How things have changed

and when his internet goes down what on earth will he do then
I have no idea what your broadband is like, but that is a rare occurrence for myself.

Been only internet since 2015.
power goes out here the genny kicks on and tv is back up and running.:shh
Same problem if he has Satellite or just internet, no power means no power, when it comes back on, everything should be working.

Last edited:
and when his internet goes down what on earth will he do then. power goes out here the genny kicks on and tv is back up and running.:shh
YMMV, but my internet goes down a whole lot less than satellite went out due to weather or cable went out for whatever reason. Of course, if it is due to a line cut, the outage could be a whole lot longer than a thunderstorm blocking signal from the sky. This has only happened once in 7 years at my current house though.

and when his internet goes down what on earth will he do then. power goes out here the genny kicks on and tv is back up and running.:shh
Just from my own personal experience, but I lost satellite signal due to weather (when I had it) far more often than I have had an internet outage and lost streaming.

That said, neither was really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Even Phillip Swann of TV Predictions/Answerman, who was extremely pro DirecTV, is recommending people to switch, based on Content and Monetary issues.

I strongly urge everyone to examine your current monthly TV bill and decide whether you need what you are currently paying for. We all get lazy and it’s easy to just let a subscription continue long past the reason why we first subscribed. But as I did with DIRECTV Stream, you might be surprised that you no longer need one or more services.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimbo
So years of underinvestment in anything but sports has caught up with them, and now they have to get off their butts and do something about it. Probably too late though. I do think the focus in non-premium fare makes a lot of sense, or would have. One of the reasons streaming isn't more profitable is how expensive the prestige shows are. Where is the ROI?

For the past couple of years, Warner Bros. Discovery WBD -2.34%decrease; red down pointing triangle
neglected its flagship TNT cable network as it focused on building its nascent streaming service, betting that a mix of live sports and reruns would satisfy viewers and distributors.

Now, the entertainment conglomerate is rethinking its cable-network strategy, a move that comes against the backdrop of losing its highest-profile sports property and a potentially fatal blow to its streaming expansion.

The company has begun working on beefing up original programming for its TNT cable network, people familiar with the matter said, which will involve an increase in spending.

So years of underinvestment in anything but sports has caught up with them, and now they have to get off their butts and do something about it. Probably too late though. I do think the focus in non-premium fare makes a lot of sense, or would have. One of the reasons streaming isn't more profitable is how expensive the prestige shows are. Where is the ROI?

For the past couple of years, Warner Bros. Discovery WBD -2.34%decrease; red down pointing triangle
neglected its flagship TNT cable network as it focused on building its nascent streaming service, betting that a mix of live sports and reruns would satisfy viewers and distributors.

Now, the entertainment conglomerate is rethinking its cable-network strategy, a move that comes against the backdrop of losing its highest-profile sports property and a potentially fatal blow to its streaming expansion.

The company has begun working on beefing up original programming for its TNT cable network, people familiar with the matter said, which will involve an increase in spending.
Paywalled by the way.

Another reset for Warner/Discovery.

And to refocus on an industry that is losing an average of 2 Million subscribers a quarter is another disaster .

But I understand why they are doing this, TNT gets a high per sub fees (over $2), one not deserved based on the ratings, when they go into negotiations with providers, they need to show why they deserve that fee and a increase.

Buy any of those shows will be on MAX the next day, while HBO type new content, will continued to be ignored, mostly because of the expense.

Paywalled by the way.
Yeah, I know. That is why I also pasted the first few sentences, so people got the gist. I am sure a copy will show up on MSN or Yahoo! at some point, but I didn't see one when I looked, so I posted the original article. If I post something that is paywalled, it is because I didn't find another source.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yeah, I know. That is why I also pasted the first few sentences, so people got the gist. I am sure a copy will show up on MSN or Yahoo! at some point, but I didn't see one when I looked, so I posted the original article. If I post something that is paywalled, it is because I didn't find another source.
I really wanted to read it, but I have enough subscriptions.

I have been posting about Warner being a total disaster for almost 2 years, mostly because of the inside stuff I hear, they just keep confirming it over and over.

I have written before, HBO should be king of this new streaming world we are in, but AT&T and now Discovery, have totally destroyed it.

Another article from yesterday-

A wave of furious analyst notes followed last week's downgrade of Standard & Poor's assessment of Warner Bros.'s $41 billion debt from stable to negative.

The primary issue that Zaslav faces, whereas Disney does not, is that the latter lacks truly mass-market content—a prerequisite for success in streaming, which is also necessary to counterbalance the loss in linear television.

In 2020, David Zaslav believed that Discovery's combination of sports and factual programming was the best course of action. He clarified that there were too many streaming services offering scripted content. Tens of millions of subscribers would be drawn to sports and real-life entertainment during the next two years, causing a shakeout.

Zaslav seems to have given up on his ambition to create an empire, as investors are now turning against him. The executive began talking about dissolving the business around the time he lost the NBA rights. He sold the Warner Bros. studio and the streaming service, awkwardly rebranded HBO Max to Max, and is soon to rebrand HBO once more. As a result, the company's debt would remain attached to its failing TV networks, a decision that Bank of America deemed potentially devastating.

So Max is going to be HBO once again?

Why are they taking a historically successful enterprise like HBO and f**king it all up?
Money and not enough of it.

I wrote here, when the decision was announced about MAX, that they would use the additional content of the Discovery owned channels, to use that and cut back on the original programming.

Then they started to kill programming for Tax Benefits, started selling programming to other services for basically pennies.

What has Netflix taught us, original programming and keep it behind one paywall……Netflix.

Which company has 277 Million Subscribers and makes Billions in profit.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Fleas arguing over a dog.
Netflix Profit first half of the year-Over $4.5 Billion, current stock price of $679.90

Warner/Discovery-losses over $11 Billion in the first half, current stock price of $7.60

Dish Network/Echostar-losses over $312 Million in the first half, current stock price of $18.30

I see two fleas here, definitely arguing over the one dog.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
More and more are coming to a understanding, that the majority of content from Traditional Paid Live TV/Channels, are on the streaming services like Paramount, Peacock, etc.

At a much less expensive price and better quality, along with a lot more new programming-

One of the questions cable TV executives often ask is how many cord cutters can they get to subscribe to a live TV streaming service like YouTube TV, Hulu, or Fubo. Now, thanks to a report from MoffettNathanson, we have an idea of how many subscriber who cancel cable TV switch to a live TV streaming service.

According to the report, just 29.2% of cord cutters select a live TV streaming service like YouTube TV to replace it. That means more than 70% of all new cord cutters go directly to an on-demand only service like Disney+, Peacock, or Paramount.

With the upcoming bigger then usual price increases from DirecTV and Dish Network next month, along with Comcast, Charter ( who have 2 a year the last 3 years), imagine the losses next year.

Replacing Dish Network Options?

Profiles starting to show up - DTVS