Hopper 3 with International (118) in 2024

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Hi guys,

I've been busy with other things for several years and just getting back into the satellite hobby while I look for a new job. The latest info I have found on this subject seems to be 8 years or more old. So I figured I would ask, if a Hopper 3 user with a WA Hybrid 1k2 triple (119,110,nothing) decides to add International channels that exist only on 118, what would Dish typically install to support this?

Based on what I think I know, I see three possibilities:
1. Add an original style Dish500+ with the combo 119/118 with two outputs, 118 attached to the input on the existing Hybrid LNBF - I think that part is discontinued and very hard to find, there's currently a guy on ebay that wants $800+ for one as a "superdish repoint kit"
2. Replace it all with a new style Dish500+ which has 119/118/110 all in one unit with three outputs; feed these to a DPH42 then the single line to the Hopper.
3. Add the new style Dish500+ and connect one of its outputs to the input on the existing Hybrid LNBF - I've not yet found any evidence that this is workable.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi guys,

I've been busy with other things for several years and just getting back into the satellite hobby while I look for a new job. The latest info I have found on this subject seems to be 8 years or more old. So I figured I would ask, if a Hopper 3 user with a WA Hybrid 1k2 triple (119,110,nothing) decides to add International channels that exist only on 118, what would Dish typically install to support this?

1. Add an original style Dish500+ with the combo 119/118 with two outputs, 118 attached to the input on the existing Hybrid LNBF - I think that part is discontinued and very hard to find, there's currently a guy on ebay that wants $800+ for one as a "superdish repoint kit"
2. Replace it all with a new style Dish500+ which has 119/118/110 all in one unit with three outputs; feed these to a DPH42 then the single line to the Hopper.
3. Add the new style Dish500+ and connect one of its outputs to the input on the existing Hybrid LNBF - I've not yet found any evidence that this is workable.

Not sure what they install now days. I have a 1000+ WA dish with old LNBs that feed a DPH42 switch that feeds two Hopper 3s.

Attachments

• 20240722_153720.jpg
    20240722_153720.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: Pepper
I've done some experiments with option 3 with a new-style 500+ LNBF I obtained recently, got it attached to the end of my old SuperDish that I never took down back in the day. It's sitting right next to my 1000.2 with the Hybrid triplet and pointed in the same direction. Port 3 of the 500+ to the input on the Hybrid, ran check switch and it found nothing. Enabled "alternate" and ran it again, this time it appeared to work and there was a Polish channel TVPI in the guide (something in freeview mode?) but when I tried to go to it I got a no signal error and it didn't work anymore despite several repeated check switch.

Next step is to see if I can verify this 500+ actually works with a non-hybrid receiver; then probably look for a DPH42 and try option 2; in the meantime if somebody recognizes an error in the above I sure would appreciate it being pointed out.

charlesrshell - don't think I've ever seen 100 signal on WA before!

I've done some experiments with option 3 with a new-style 500+ LNBF I obtained recently, got it attached to the end of my old SuperDish that I never took down back in the day. It's sitting right next to my 1000.2 with the Hybrid triplet and pointed in the same direction. Port 3 of the 500+ to the input on the Hybrid, ran check switch and it found nothing. Enabled "alternate" and ran it again, this time it appeared to work and there was a Polish channel TVPI in the guide (something in freeview mode?) but when I tried to go to it I got a no signal error and it didn't work anymore despite several repeated check switch.

Next step is to see if I can verify this 500+ actually works with a non-hybrid receiver; then probably look for a DPH42 and try option 2; in the meantime if somebody recognizes an error in the above I sure would appreciate it being pointed out.

charlesrshell - don't think I've ever seen 100 signal on WA before!
I was surprised too.

Hi guys,

No, DPP500+ with three lines to a 42 Switch.

How the heck did you attach the new WA LNB to a Super Dish feed arm when it's designed to fit not just the way it attaches, but use the shorter length of the 500 Dish feed arm??

I was surprised too.
OK I think I know what it was, in the picture you posted, there is no satellite or transponder selected and the meter shows 100. I think this happens if you're watching an OTA channel when you launch into the diagnostic screen. As soon as you get it to populate both of those it gives accurate readings.

What no duct tape?? Everything can be fixed with duct tape don't you know. :bigok
Too much stickiness for my liking.

Here's an update on the project which I'm now calling complete.

The final configuration ended up being the one with the zip-ties. The D500+ LNB assembly I had turned out to be defective, ports 1 and 2 were fried. It worked fine with a Wally attached to port 3 but not the other ports. So I got a good one of those and the DPH42. Ports 1, 2 and 3 of the LNBF assembly to inputs 1, 2 and 3 on the DPH42, and the power inserter between the hopper and the cable going to output 1 of the DPH42. Wally to output 2 of DPH42. All is working well now and after tweaking the aim a little bit, about 10 points higher on the STB signal meters than when it was the DPH triple on the 1000.2.

Lastly, I decided to get creative. First I cleaned all the dust and bird droppings off the old badly faded superdish. I sprayed a new coat of paint, then found the new dish logo on their website, converted it to SVG and used the Brother Scan-n-Cut to make a marine vinyl sticker. If you look closely, the zip-ties are still there -- I have drilled a hole for more permanent mounting but need to find a proper sized bolt to fit.

I also took the opportunity to dig up all the old decrepit cabling and replace it, along with some new stuff for the FTA dishes which are finally getting some attention after a few years of me being too busy for anything but work. I had forgotten how much I enjoy tinkering with this stuff.

20240810_214959017_iOS.jpg
20240810_215102623_iOS.jpg

I'm the one with 118 from the 8 year old threads which should be 2016 as seen in this one:

and I have a Hybrid Triple WA.2 switch, not sure what exact model that is.

So everyone else's information should be up to date on the correct configuration...

Purchases start immediately

Dish outage at aprox 7:05 (PDT)