Hoopla about whole house DVR

I wonder if even a majority of Dish subs have HD? Much less a DVR, or even wonder about HD DVRs MRV. This is a board filled with enthusiasts. Not your typical Dish customer. There are still a lot of DVR customers that just watch what is on TV and do not try to timeshift or record regular programming.

I wonder even with a service like U-Verse where everyone gets a whole home DVR with the system, what percent of the customers use the DVR features and what percent have even tried the whole home feature?

I'm sure when Western Arc goes mpeg-4, they'll consolidate to 1 or 2 DVRs. That will probably happen when the XIPs come out or even after that and by then the 813 will probably be the only DVR that Dish will offer.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Your article is from November 2010 - mine is from May 2010, and my number is bigger. HA!

HDTV penetration reaches 65% | Washington Business Journal

HDTV penetration reaches 65%
Washington Business Journal - by Jeff Clabaugh
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 11:32am EDT
Related: Media & Marketing

Two-thirds of U.S. households now own a high-definition television, and more Americans plan to buy one in the coming months, according to a report from the Consumer Electronics Association.
The Arlington-based group says video products continue to be the top consumer electronics device U.S. consumers own, with 65 percent of U.S. homes now owning at least one HDTV set, up 13 percent from a year ago. Consumers are also buying HDTVs as secondary sets. The average household now has 1.8 high-definition televisions, up from 1.5 percent a year ago.
The study also says 23 percent of Americans plan to buy an HDTV in the next 12 months.
“A drop in price, widespread availability of HD content and successful completion of the digital television transition last year have all led to an increased ownership rate for HDTV’s,” said Brian Markwalter, vice president of research and standards.

Read more: HDTV penetration reaches 65% | Washington Business Journal HDTV penetration reaches 65% | Washington Business Journal

Since we're talking about the masses... Hell the masses don't have DVRs and they're just now getting HD...

And did you even READ the article you posted, or just the headline?

"Forget all of that hype about 3DTV, a new study by Nielsen notes that 80% of TV viewing continues to be in standard definition. Nielsen notes that some of this is explained away by multi-set homes where there's an HDTV in the living room, but standard definition TV in the kids' or adults' bedrooms."

Last edited:

Since we're talking about the masses... Hell the masses don't have DVRs and they're just now getting HD...

Oh, and how about this one? I'm sure you'll be able to find a report that says something different. But even so.......glad my head is out and about instead of in a hole.

TVB | DVR Penetration Reaches 40 Percent

DVR Penetration Reaches 40 Percent
September 30, 2010

DURHAM, N.H.: Around 40 percent of U.S. households now have at least one digital video recording device, according to the latest consumer research from Leichtman Research Group. The figure represents an increase from just 8 percent five years ago.

The broadcast networks took note of the use of DVRs during the first week of the new fall season, according to The New York Times. Viewership in some cases increased by 15 to 20 percent when time-shifted viewing was factored in.

Leichtman’s survey yielded additional information about DVR households. One-third of them had more than one of the devices. DVR households made around 34 percent more money (the mean) than households without DVRs.

The use of video-on-demand is on the rise as well. Leichtman said 64 percent of all digital cable subscribers have used VOD, and of those, 83 percent within the last month of being queried. I.e., more than half of all digital cable subs tapped into VOD. Five years ago, just 50 percent had used it even once.

Leichtman took a look at Netflix users; 87 percent subscribed to pay TV service, and 34 percent to a premium service. Within the previous month, 60 percent used the “Watch Instantly” Netflix feature by which a movie is downloaded for immediate viewing. Two percent did so daily; 6 percent, weekly.

Leichtman’s findings were based on a phone survey of 1,300 U.S. households in July and August for it’s ninth annual study on VOD and DVRs. Statistical margin of error was +/- 2.7 percent.

“DVR and VOD users have significantly increased over the past five years, yet over 90 percent of all TV viewing in the U.S. is still of live TV,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group. “LRG forecasts that DVR and VOD’s share of total TV viewing time in the U.S. will increase from less than 10 percent today to about 22 percent by the end of 2015.”

The masses want to be able to press a button and get have access to all their recordings without investing in an EHD--they don't even know what the is--and mess about bending down to plug the EHD to archive, wait several minutes, then bend down again to disconnect, then go to the other room, bend down again, connect it, etc., and they don't even have the "techie" skills to do just those seemingly simple steps. The masses aren't going for the archived route.

The XiP 813 is exactly what the techie challenged masses have been waiting for. The installer install the boxes and thin client and THAT's IT! Now they have 3 tuners on the network and all the content in HD from any TV connected to the thin client with ALL trick play and PIP (confirmed by Scott). Want more tuners? Another 813 can be installed to easily and seamlessly connect to the network and now one has 6 tuners on the network accessible from all the TV's and all content on the 2nd 813 is also on the network. All Joe Blow has to do is press a few buttons on his remote that any monkey can do and no overwhelming complexity to people who haven't a clue what to do with an external HDD. It is an elegant situation that I think is going to be the biggest things since Dish introduced it's DVR's and for the very same reason of simplicity and elegance and NO TECH knowledge required.

Would you PLEASE define "thin client" in plain English.....
Thank you in advance

You would think that almost everyone has a DVR but Dish said only 30 some percent of it's customers have a DVR. I was very surprised.

Heck there are people who still have "12:00" blinking on their VCR.
About 5 years ago, I hooked up a 522 and 322 in this woman's house. She went bezaerk because she could not figure out how to keep recording her Soap on the VCR that she INSISTED I connect to the tv where the 522 was located.
I attempted in vain to show her and have her understand that she no longer needed the old tape thing to record her programs. She just didn't buy it. I went so far as to set up recording schedules for the three programs she WATCHED each day...Why did I capitalize "watched"?.....Because even though she watched all three Soaps LIVE, she still recorded them. Ok I guess that's not too far out in left field. I started showing her how to pause live tv and I stopped, realizing this was an exercise in futility.
I think ther other main reason why people do not have DVR's is due to the excessive fees on the second one and beyond

Your article is from November 2010 - mine is from May 2010, and my number is bigger. HA!

HDTV penetration reaches 65% | Washington Business Journal

Wow bro, how about you learn how to interpret the English language before you claim victory.

From my article ( 80% Of TV Viewing Still In Standard Definition - 44% Of homes still lack HD set or HD service | DSLReports.com, ISP Information ):

Still, 44 percent of homes either do not have an HD set or an HD service, and even among those who do have an HD set, about 20 percent of viewing is through non-HD feeds.
Hence, my claim that:

they're just now getting HD...
Your article is talking about HDTV penetration. Not HD SUBSCRIPTIONS and HD VIEWING... What good is an HDTV without HD services or HD programming?

Nowhere did I state "they're just now getting HDTVs." Lrn2read.

I see by your edit tag that you spent 24 minutes attempting to counter my claim, yet your major failure point was in your ability to read. No matter how long you looked, you still couldn't read. I guess you need a stronger telescope from whatever planet you're on...

Even in your futile attempt to refute my own argument with my own article, it was a massive failure as I never claimed that people don't own HDTVs. Also, the way things are currently, DISH has the whole:

Nielsen notes that some of this is explained away by multi-set homes where there's an HDTV in the living room, but standard definition TV in the kids' or adults' bedrooms
thing covered anyway... You know... Dual-tuners...

Oh, and how about this one? I'm sure you'll be able to find a report that says something different. But even so.......glad my head is out and about instead of in a hole.

DVR Penetration Reaches 40 Percent

Nice double-post. Did you think that would make you seem smarter or something? Again, your inability to interpret the English language has come back to haunt you. Quoting again what I said:

Alright. So let's just teach you what the phrase "the masses" means, as you obviously failed an English course somewhere along the line, or perhaps you're just a slow learner.

masses - definition of masses by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Definition 5:

5. The principal part; the majority: "the mass of the continent."
So there we go. We now see that your "victory" was indeed a loss as last I heard 40 percent would not be the majority. Do you need me to define the word "majority" for you as well?

Thanks for playing.

P.S. Greetings from Earth...

Heck there are people who still have "12:00" blinking on their VCR.
About 5 years ago, I hooked up a 522 and 322 in this woman's house. She went bezaerk because she could not figure out how to keep recording her Soap on the VCR that she INSISTED I connect to the tv where the 522 was located.
I attempted in vain to show her and have her understand that she no longer needed the old tape thing to record her programs. She just didn't buy it. I went so far as to set up recording schedules for the three programs she WATCHED each day...Why did I capitalize "watched"?.....Because even though she watched all three Soaps LIVE, she still recorded them. Ok I guess that's not too far out in left field. I started showing her how to pause live tv and I stopped, realizing this was an exercise in futility.
I think ther other main reason why people do not have DVR's is due to the excessive fees on the second one and beyond

In DISH's case they actually stalled DVR penetration due to their outrageous additional receiver fees after the first. So even if a sub wanted a dual tuner dvr on 2 or 3 tvs in their house , they won't get one due to the $17.00 additional receiver fee tacked on: $17.00x2= $34.00 for two extra dvrs. Unlike DIRECTV where it only cost you a standard $6.00 or $7.00 additional receiver fee per receiver, REGARDLESS if it is a dvr or not. I 'm betting that more of their subs have dvrs than DISH, because of this customer friendly additional receiver fees.

Your figures are not really a good comparison. Yes, a dual output DVR has a $17 fee, but the dual-tuner 612 is only $10 and is more of a direct comparison to the HR series than is the dual output 622/722/722k units. So in your example, it would be 2x$10 or $20 vice $12 at D* for the same functionality unless MRV is involved, which would make it $12+$3=$15.

We'll have to wait and see how E* prices the new unit to make comparisons then.

DVR penetration is making progress because new customers get one. Cable companies pretty much give you an HD DVR if you want HD. Dish and DIRECTV come with an HD DVR by default, Uverse and FIOS the same. But, just because they are sticking them in every household does not mean they are getting used for their DVR functionality.

Your figures are not really a good comparison. Yes, a dual output DVR has a $17 fee, but the dual-tuner 612 is only $10 and is more of a direct comparison to the HR series than is the dual output 622/722/722k units. So in your example, it would be 2x$10 or $20 vice $12 at D* for the same functionality unless MRV is involved, which would make it $12+$3=$15.

Aside the figures , the POINT was that most people will not add a second or third dual tune dvr ,LIKE the 722/722k , due to the high additional receiver cost of $17.00 PER Additional receiver cost. Some people do not even want dvr due to the dvr FEE at $6.00 per account. Before the last year or two DISH was charging a DVR fee PER DVR on your account making it even harder for people to want a dvr or a 2nd or 3rd on their account. So DISH has slowed their own dvr penetration for their subs due to their ever growing GREED. There was a time when DISH touted NO DVR FEES at all as their campaign . That was when DISH introduced the 501/508/721 Pvrs . That was also when DISH added more subs , faster than ever before. Their advertising campaign even cause DIRECTV to lower their dvr fee down from $9.99 a month to around $5.00 . So the Extra fees DISH has attached to their dvrs and accounts in the way of additional receiver fees has slowed dvr penetration for their company.

Don't forget that the 211 can be turned into a pseudo-DVR with no DVR fee and $7 a month. $40 activation fee though. Regardless, I agree, the fees are too high.

DVR penetration is making progress because new customers get one. Cable companies pretty much give you an HD DVR if you want HD. Dish and DIRECTV come with an HD DVR by default, Uverse and FIOS the same. But, just because they are sticking them in every household does not mean they are getting used for their DVR functionality.

Yeah, for example, in this article:

They claim 40% DVR penetration, yet they state that less than ten percent of TV viewing is DVR/VoD, and over 90% is live TV. So that makes for only approximately 25% of DVRs out there actually being used for their DVR functions. Even less if we knew the VoD figures.

Don't forget that the 211 can be turned into a pseudo-DVR with no DVR fee and $7 a month. $40 activation fee though. Regardless, I agree, the fees are too high.

Yeah, for example, in this article:

They claim 40% DVR penetration, yet they state that less than ten percent of TV viewing is DVR/VoD, and over 90% is live TV. So that makes for only approximately 25% of DVRs out there actually being used for their DVR functions. Even less if we knew the VoD figures.

That isn't what it says at all. It says "viewing time", not what percentage use the DVR. A little reading comprehension is needed.

EXAMPLE-
100% percent of the population could have DVR's and use them to record shows, 10% of the time they use them to watch recorded TV, and the other 90% of the time they watch TV live. That still results in 100% of the population owning and using DVR's. Do you understand, now?

And while we're back on this......

US Census 2010 estimate: 114,825,428 households in US

40% of 114,825,428 households have DVR's. That sure seems like the masses to me. Of course, interpretations may vary.

Last edited:
That isn't what it says at all. It says "viewing time", not what percentage use the DVR. Back to reading comprehension 101 for you.

EXAMPLE-
100% percent of the population could have DVR's and use them to record shows, 10% of the time they use them to watch recorded TV, and the other 90% of the time they watch TV live. That still results in 100% of the population owning and using DVR's. Do you understand yet?

And while we're back on this......

US Census 2010 estimate: 114,825,428 households in US

40% of 114,825,428 households have DVR's. That sure seems like the masses to me. Of course, interpretations may vary.

So you consider "using" a DVR as watching live TV? Try again.

Again, as I said in the PM, you're pretty ignorant if you think that 114,825,428 households have TVs, and that a phone survey of 1300 households is an exact representation of 114,825,428 households.

Next?

So you consider "using" a DVR as watching live TV? Try again.

Again, as I said in the PM, you're pretty ignorant if you think that 114,825,428 households have TVs, and that a phone survey of 1300 households is an exact representation of 114,825,428 households.

Next?

I never said that. Using my example, if every person that owns a DVR records one show and watches it, that is 100% usage. It has nothing do with how they use that DVR to watch TV.

Nowhere in the article does it state that all those households have TV's. It is only stating that 40% of those households have DVR's. Reading comprehension. Interpreting statistics.

Also, small, sample surveys are done all the time to determine opinions, viewership, product ownership, and for a multitude of other reasons. It is not an exact representation, or science, and there is usually a small percentage of error built in. But, it is generally accepted as a way of determing larger numbers. Again, statistics.

I never said that. Using my example, if every person that owns a DVR records one show and watches it, that is 100% usage. It has nothing do with how they use that DVR to watch TV.

Nowhere in the article does it state that all those households have TV's. It is only stating that 40% of those households have DVR's. Reading comprehension. Interpreting statistics.

Also, small, sample surveys are done all the time to determine opinions, viewership, product ownership, and for a multitude of other reasons. It is not an exact representation, or science, and there is usually a small percentage of error built in. But, it is generally accepted as a way of determing larger numbers. Again, statistics.

100% usage 25% of the time. Still accounts for less than 10% of total viewing time, no matter which way you put it.

Yeah, 40% have DVRs with no TVs. Good one. SMALL surveys don't represent HUGE proportions of households. There's just no way you can claim that the survey is representative of 115 million households. That very same phone survey could be taken again with another 1300 households, and the statistics could vary wildly.

Are LNBs fragile?

Dish Network repositioning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)