How often should receiver retrieve sat. info?

JimBanville

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
It seems like the 311 receiver in my bedroom throws up the "retrieving info from sat." screen at least once every couple of days. How often should I get this message?

the 311 has a 46 hour guide, so that would be right

best thing to do is to put it in standby (turn it off). The guiide ould dowload at night :)

JimBanville said:
It seems like the 311 receiver in my bedroom throws up the "retrieving info from sat." screen at least once every couple of days. How often should I get this message?

Every couple of days. :D Seriously, the guide in these boxes is 46 hrs max so your update frequency is about right on. If you want a nice 8+ day search-able guide, upgrade to a DVR (501, 508, 510, 721).

NightRyder

What iceberg said.

Ya gotta put the box into "stand-by" (also known as "power off") often - like whenever you're not using it - duh. It can only download software updates when it's in stand-by.

Thanks! We leave all 4 of our 311's on all the time, but it seems that the one in our bedroom downloads info more often than the others.

justalurker said:
I turn off the power strip every night and yet I still don't get the downloads. ;)

I wonder how many CSRs have heard that line? :eek:

JL

The question is, how many CSRs know that a full power off will not allow a download. You have to go into standby......

maximum said:
If you have a dual tuner receiver do both tuners need to be in standby to get updates?
Yes.

<filler because the program won't let me say just "Yes" - it's too short. I guess this is enough typing to make the software happy now and accept my attempt at a simple answer.>

What if the dual tuner has one tuner recording, would the other receive the updates? I thought one tuner was supposed to receive the updates while you were watching tv on the other one (I thought I heard this about the 721 a few years back).

My 921 doesn't seem to even downlaod an update when a tuner is in use.

But in no way can any of these boxes boot the new software unless the whole box is in stand-by.

SimpleSimon said:
Yes.

<filler because the program won't let me say just "Yes" - it's too short. I guess this is enough typing to make the software happy now and accept my attempt at a simple answer.>

Dont you just LOVE forum software that prohibits you from entering one liner responses?????? :p

SimpleSimon said:
Originally Posted by maximum
If you have a dual tuner receiver do both tuners need to be in standby to get updates?​
Yes.

Really ?

Dishwire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)