How things have changed

May last year-
IMG_1357.png

May 2024-

IMG_1354.jpeg

Cable ( all of Paid Live TV) lost another 2.9% in just a year.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
That is an interesting breakdown. It is hard for me to get my arms around the YouTube part - my first gut reaction was the increase was due to Sunday Ticket going to YouTube, but since it says YouTube Main, does that just mean people searching for videos and watching? Or would that include Sunday Ticket since it is an add-on, just like you could include purchasing a TV series you get through YouTube? The other piece I found interesting is how steady the paid subscriptions were but the free or ad-supported ones showed the most growth.

That is an interesting breakdown. It is hard for me to get my arms around the YouTube part - my first gut reaction was the increase was due to Sunday Ticket going to YouTube, but since it says YouTube Main, does that just mean people searching for videos and watching? Or would that include Sunday Ticket since it is an add-on, just like you could include purchasing a TV series you get through YouTube? The other piece I found interesting is how steady the paid subscriptions were but the free or ad-supported ones showed the most growth.
If you read the fine print in the first graphic, YTTV is not in with YT Main. Where it is isn't clear -- maybe cable or other? Interesting that Paramount+ went from nowhere on the graph to 1.2%.

That is an interesting breakdown. It is hard for me to get my arms around the YouTube part - my first gut reaction was the increase was due to Sunday Ticket going to YouTube, but since it says YouTube Main, does that just mean people searching for videos and watching?
Yes, YTTV is included in Cable ( all of Paid Live TV-Cable, Satellite, YTTV, Hulu Live, etc).
Or would that include Sunday Ticket since it is an add-on, just like you could include purchasing a TV series you get through YouTube?
ST is not in the numbers, if it was a separate service, they would break it down, as they did with other streaming services.
The other piece I found interesting is how steady the paid subscriptions were but the free or ad-supported ones showed the most growth.
Which is one of the reasons why Paid Live TV keeps dropping, since most of the content on ‘Cable’ is reruns, people have come to understand they can get that content for free.

Then the new content on Paid Live TV is also on the streaming services , plus all the exclusive streaming shows and new movies, for a extremely less expensive price.

May 2024-
IMG_1354.jpeg

Now June-
IMG_1361.png

Broadcast down another 1.8% ( either via Paid Live TV or Antenna)
Cable Channels another 1%
While Streaming Services ( not Live TV Services like YTTV) up 1.5%

This helps explains why Advertising is moving towards streaming.

I expect the Channels ( both Broadcast and Cable) to push for larger increases in per sub fees from Providers to make up the loss in Ad Revenue.

Just a few years ago, those in rural areas ( as I am), would have to pray and beg for broadband, now, with over 90% of the population having availability, things have changed.

Just received a letter, a new provider is finishing a dig this week in my area, will soon have fiber available ( letter says preorders begin Aug.1) , 2 gigabits down/up speed, if I sign up at first availability, $75 a month lifetime (of course, I do not believe that).

But still better than my current Charter service, 1 Gigabit down/40 up at $125 a month.

Love competition.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
must be nice not living in the land of broken windstream promises and getting screwed by Cox every month. I do have overpriced data capped fiber from Cox, but Windstream after a decade of promises still only provides 3Mbps DSL
I have the overpriced not capped service from Charter, or I can get Century Link at 3 down/1 up….yech.

But I do believe Charter/Spectrum is about to lower their prices in my area.

But even it a lot less, still switching, need the faster upload speed for work .

Charter made a massive mistake in delaying their upgrades till 2026.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
90% still seems high to me; what is the gov't defining as "broadband" these days?
Today, the FCC has changed its definition of “broadband” to mean download speeds of 100 megabits per second and upload speeds of 20 megabits per second. It had been stuck at 25Mbps/3Mbps since 2015. As recently as 2021, outgoing FCC chairman Ajit Pai claimed we still didn't need more than that.

I pay $79.99 per month to Spectrum for rated speeds of 300 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. Unfortunately this is my only realistic choice since I live in a rural area between Plain City and Marysville Ohio. Spectrum is always advertising internet at $49.99 per month but I don’t qualify since I am an existing customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay $79.99 per month to Spectrum for rated speeds of 300 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. Unfortunately this is my only realistic choice since I live in a rural area between Plain City and Marysville Ohio. Spectrum is always advertising internet at $49.99 per month but I don’t qualify since I am an existing customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So do I, BUT, I rarely get more than about 175/10. Spectrum's "internet only" price is robbery! IF you complain, their only answer is TOUGH, or "Do you want to cancel your account?"

There's no other choice for highspeed internet where I am, except for TDSTELECOM DSL. You think Spectrum sucks? You ain't seen nothing, unless you've been a customer of TDSTELECOM.

• Wow
Reactions: comfortably_numb
So do I, BUT, I rarely get more than about 175/10. Spectrum's "internet only" price is robbery! IF you complain, their only answer is TOUGH, or "Do you want to cancel your account?"

There's no other choice for highspeed internet where I am, except for TDSTELECOM DSL. You think Spectrum sucks? You ain't seen nothing, unless you've been a customer of TDSTELECOM.
What is your modems model # and brand?

Might be a time for a new one, that information would confirm or disprove that.

Replacing Dish Network Options?