How things have changed

I got my internet discount deal with Spectrum renewed for another year. I get 500mpbs speeds and no caps and it only costing me $62.40 a month with taxes included. It would be double that other wise. I could also have ATT fiber since it is installed out back of the house but I hate and detest ATT and all their fees and crap. They make DISH look good in comparison.
That is why you are able to get such a deal….competition.

Here, in a rural area, two choices, Spectrum at a $100 for Gigabit or Century Link at 3 down/1 up for $60 a month, who was the main provider here until Charter/Spectrum took the Government money and did the build out in 2017/18.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Spectrum here in NC never offered any discounts and charged me 79.98 for 300MBPS. I switched to ATT at the same speed for 55.26 a month all in. I have no additional fees.
Yeah, unless you sign up as a new customer here, Spectrum doesn't discount internet. Even with Gigabit AT&T and Google Fiber available at my address for $75 and $70 respectively, Spectrum is still insisting on charging $85 for 300Mb asymmetrical DOCSIS with higher latency and worse uptime.

Yeah, unless you sign up as a new customer here, Spectrum doesn't discount internet. Even with Gigabit AT&T and Google Fiber available at my address for $75 and $70 respectively, Spectrum is still insisting on charging $85 for 300Mb asymmetrical DOCSIS with higher latency and worse uptime.

I'd love to have Google Fiber. T-Mobile and Verizon 5G are available in a lot of locations and work great.

I got my internet discount deal with Spectrum renewed for another year. I get 500mpbs speeds and no caps and it only costing me $62.40 a month with taxes included. It would be double that other wise. I could also have ATT fiber since it is installed out back of the house but I hate and detest ATT and all their fees and crap. They make DISH look good in comparison.
I don't fault you for not liking ATT because they are historically exactly as you describe. The fiber product is pretty great though and I'd be remiss to advise you not to at least look into it. The fees on the fiber side are also much more transparent (somehow) and the speeds are 2x what you're getting now for approx the same cost. You're on a great deal right now, but I'd say if you get tired of playing the game with Spectrum, you should give ATT an honest look.

IMG_1346.jpeg

The promised land of FTTH, as was forecast back in the C-band days. Mine's from a local rural-areas provider and not google or att.

I don't fault you for not liking ATT because they are historically exactly as you describe. The fiber product is pretty great though and I'd be remiss to advise you not to at least look into it. The fees on the fiber side are also much more transparent (somehow) and the speeds are 2x what you're getting now for approx the same cost. You're on a great deal right now, but I'd say if you get tired of playing the game with Spectrum, you should give ATT an honest look.
AT&T really isn't AT&T anyway, this the SBC version of AT&T. Any large conglomerate is usually going to have issues. Except Google who knows well enough to give away free stuff like Google Earth so people aren't always in their face. AT&T's fiber service is pretty solid. Streaming is never an issue and when I'm downloading a device update for one of my Mom's devices at her home, I'm reminded how great it is at my home where 250 MB downloads are nothing. Nintendo Switch game download, 3 GB? Okay, that'll take a couple minutes. Easy peasy. And whenever I check around price wise, AT&T is the lowest cost at really the higher speed.

Reactions: thomasjk
AT&T really isn't AT&T anyway, this the SBC version of AT&T. Any large conglomerate is usually going to have issues. Except Google who knows well enough to give away free stuff like Google Earth so people aren't always in their face. AT&T's fiber service is pretty solid. Streaming is never an issue and when I'm downloading a device update for one of my Mom's devices at her home, I'm reminded how great it is at my home where 250 MB downloads are nothing. Nintendo Switch game download, 3 GB? Okay, that'll take a couple minutes. Easy peasy. And whenever I check around price wise, AT&T is the lowest cost at really the higher speed.
I understand what people mean about AT&T and their "crap." That said, that seems to describe every large company these days, so I try to focus on the best product at the best price and not worry too much about the crap since it is pretty much universal. As for Google, it is just a different kind of crap. I've lost count of how many services I've had cancelled on me by Google. I will probably switch to Google Fiber at some point, but I doubt it will result in a significantly different user experience from AT&T Fiber.

Reactions: djont57

Spectrum advertises $49.99 internet but that is only for new customers. I am an old customer so my cost is $79.99 per month for download speed of 200 Mbps and upload speed of 10 Mbps. Since I live in the country midway between Plain City and Marysville Ohio there is no competition. But this is still better than the dial up that I had for years.
Since I saved for retirement all my life my income is too high to qualify for the reduced cost internet. Of course it frustrates me that we subsidize everyone that never saved for retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it frustrates me that we subsidize everyone that never saved for retirement.
Not to sound too political, but the younger folks subsidize Social Security and Medicare for those that receive it now.

I did call recently and check on the Fiber deal and the guy was rushing through each part of his sales deal and asking me to verbally say ok to each thing. It sounded like a lot of legal mumbo jumbo and I asked him to slow down a bit and he kept adding things I would need to get wifi through out my house and I would need extenders at $10.00 each on top of the price of the internet package. He then said we are almost through all the sections he needed to get through, but I felt that it didn't feel right. I told him to cancel it. He tried another three times to get me to go with ATT but I told him not at this time. I have had good service with Spectrum and they are always willing to give me a deal for a year with a price lock. I have had Spectrum since 2008. But if I ever can't get a deal I will look into it again and see if it is any better.

Spectrum advertises $49.99 internet but that is only for new customers. I am an old customer so my cost is $79.99 per month for download speed of 200 Mbps and upload speed of 10 Mbps. Since I live in the country midway between Plain City and Marysville Ohio there is no competition. But this is still better than the dial up that I had for years.
Since I saved for retirement all my life my income is too high to qualify for the reduced cost internet. Of course it frustrates me that we subsidize everyone that never saved for retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look at it this way. You are lucky enough to have saved all your life, so you don't need any help to pay for your internet. Counting your blessings. It's all the way you look at it. I don't worry about other people and what they can or can't afford. There will always be the poor according to the Bible. There will always be those in the government or in the world, who want to give them help in life. I would rather be like those people and help others who need it, than be a envious person when I meet my maker. :)

I did call recently and check on the Fiber deal and the guy was rushing through each part of his sales deal and asking me to verbally say ok to each thing. It sounded like a lot of legal mumbo jumbo and I asked him to slow down a bit and he kept adding things I would need to get wifi through out my house and I would need extenders at $10.00 each on top of the price of the internet package. He then said we are almost through all the sections he needed to get through, but I felt that it didn't feel right. I told him to cancel it. He tried another three times to get me to go with ATT but I told him not at this time. I have had good service with Spectrum and they are always willing to give me a deal for a year with a price lock. I have had Spectrum since 2008. But if I ever can't get a deal I will look into it again and see if it is any better.
I switched to AT&T online and picked out exactly what I needed. I already had a mesh system for the house. When the technician came out he used my Deco mesh router. Absolutely seamless. I also got $150 Amazon gift card which arrived about 2 weeks later.
No need to listen to some sales person on the phone.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Look at it this way. You are lucky enough to have saved all your life, so you don't need any help to pay for your internet. Counting your blessings. It's all the way you look at it. I don't worry about other people and what they can or can't afford. There will always be the poor according to the Bible. There will always be those in the government or in the world, who want to give them help in life. I would rather be like those people and help others who need it, than be a envious person when I meet my maker. :)
I find it rather weird how the society seems keen & quick to give special deals & discounts specifically to "seniors"- these are the people who by & large have the money in this country to begin with. Shouldn't it be the youth, struggling to launch, who would be better beneficiaries?

checking out Hulu. Comments?

Youtube TV sub losses