Hopper3 HDD swap

bogieman1958

Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
Lamar,SC
Set up is a Hopper3 and Joey 2.0, both are purchased units (in 2017). Have given great service, but the Hopper is starting to get a little glitchy when viewing and/or fast forwarding through recordings. Also, accessing recordings through the Joey gets buggy at times. Haven't found any recent info on replacing the internal HDD. Can it still be done? and if so what procedure is required?

I'm one of those odd guys that like to own and install my own stuff. Does Dish still let you install your own stuff?

Thanks

When I was using Dish, I had a couple of hard drive failures. The net of it, for me, was that the Seagate ST2000VM003 was the only drive that the H3 would recognize, per this thread:

Maybe they've changed the firmware by now to recognize additional drives, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I did the replace twice. It's just a couple of screws, pull off the cover, take out the drive caddy, and replace. An easy fix. When you boot back up, the new drive is recognized and formatted.

I just got a purchased hopper 3 replaced from Dish by just paying $15 shipping charge. The house power went on and off a few times and damaged the board on the Hopper 3. Unit has a Toshiba hard drive with a manufacture date of 7 2013. Hard drive still functions fine but the Hopper 3 outputs no HDMI video outside of Hopper 3 starting up Logo. The replacement Hopper 3 shows up as purchased on my account. I am thinking about removing the hard drive and pulling the contents off since it was about full. I might just install it in the replacement Hopper so I can just move the content to an external drive.

New HiSense Tv pleasant surprise

Dish 4K Event Listings (No Discussion)