Help Please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tylerbonezjonez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So I got onto my directv account today and found out I can upgrade to an HD DVR free of cost my question is will it work with the current setup that i have? I currently have an R22-200 right now. I noticed at check out the option to send the DVR to me with either professional installation or self instal. This is why im asking since it gave me those 2 options. Also what other extra charges will I incur on my monthly bill? I know the DVR fee will be on there (as it is already since i currently have a DVR.) Any help would be much appreciated.

The dvr fee is per account, so it will remain at $7, but you will pay an extra $6 for the additional dvr like you would for any extra box.

The dvr fee is per account, so it will remain at $7, but you will pay an extra $6 for the additional dvr like you would for any extra box.

Well the current box I have right now (the R22) I will be sending back to DirecTV when or if I get the hd dvr... will I have to pay 10 extra dollars for the HD access? and will I have to change my satellite?

If you are swapping one for the other then your monthly fee won't change. You can get the HD access free with auto debiting. I'm not sure what you mean by changing your satellite. If you mean the dish, it depends on what kind you have now. You need the Slimline to get hd channels.

If you have an 18" or phase 3 dish, it will have to be changed to either a slimline 3 or slimline 5. The slimline is needed to get the hd channels. If you don't have a swm system, you will need 2 bbcs, put one each if the sat inputs on the hddvr. And you will have to call D* to order hd programming if you don't subscribe to hd programming. HD is $10 extra.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Well I googled imaged the slimeline and the satellite appears to be oval, mine is just round. Will the receiver work just as is with my current set up? Im not all that interested in the HD programing, just having the new receiver... would directv let me do that? Basically just swapping out my R22 for the HR24 is what im asking.

Well I googled imaged the slimeline and the satellite appears to be oval, mine is just round. Will the receiver work just as is with my current set up? Im not all that interested in the HD programing, just having the new receiver... would directv let me do that? Basically just swapping out my R22 for the HR24 is what im asking.

It will work fine, just no hd channels. There is no real benefit to the HR24 over the R22 if you aren't going to use it for hd, except the HR24 is a faster box. Come to think of it, I think you have to have hd in order to have the H/HR series boxes.

It will work fine, just no hd channels. There is no real benefit to the HR24 over the R22 if you aren't going to use it for hd, except the HR24 is a faster box. Come to think of it, I think you have to have hd in order to have the H/HR series boxes.

Yeah thats probably why its prompting me to have the professional installation option as the first one instead of at home installation at check out, cuz the dish is wrong ect.

Yeah thats probably why its prompting me to have the professional installation option as the first one instead of at home installation at check out, cuz the dish is wrong ect.

Yes, this is the last I heard too.

If you have a HD box your required to have the HD package, however, like Chip mentioned, if you sign up for AutoPayment, the HD is free for what was it 24 months .... are they still doing that ?

and sadly the R22 they wont activate the HD on unless there is a "real" HD receiver on the account. What I did was I kept the R22's I have and when I got HD I added a receiver. They set up a H23 in the computer room and then activated the HD on the R22

The R22 is like a HR21 and I figured "why pay 200 bucks for a HD DVR when I can pay 100 bucks to add a HD receiver and then I have 2 HD DVR's and a HD unit"
(100 bucks is 16 months of the $6 extra receiver fee)

The satellites are in orbit 32,000 miles out in the Clarke Belt.

The round thing on the roof comes in various flavors. It is called a parabolic dish antenna and is referred to as an ODU (Out Door Unit). They focus signals from the satellites.

IRD (Integrated Receiver Decoder)
The IRD is the official name for the satellite receiver, which has a built-in decoder for unscrambling subscription channels.

There is more to it than what I mentioned.

Joe

Joe

Last edited:
The satellites are in orbit 32,000 miles out in the Clarke Belt.

The round thing on the roof comes in various flavors. It is called a parabolic dish antenna and is referred to as an ODU (Out Door Unit). They focus signals from the satellites.

IRD (Integrated Receiver Decoder)
The IRD is the official name for the satellite receiver, which has a built-in decoder for unscrambling subscription channels.

There is more to it than what I mentioned.

Joe

Joe

Not to be too picky Joe, but the satellites are closer to 23000 miles in space

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Me mind is like a steel trap. 32,000 is in gotta get it out and insert 23,000. My point was that the satellite is not on the roof.

AND

SEARCHING FOR SATELLITE SIGNAL

"Searching for satellite? Daddy, daddy, daddy....this man done nailed it to the wall outside just before he hooked up them wires to the TV"

23,000 miles you say?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Install using existing cable tap?

DIRECTV Launches Field Test of its Home Media Server

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)