HR20 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I know from reading the reviews that the HR20 does NOT have dual live buffers. My question is if you're recording something on 1 tuner and watching something live on the other tuner, will you have the 90 min buffer on the tuner that you're watching live? If you can it would be a work around for not having dual buffers. If there's 2 shows you want to watch then you can record one and watch the other one live (and still be able to pause and rewind) and then just watch the recorded one once the other show is done.

I think the buffer on the live is 90 min. I think the issue is around folks watching 2 live shows not flagged as record and flip back and forth between the 2 buffers. You should have no problem with the 90 min buffer if the unit is recording another program on the other tuner.

Good deal. Then the lack of 2 buffers doesn't really bother me. It'd be nice but not a big thing for me.

hahler2 said:
Good deal. Then the lack of 2 buffers doesn't really bother me. It'd be nice but not a big thing for me.

Thats my thinking too. Nice feature but I dont even use it right now on my HR10's. I watch mostly recorded stuff.

Yup. Me too. I very occassionaly flip back and forth but really, if you're gonna be doing that you should probably just record the one program anyway. You get more out of them watching them at seperate times than you do trying to watch 2 at once.

You guys have evidently never tried watching two simulateneous sports events. What is great about 2 buffers is you can pause one game, watch another till a commercial, then pause that game and return to the first, catch up to live if you skip time between plays/pitches, return to 2nd tuner, ad infinitum. Never watch another commercial, EVEN WHILE WATCHING near-LIVE TV! One of the many reasons why I won't trade in my HR10-250... ever. Not saying I won't someday buy an HR20, but there are too many things I would miss about good ol' HD Tivo.

I actually watch live sports but I have 2 HD Tivos, 1 main TV for the HD game and whatever in a separate smaller one next to it. The setup is mainly for Sunday Ticket. For events where its one game, I tape it, watch something until about an hour into the game and then watch the game zipping through the commercials.

I appreciate the 2 buffers but my style and setup just doesnt use it.

KSbugeater said:
You guys have evidently never tried watching two simulateneous sports events. What is great about 2 buffers is you can pause one game, watch another till a commercial, then pause that game and return to the first, catch up to live if you skip time between plays/pitches, return to 2nd tuner, ad infinitum. Never watch another commercial, EVEN WHILE WATCHING near-LIVE TV! One of the many reasons why I won't trade in my HR10-250... ever. Not saying I won't someday buy an HR20, but there are too many things I would miss about good ol' HD Tivo.

That's exactly what I do. I will have to strongly think about switching from my HR10-250 also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Splitting a signal

HR20-700 upgrade pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)