How smart is the recorder when taping shows?

Bobnine

Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
I just signed up a couple of weeks ago and don't have a lot of experience using the DVR-522 yet. I was wondering how it records sporting events where a majority of them run past the given time period. Does the system know or make adjustments to record the entire game or does it stop recording when it gets to the end of its programmed time range. Likewise, if a football game runs late and I want to record what follows, does it account for that?

So far I am very pleased with this system. I hope there are a lot more undiscovered things that will make it even better.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bob

I've been using DVRs for about 2 years now and none of them are smart enough to continue recording a sport event that runs into overtime. All of them go by the guide schedule for start and stop times.

But there is a saving grace. When you schedule a sporting event to record extend the stop time by at least 30 mins and in most cases you will be covered. I've been recording Nascar races this way and have yet to have one get cut off before I get to see the winning driver in victory circle. I don't record football games so I'm not positive a 30 minute extended stop time is enough or not.

Actually since the 522 is not a name based DVR it only records the time slot you alocate no matter what is being shown basicly a hard drive based VCR no intelligence at all.

Here's a hint if its already recording and you forgot to pad the end. You can't change the padding in an event that's recording.. Just record the next show. You will get the end of your race (Formula One in my case :D) in another file.

What Wishbone said. I do that all the time - especially because my HDD is usally so full that I segment the event on-the-fly (during commercials) so I can speed-watch it and delete it as I go along. Sounds strange, but it works for me. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
What Wishbone said. I do that all the time - especially because my HDD is usally so full that I segment the event on-the-fly (during commercials) so I can speed-watch it and delete it as I go along. Sounds strange, but it works for me. ;)

Heh I give the races about a 30-40 min head start on recording and then use the skip button to get through commercials. Works like a charm. I usually get down to the last few laps of a race before I'm on live tv. :)

RedHat39 said:
Heh I give the races about a 30-40 min head start on recording and then use the skip button to get through commercials. Works like a charm. I usually get down to the last few laps of a race before I'm on live tv. :)
I do that if I wake up late. My races are on at 4:30 in the moning :eek: . I prefer to do it live, since I follow the live timing and scoring on the web and chat with other F1 fans at the same time.. I made the mistake once of pulling up the live timing when watching the replay later that night.. Told me who won ahead of time.... :rolleyes:

DVR History?

When will the 522 be available to existing customers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)