Help w/ HD Dishnetwork recievers

mrbluehead

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Here is the issue, I'm trying to find out some info for someone who just bought a new HDTV. They have Dishnetwork and own two 508, they bought these about 2years ago.

They want to get a new dual dishnetwork hd-dvr, can't remember the number. I have seen ads for free HD upgrade but I'm not sure if the qualify because they own the 508s.

What is the best route, and about how much do you think it will cost. They are willing to move back to Direct if the price is right and they can get the dual HD-DVR.

Thanks for any advice.

They can get the new 942 DVR for $699 (no lease for existing subs), or the 811 non/DVR for free with a $5/mo lease. Provided they haven't used the Dish'n it Up promotion for over 1 year.

About $700 for the 942
$550 for the 921 and $400 for the 811.
Might be able to lease (ask dish if you qualify).

DVRs have $5/mo PVR fee unless you subscribe to EverythingPak
The 942 has additional $5/mo dual tuner fee unless you keep phone line connected.
DVRs require two lines fron dish to receiver (plus one line from OTA antenna)
$10/mo for HD-Pak should also get $60 credit for that year.
Must have TV antenna to get (free) OTA locals digital stations (which includes HD locals) else $6/mo for analog (SD) feeds and guide info from dish.
Installation is usually free (but confirm).

DVR's do not require two lines from dish to receiver.
Twin tuners USED TO require two lines, but not anymore with a DP-plus lnbf and a $3.50 seperator.

Fredinva said:
DVR's do not require two lines from dish to receiver.
Twin tuners USED TO require two lines, but not anymore with a DP-plus lnbf and a $3.50 seperator.
According to dish the separator only works with DPP44 switch and that cost another $200 and requires all DP series LNBs. Wasn't sure what setup that person had so I didn't recommend that method.

mdonnelly said:
The separator works with a DishPro Plus Twin LNBF. No external switch is required. The key is the Plus.
So there are "legacy", "dishpro" and now new "dishpro plus" LNBs? I have superdish 121 with DP34 and believe it just has dishpro series LNB but I will verify.
What does the plus series offer that the non-plus doesn't?

jergenf said:
So there are "legacy", "dishpro" and now new "dishpro plus" LNBs? I have superdish 121 with DP34 and believe it just has dishpro series LNB but I will verify.
What does the plus series offer that the non-plus doesn't?
Just that, the ability to run one cable from the switch (integrated into the DPP Twin and the DPP44) to the separator, where it goes to two tuners.

DPPlus also allows Legacy receivers to be used without a DP Adapter. Some restrictions apply.

Also, jergenf, a DPP44 does NOT cost $200, and StupiDishes are DishPro.

Maybe you need to be reading a bit more here. ;)

bummed

Type 1 vs Type 2 Superdish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)