Help Please... builder waiting!

Spendar

Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Hi all, first let me apologize for my lack of knowledge regarding this topic... glad to see so many who have some advice to give in this area and I appreciate any help you can offer. Second I apologize for length of post... don't know how else to ask.

We're currently building a house and regular RG-6 cable was run into the house and into all rooms. We've now decided to hang our Samsung LN-S3241D above fireplace. There is a regular cable outlet there but question was what to do with components (Dish receiver and DVD). Builder suggested running cable from outlet behind TV through ceiling and down side wall to put cabinet there with components. So the question they are asking is... continue with RG-6 or run a different/better cable from that outlet over to wall outlet where components will get connected? I have read a little about different cables (HDMI, S video, etc...), but what I don't know is would it make any difference to pay more and run a different kind of cable now that all the other cable is RG-6?

If they stick with the same RG-6 to the wall outlet, what about connections from the wall to the components? We currently have Dish DVPlus 625 Dual DVR and TV is connected with regular coax cable. Will probably stick with this receiver even though TV is HD (picture is pretty good) but will upgrade to HD when we recover from building costs.... ugh :shocked....

So, if outlets from wall are reg coax, can you use some other type of cable to the receiver and/or DVD for better picture; and can you use a different cable from wall to TV for better picture? And can you upgrade connections later or are you stuck with coax since that's what run in walls?

Thanks for any help, builder/electrician are ready to move on this and I don't know what to tell them.:confused:

Well this really depends on what you want to do. If you use a HT receiver in the location where your DVD and Sat receiver are going to be, you can use that to switch between sources. Then you would only need to run 1 set of cables to the tv location. If you want seperate connections for everything then you will need multiple sets.

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. A long HDMI or DVI cable is going to cost a bit of money. You could just run 6 lines of RG-6 and use those for you audio and video as well, you just use the right connection.

It really depends on what you want to spend.

Hi Dave, thanks for the info... can you clarify a bit for me?

I don't think we can afford to do HDMI the length that we will need right now. So if we run 1 coax from the wall to the back of the TV, is it poss to still upgrade to the HD Sat receiver with that connection. And what exactly is an HT receiver?

If it were me, with a HDTV, I would run several lines. Run the RG6, a component and a HDMI/DVI cable to where your cabinet will be located. Think about future upgrades now while the wall is open. Also, make sure that the sat input is run to your cabinet where your receiver will be located.

A HT receiver is also know as a Home Theater receiver. You would plug in all your components, TV, DVD, VCR for surround sound.

Chack out Monoprice.com for great cable prices.

Last edited:
If it were me, with a HDTV, I would run several lines. Run the RG6, a component and a HDMI/DVI cable to where your cabinet will be located. Think about future upgrades now while the wall is open. Also, make sure that the sat input is run to your cabinet where your receiver will be located.

A HT receiver is also know as a Home Theater receiver. You would plug in all your components, TV, DVD, VCR for surround sound.

YES!! "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of regret."

--Doug

To be on the safe side, I would install 1 1/2" or 2" PVC from the center of where the Samsung is mounted to the location where the receiver is going to be. This way changes can be made later.

Make sure you use the grey PVC and the rounded 90's to make pulling wire easier.

Thanks Voyager, that helps... hubby would love HT set-up. Just don't know if we can afford the stuff as mentioned after granite, floor, lighting, etc... etc... upgrades. Walls are done, so electrician has to come back and is charging $300 to do just 1coax and 1 electrical run from back of TV area to side wall outlet.

However, i'm sure we will upgrade TV, Sat receiver, etc... in future, so what you're saying makes sense. If we get him to run HDMI, do we still need coax and component lines as well? Would he be the one to run the sat input or will the sat installer do that when he's out to install dish?

Also, if the line going into the house is reg. RG-6, will the HDMI from the receiver to the TV give a better picture? Sorry, I'm just not real up on how all this works and when I try to research it, it just confuses the crap out of me and makes my head hurt.

thanks though for trying to help.

To be on the safe side, I would install 1 1/2" or 2" PVC from the center of where the Samsung is mounted to the location where the receiver is going to be. This way changes can be made later.

Make sure you use the grey PVC and the rounded 90's to make pulling wire easier.

Exactly what I was going to say, but with the walls done, its a little more difficult.

So, if pvc is out and we go ahead with HDMI, do we still need to run coax and component cables with the HDMI from the wall outlet to the TV? And if the line going into the house is reg. RG-6, will the HDMI from the receiver to the TV improve the picture quality and/or allow us to receive HD programming (assuming we upgrade to Dish HD receiver & programming)?

The only thing with HDMI is it has proven to be very unreliable. I would run atleast 6 RG-6 lines from the cabinet to the back of the TV. This will give you the same as having the Red, Blue, and Green cables for video, Red and White cables for audio, and 1 extra cable for OTA antenna or a spare.

I had 22 RG-6 cables installed in home (kitchen too) when built, into a Home Distribution Cabinet in the garage. Ran two to all locations. Some I am sure I will never use, but house is brick and on a slab. Can use as inputs or outputs to just about any wall. Also did the same with phone lines. Has really worked out great.

See that there is a new converter that can send HD using RG-6 now so installing now may keep you future proof. However if you have a basement or craw it really does not take that much effort to add later.

See that there is a new converter that can send HD using RG-6 now so installing now may keep you future proof. However if you have a basement or craw it really does not take that much effort to add later.
Can you post a link to that? Im looking at HD across two CAT5s...but I would still have to run one of those CAT5s. Using existing wiring would be great!

I almost posted it when I saw it this week as a new product. It was only about $250. Any help out there? I'm sure I was not the only one. Will try and figure out where it was. Would have thought it would have been posted. And yes it was full HD!

StevenD

I get so much e-mail about my hobby. I just can't find it. This was a Custom Install Site about new products for installers. It even had a picture and price. Since I didn't have any reason now to want this (3 HD LCD & this HD computer monitor all networked but not showing HD) I thought how smart I was using RG6. This new unit could be something to add in the future. Have looked around and can not find a Link for you. Have seen this before in an article about how to view more HD in the future with only one HD receiver from DirecTV or DISH. The HD ...SD picture second output from the DISH VIP 622 DVR is so good viewed on these three new Panasconic LCD sets I don't really care about viewing them in HD at the present. Have remotes that work from any room and can watch either DISH HD or DirecTV SD on any set, live or recorded. Was also going to put CAT5 in but electrician talked me out of it saying having in/out (2) RG6 to all locations would never go out of date and was much cheaper. Think is was right and have even seen articles that D* & E* would link HD receivers using RG6 NOT CAT in the future. Sorry I didn't print out but maybe someone else can send you what you want. I would still vote to install a lot of cheap RG6 cables for anyone building a new home. Good Luck & Enjoy.

Well, I bought a house that was 95% complete. So, the sheetrock was already up when I bought it. There is currently a bunch of locations that have one CAT5 and one RG6. Im looking at the AVatrix stuff from Audio Authority. It requires two CAT5 cables at each location to distribute HD + Digital audio from 7 source to 6 locations. Its about $4000 + the cost of an electrician to run the extra CAT5 to each of my locations.

As far as the high definition future is concerned, this is one vision that espouses the all RG-6 mindset:

http://www.pulse-link.com/

Oct 16, 2006 Pulse~Link Demonstrates Simultaneous Operation Of 1394 And Ethernet Over Coax At Connected@Home Conference
Demonstration Features CWave™ UWB Chipset on Mini-PCI Card

Carlsbad, CA-October 16, 2006 - Pulse~LINK, Inc., developer of CWave™ UWB solutions for whole-home High Definition multimedia connectivity, will conduct an unprecedented public demonstration of high data rate HD video transmissions using both 1394 (Firewire™/iLink™) and Ethernet simultaneously over the same coaxial cable at the Connected@Home conference this week in San Diego. The demonstration features Pulse~LINK’s CWave™ chipset implemented in Mini-PCI card form. The Connected@Home Executive Conference, presented by the Continental Automated Buildings Association (CABA), takes place October 15-17, 2006, at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.

Service providers and industry groups see use of existing in-home coaxial cable as a logical backbone for whole-home multimedia and data networks whereby movies, music and data located on any device in the home can be easily accessed and enjoyed from any other location within the home. Coaxial cable is ideal as a digital distribution backbone for multimedia content throughout the home since coax is already deployed in a significant majority of households. CWave’s ability to seamlessly merge both Coax and Wireless connections into one hybrid network using the same chipset addresses many shortcomings such as reliable coverage, security, Quality of Service and throughput limitations that wireless technologies alone have been unable to overcome.

From a throughput perspective, the ability to support multiple simultaneous streams of High Definition content with “Trick Play” (for pause, fast forward and fast rewind), as well as interactive menus, can require throughputs of several hundreds of megabits. Pulse~LINK’s CWave™ technology has already been independently validated by a leading test house to achieve the highest performance available, with over 400Mbps of application layer throughput available across hundreds of feet of consumer grade RG59 coax, including consumer grade cable splitters, varying cable lengths and un-terminated coax stubs. This is enough to support five simultaneous streams of High Definition content with Trick Play, as well as additional data, throughout the home. The Pulse~LINK demonstration at the Connected@Home conference shows five simultaneous High Definition video streams using 1394 and Ethernet across the coaxial cable.

“This is a major breakthrough for service providers, set-top box manufactures and virtually all CE companies who want HD content moved around the home,” states Bruce Watkins, President/COO of Pulse~LINK. “Each of these interface standards have important attributes for the digital home. With our CWave™ products, both 1394 and Ethernet are simultaneously supported by the same chipset across the same physical network.”

Such whole-home networks drive the objectives of several hundred companies participating in groups such as the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA), the High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance (HANA), and others. DLNA prefers an Ethernet-based approach for networking personal content such as home videos and photos, while HANA prefers an approach based on 1394 technology for commercial premium content, and it is likely that both 1394 and Ethernet will be used as networking technologies in the digital home landscape. Pulse~LINK, a member company of both HANA and DLNA, will demonstrate how CWave™ has the ability to support both approaches simultaneously on the same coaxial network backbone using a common chipset, enabling Ethernet and 1394 networks to coexist with one another and with services already being carried across the coaxial cable from MSO, Telco, or SAT service providers.

“Pulse~LINK’s solution helps solve the issues surrounding video and data delivery and brings together both worlds,” states Bob King, Vice Chairman of HANA. “This demonstration showcases the ability for a common platform to network both personal and commercial content throughout the home.”

The CWave™ Mini-PCI card used in the demonstration is the basis of Pulse~LINK’s current evaluation kit. CWave™ is the first technology to facilitate room-to-room distribution of multiple streams of HDTV over in-home coaxial cable and wireless networks with guaranteed QoS for broadcast quality video. CWave’s Gigabit data rates enable simultaneous streaming of multiple HDTV programs with interactive “Trick-Play” capabilities, high quality multi-channel audio, and high-speed data for unprecedented whole-home connectivity.

“We are extremely excited that Pulse~LINK has chosen to participate in CABA’s Connected@Home event,” states Ronald J. Zimmer, CABA President & CEO. "CWave™ represents the emergence of a whole new breed of innovative technologies for total whole home connectivity. Their demonstration of CWave™ is a technological leap forward in the distribution of multimedia and data content throughout the home and should be a major influence on the consumer electronics marketplace in coming years."

About Pulse~LINK, Inc.
Pulse-LINK, Inc. is a privately held Delaware Corporation headquartered in Carlsbad, California, with over 280 issued and pending patents pertaining to UWB wired and wireless communications technology. Pulse~LINK’s CWave? solution provides up to Gigabit data rates over coax and wireless networks from the same chipset, enabling consumers the unprecedented ability to stream and distribute high quality multimedia content throughout the home. For additional information about Pulse~LINK, Inc., please visit: http://www.pulselink.net.

About CABA
CABA is the only industry association to offer industry intelligence to stakeholders in all areas of home & building automation. CABA's resources cover areas such as HVAC, lighting, security, A/V, communications technologies, energy management and controls. A number of resources are available through the association including iHomes & Buildings magazine, CABA's Summits and Conferences, CABA's monthly eBulletin, Information Series reports, Event Reports and the CABA web site. Please visit http://www.caba.org for further information.

Forward Looking Statements
Any statements contained in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All forward-looking statements rely on assumptions and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations.

###

For More Information:

Pulse~LINK, Inc.
Laurie Watkins
Office:(760) 591-3514
Mobile: (858) 349-1989
lwatkins@pulselink.net[/e

[B]This is not the Link I saw but does show that RG6 can and will be used for HD as well as CAT5[/B]

Last edited:
I wish I could just buy a bunch of ATSC modulators and distribute my video throughout the house that way. Oh well...maybe some day.

Anime Network

ViP622 - Weird signal loss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)