Home protection plan & 622 & hard drive

epauladams

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
I'm afraid my 622 took a lightning strike today, haven't checked it out good yet, but the receiver seemed to be running , just no picture out of hdmi or component. I did not have time to check the coax at noon, but will tonight.

My question is: Has anyone sucessfully removed a hard drive and moved it to a replacement 622? Or are they married in some way. I would hate to lose my recordings.

Thanks for a great site

I'm afraid my 622 took a lightning strike today, haven't checked it out good yet, but the receiver seemed to be running , just no picture out of hdmi or component. I did not have time to check the coax at noon, but will tonight.

My question is: Has anyone sucessfully removed a hard drive and moved it to a replacement 622? Or are they married in some way. I would hate to lose my recordings.

Thanks for a great site

What does the home protection plan have anything to do with this? You can't remove hard drives, you will void the warranty if you open the 622 and end up paying full price. If the 622 needs replaced however, then DHPP will come in handy as it is free to replace the receiver.

DHPP doesn't cover Acts of God...you should know that.

Epauladams,

Yes, it can be done, but no you shouldn't do it. The hardware perspective would allow for it but if you return a receiver missing its hard drive to DISH or swap it for another it would be considered voided warranty. Not because you opened the case, but because you returned it missing components. The equipment itself isn't married in the receiver/smartcard sense, but it is coded and tracked.

if you plan on using the DHPP, do NOT tell the csr that the receiver was hit by lightning... as previously mentioned, Acts of God are not covered

Thanks for the answers, for what it is worth I did not try to swap hard drives. It's a shame that I lost all of those recordings but oh well. Dish did not question my lightning strike. I assume DHPP by covering surges covered this as well. The strike went to ground through my LAN which I had hooked up in antipicipation of the activation of networking. The receiver is replaced and (whew) is working flawlessly.

Pretty amazing the damage lightning can do. It destroyed my UHF antenna, blew up my pre-amplifier/ amplifier, rotor and rotor control, two monitor fuses, printer fuse, dsl modem, router and the dish receiver and also two of those fail type surge supressors. Oh , also sparks from the rotor control caught a matress on fire, we had to drag the dang thing outside and soak it with water to put it out.

And you will be still finding things for months to come :(.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Got hit about 5 years ago through the phone line. Turned in a microwave and phones to the insurance company. About 20 days later the fridge quit working.

I have pretty much re-wired the house since then and have my television/receiver on one circuit and my computers on another circuit. Both of these circuit breakers tripped so MAYBE the other circuits were protected.

dish hdmi cable

Pay Per View Craziness on new HDDVR receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts