but an not familiar with DTVs hardware. I know that I need a new slimline dish, the 34 and the 24. The questions I have are as follows:

1. How many wires From the Lnbs to the switch (in the basement)?
2. What model switch is require.
3. I will place the 34 in our bedroom, does it send it's signal back to the other TVs through the switch in the basement?
4. What hardware (receiver?) will I need at the other 4 TVs to allow HD viewing, recording, playback etc.?
5. When I connect and setup the 24 on the 5th TV, will I be able to disconnect it when I need to do so (take it to the lake) and then return it when I am done at the lake? I'm aware I'll need a second dish at the lake. Do I need another switch too? What type?

Thanks.

Grover

With the 5 tuners from the HR34,the 2 tuners from the HR24,& the 1 tuner each you'd have with the H21/23/24/25 HD receivers you'd need for your 4 TV's(you can hook up the HR34 to one of the four TV's & a H21/23/24/25 HD receiver each to the other 3 TV's,& your HR24 hooked up to your fifth TV),that would come to a total of 10 tuners. You'd need to change your LNB,if it is a one cable SWM LNB,to a 4 cable LNB,& you'd need a SWM16 multi-switch with power adapter.

It is a regular SWM channel. There is 9, channel number 1 is shared by all receivers for on demand, YouTube, and MRV, then 2-9 are assigned as each receiver is powered up and takes 1 or 2 channels depending on if it's a DVR or not
Well, we just differ in our definitions.

Do we know when the clients will be released? It seems a waste of money to have to buy DVRs for each TV. :(

There would most likely be a fee for the clients each month wouldnt there? Maybe 3$ a month?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hotpass going HD only

2 PVR setup Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts