HR20 shortcuts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xfactor

Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I recently upgraded from the HR10-250 to the HR20. Overall I'm pretty happy with DirecTV's new DVR system, but I definitely miss a lot of the navigation shortcuts and tricks that I used daily with the TiVo-based HR10-250... does anyone know of a listing for remote-entered shortcut codes for the new Direct DVR based boxes?

What shortcuts exactly are you talking about? Maybe things like Tivo-3 or something to go directly to a menu? Wow, I haven't heard anyone talk about those in a few years.

If so, the HR20 has no shortcuts like that. BUT, there are a few using the colored buttons. Like hitting list and then yellow takes you to the To Do list. Is that what you're talking about? DBSTalk has a pretty extensive FAQ document that would list any shortcuts that are known.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. In particular, TiVo had a way to skip quickly to the end of a recorded program in 15 minute increments, which was very convenient. (With Direct DVR you have to manually FF through). Also, I like TiVo's 30-sec "skip" function a lot better than the Direct DVR's 30-sec "FF" button.
So I guess the Direct DVR system is a lot more locked-down than TiVo...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. In particular, TiVo had a way to skip quickly to the end of a recorded program in 15 minute increments, which was very convenient. (With Direct DVR you have to manually FF through). Also, I like TiVo's 30-sec "skip" function a lot better than the Direct DVR's 30-sec "FF" button.
So I guess the Direct DVR system is a lot more locked-down than TiVo...

You can skip to tick on the HR20. Press and hold the FFW for 3 seconds. You can skip to tick in reverse by holding the RRW down for 3 seconds. I believe to skip directly to the end you press and hold the advance button for 3 seconds.

There is a whole list of these at DBSTalk.

Ah. I see. Another member called it "skip to hash", and already explained it to me. Sounds cool. But, I will wait for a proper 30-second skip before switching to D*.

It's not going to happen. I'll guess you'll never have D*. As I've said before inother posts, there is a reason why the Tivo 30 second skip to this day is still unsupported and is a "back door" code.

It's not going to happen. I'll guess you'll never have D*. As I've said before inother posts, there is a reason why the Tivo 30 second skip to this day is still unsupported and is a "back door" code.

People keep wanting this and wanting that, that the TIVO had, well people, alot of that ain't happenin,because then it would BE TIVO, a lot of these features are TIVO specific, and TIVO has a Patent for them, therefore NO one else can use them,if they don't pay the TIVO fee.
D* decided payingTIVO all this time was a waist of money when they could make one work with thier own name and designs on it.
D* chose a company called Pace to produce thier DVR, Pace also make a number of other set top box type of devices as well.
They make many of your Cable TV boxes as well.

Jimbo

People keep wanting this and wanting that, that the TIVO had, well people, alot of that ain't happenin,because then it would BE TIVO, a lot of these features are TIVO specific, and TIVO has a Patent for them, therefore NO one else can use them,if they don't pay the TIVO fee.
D* decided payingTIVO all this time was a waist of money when they could make one work with thier own name and designs on it.
D* chose a company called Pace to produce thier DVR, Pace also make a number of other set top box type of devices as well.
They make many of your Cable TV boxes as well.

Jimbo

And that makes a sad day in D* history, and there future.

And that makes a sad day in D* history, and there future.

Not true....
I would rather have something that will work in the future and handle HD recordings as well. I previously had no way to record HD. If I could come up with a way to transfer to a recordable device I would be rich now.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Install Of the HR20

Format Options

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts