How hot does a DPH42 switch get?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I installed a DPH42, (with its requisite power inserter to the correct port) a few days ago and was checking on it this morning. It's almost hot enough to burn my hand if I press against the front of it. Is that normal?

I installed a DPH42, (with its requisite power inserter to the correct port) a few days ago and was checking on it this morning. It's almost hot enough to burn my hand if I press against the front of it. Is that normal?
Is your DPH42 switch outside in the sun? I just checked my DPH42 switch that is connected to two Hopper 3s in my basement. It is just slightly warm to the touch.

Reactions: TheKrell and Pepper
Is your DPH42 switch outside in the sun? I just checked my DPH42 switch that is connected to two Hopper 3s in my basement. It is just slightly warm to the touch.
It is, but it's not permanently mounted yet.

I did notice it is considerably smaller and less designed for heat dissipation than the old DPP44 I had out there a few years ago (pre-hopper).

I was thinking of mounting on the inner side of the rails on the back porch, instead of on the outward facing wall underneath where it is now. That should at least eliminate the direct sun, though it still gets quite hot around here. Wish I had a basement or other inner space convenient for all the cable runs.

It is, but it's not permanently mounted yet.

I was thinking of mounting on the inner side of the rails on the back porch, instead of on the outward facing wall underneath where it is now. That should at least eliminate the direct sun, though it still gets quite hot around here. Wish I had a basement or other inner space convenient for all the cable runs.
There are lots of switches mounted outside in the sun and they work great.

Put a piece of metal next to it and check both the switch and the piece of metal the next day. If they are roughly same temperature then it's nothing to worry about.

It does sound normal though. I've had switches outside abd in attics that during summer are super hot and never any issues.

Mine is warm/hot to the touch too. It's been that way ever since I installed it a few years ago and seems to be working fine. I have mine attached to a board in the basement.

If you have or can get even a cheap IR thermometer, get one and check the temp for actual numbers. With this, you can also check comparable surfaces to see how they are.

Last edited:

Adding second hopper w sling

NASA TV shutting down this August